Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
More Suggestions for Removng Urine Smells ...
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:32 AM
Originally posted by: eileenv

quote:
2 yards is the size of a twin bed, 1 yard for a place on the sofa so it goes up the back and down the front a little, 1/2 yard fits chairs good.

Thanks so much !!!!! I wasn't sure how much to buy. Does it get slippery when they sit on it? Should I put a regular sheet over the flannel?
Internal Administrator

My Dad has a lot of urine accidents down the front of his slacks. Mom has been hanging them up to dry, waiting for me to stop by and pick up the laundry. Needless to say, a couple of days of dried-in urine sinks and is tough to remove with regular washing.

This I discovered by accident.
I have a top loading washing machine. I had the soap, Oxiclean and baking soda in the wash water already and added the clothes on top. I forgot to CLOSE the lid. The machine does not continue the cycle unless the lid in down.
The wash load sat overnight in the soapy water.
The next day, I caught my mistake, closed the lid, and let the machine do its thing.

Wow - the smell was greatly reduced ... almost gone!!!
I didn't have to dump a lot of fabric softner in it to cover the smell.

I know, its a small triumph and maybe you all already know this, but for me, it was a big deal.

I even dream about doing their laundry and trying to get it clean. The cleaning-up for Alzheimer's is never ending!

I hope this trick works for you too.

Eileen Smiler
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Teri R

A cup of white vinegar in the wash cycle can even get rid of CAT PEE odors !!! (the worst)
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Deirdre44

quote:
Originally posted by eileenv:
My Dad has a lot of urine accidents down the front of his slacks. Mom has been hanging them up to dry, waiting for me to stop by and pick up the laundry. Needless to say, a couple of days of dried-in urine sinks and is tough to remove with regular washing.

This I discovered by accident.
I have a top loading washing machine. I had the soap, Oxiclean and baking soda in the wash water already and added the clothes on top. I forgot to CLOSE the lid. The machine does not continue the cycle unless the lid in down.
The wash load sat overnight in the soapy water.
The next day, I caught my mistake, closed the lid, and let the machine do its thing.

Wow - the smell was greatly reduced ... almost gone!!!
I didn't have to dump a lot of fabric softner in it to cover the smell.

I know, its a small triumph and maybe you all already know this, but for me, it was a big deal.

I even dream about doing their laundry and trying to get it clean. The cleaning-up for Alzheimer's is never ending!

I hope this trick works for you too.

Eileen Smiler

My mom used to love soaking items - and white vinegar is amazing. baking soda too (I wonder if they foam together)
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Jharbolt,
Welcome to our World. Thanmk you for your ideas.
Please do tell us something about yourself and your situation.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Grama Herc

For pee in carpets, simply cover the spot with baking soda and lwork into the fiber. Leave for a day or 2 and vacuum out. Still smells, moisten the area and apply more baking soda. Gets out cat pee---Works
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jharbolt

I have tried several things to get the urine smell as well as poo odor out of my mothers clothes. I recently tried Tide sport and it seems to work wonders. I have had to wash my mom's clothes twice in the washer before puting them in the dryer and with Tide sport i only have to wash them once.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: butterflyznbeez

My dad would always pee all over the bathroom when trying to use it, I would clean with 409 first, then use the "Miracle Pet Odor Remover" after cleaning and the odor was gone!!! It can be found @ PetSmart. I would put it in my steam cleaner for carpets too or even in laundry...But Another item that works on Protein stains....VERY GOOD and Guaranteed is TOTALLY TODDLER. Found at most Wal Marts! You can search for it online and get coupons for it too from their online site.

BUT....VINEGAR is a great option too! 50/50 vinegar & water in spray bottle sprayed in carpet to soak area, let completely dry, then wash with simple soap cleaner in a steam cleaner. It breaks down the enzymes in urine.

Another one I got from a worker from the Alzheimers Assoc... is URINE OUT @ local Chow Hound, but I would imagine @ many pet supply stores.

Good luck!
Julie
Anonymous
Originally posted by: lovemom58

I was doing 3 loads of pee clothes and bed linens and blankets a day. Febreeze has an odor reducer for the washing machine. It is different from the spray for fabrics. This one is in the laundry isle. Each wash load I used detergent, non chlorine bleach, oxylean and the febreeze laundry. Scented dryer sheets help also. Get flannel covered rubber sheeting by the yard at a large fabric store. I put in under the bedsheet, on top of the bed where she sat, on her dining chair, rocker, sofa, etc. Helps keep the pee and odor off of the furniture and gets thrown in the wash load.
Anonymous

Thanks lovemom58.

I'm going to look for the flannel covered rubber sheeting. I'm not much of a seamtress but I'll give it a go.

Also - Nutra Air by Lysol works on removing oders

Take care
Eileen
Anonymous
Originally posted by: DianeK

Try using Atmosklear http://www.amazon.com/Ellens-A...inator/dp/B000NNGTJK. You can find spray bottls or gallon jugs at Ace hardware. I use it for pet accidents and it is wonderful - i don't smell a thing! you can put it on the fabric before washing or spray it on hard surfaces.
Diane
Anonymous
Originally posted by: lovemom58

wonderful thing about the flannel covered rubber sheeting.....you cut it to size. that is it. I had it left over from my daughter's crib (diaper and training stages). I used those to start. Next time the fabric store had a 50% off coupon I bought many yards, and cut to size at home. 2 yards is the size of a twin bed, 1 yard for a place on the sofa so it goes up the back and down the front a little, 1/2 yard fits chairs good.

× Close Menu