Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Benefits of taking Cinnamon and Alzheimers
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 10:17 AM
Originally posted by: Dave1980

quote:
Originally posted by john1943:
Actually, cassia cinnamon, consumed in large quantities can cause problems because it contains a substance called coumarin. On the other hand, cinnamon verum (true cinnamon) is considered safe to use as much as you want.

Thanks for the caution and the link to the other thread. That is one humongous thread (8 long pages) and needs a great of patience to just go through once
Ceylon cinnamon is the one to use. There is a site called ceylon-cinnamon.com, it says it is from Sri Lanka, and has an ISD number with +94 which is the correct ISD code for Sri Lanka. However, it is better to confirm that the sticks of cinnamon are indeed thin and lighter in colour as shown in various images on sites. For example, I found the cinnamon I have is brown and stronger compared to what seems to ceylon/true cinnamon.

Wikipedia has a good description of this difference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-18
which is a pointer to the same site:
http://www.ceylon-cinnamon.com/Identify-Cinnamon.htm
Anonymous
Originally posted by: DiDi

1/2 tsp. of cinnamon is quite a lot. How do you take it? Just sprinkle it randomly on food, in drinks, or is there a tablet form?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: madmax69

[quote]Be careful. MDadvice.com says that cinnamon is rated dangerous, particularly for persons over 55 years old. This would seem to apply to most readers of this Forum. Everything in moderation is always an important consideration.
Bill[/quote]

Sorry but Bill is completely wrong in the above. I've taken the time to check the site and it says no such thing. What it says for cinnamon verum (true cinnamon) although Chinese cinnamon is likely to be the same is:

"cinnamon: cinnamomum verum
Rated relatively safe when taken in appropriate quantities for short periods of time."
http://www.mdadvice.com/library/vita/vitamin282.html

If you check the site you will see that the toxicity phrase Bill quoted for "people over 55 and those..." (the mention of age 55 is the key to the error) is a standard "boilerplate entry" for their herbal toxicity page and may be found for other herbs. This leads me to believe he has simply misread the wrong entry for an adjacent herb such as Christmas Rose, say, two entries above which matches his assertion. e.g.

"christmas rose: helleborus niger
Rated dangerous, particularly for children, people over 55 and those who take larger-than-appropriate quantities for extended periods of time."

Far from nitpicking this is VERY important and needs to be corrected! Casual claims of toxicity should always be backed up by an accurate reference or a weblink to enable the claim to be quickly verified. Interjecting a spurious claim of toxicity in a theraputic element of diet helps no-one. If you see no such citation then always go and check the claim yourself Wink

Although I am sure this was quoted with good intent, it is unfortunate that one unverified comment on a forum means anyone doing serious research into Alzheimers may have to spend an hour or two cross-checking the claim. Bear in mind that whatever you claim will find it's way into Google and then may be (falsely) repeated ad-nauseam on other forums without checks until a simple transcription error acquires the status of fact. I note that mdadvice.com MIGHT perhaps have also made an error and since corrected it.

Cinnamon may be toxic only in VERY acute dosage or if allergic. The checks I've just made suggest it is NOT a cumulative toxin and the risks of acute toxicity are minimal if used as a foodstuff. i.e. you would have to ingest more than a palatable quantity to be at risk.

Allegations of a degree of toxicity can also be made against all common foodstuffs and you will find entries for them in most OELs (occupational exposure levels) and COSHH material safety data sheets. These too may be too easily confused by inexperienced people with dietary safety.

Here is one for RAW cinnemaldehyde
http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_228740.html

I've subscribed to the forum only to correct this error which may dissuade people from trying what looks to be a *very* promising herbal therapy. Note: if researching you may need to research diabetes where Alzheimer's will often be referenced in passing.

I came across cinnamon as I was researching the diabetes/blood sugar connection as I've already successfully demonstrated in a relative a causal connection between dietary sugars and agitative mania (an erroneously claimed aspect of "sundowning"). Dietary reduction in sugars have eliminated the mania/agitation/paraphasia and this can be reversed or triggered by introduction of sugars/carbs, particularly during a diabetic's typically-sensitive afternoon period. In my relative's case diabetes runs in the family although it is not diagnosed in them.

References:

http://www.dracoherbs.com/extracts%20facts/EF0404.htm
Toxicity of Cinnomon (concentrated) oil (non oral)
http://www.amphora-wholesale.com/cinnamon-essential-10ml-p-11.html

http://media.www.thechannelsonline.com/media/storage/paper669/news/2008/03/26/News/Cinnamon.And.Spice.May.Be.More.Than.Just.Nice-3284933.shtml
http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/More-support-for-cinnamon-extract-benefits-for-diabetics

Cinnamon Tech Briefing (direct PDF link)
Cinnamon therapy and Tau Protein tangles
http://www.ibridgenetwork.org/innovations/download_tech_brief/3417

Maternal Alzheimer's Links and Defective Blood Glucose Metabolism
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080730155335.htm

OSHA.GOV (cinnamaldehyde extract)
http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_228740.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraphasia

Links between Tea and acetylcholinesterase (c/w Aricept AC inhibitor)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3951003.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer%27s_Disease#Pharmaceutical
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: PattyH

I want to get the word out about Cinnamon and the benefits of taking it.

About 6 weeks ago I was told that there was a study in Europe that showed taking cinnamon helped Arthritis, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. I did a search on the internet and found studies showing that taking cinnamon helped with Arthritis and also showed that it could cut glucose levels down as much as 30% for people with type 2 diabetes. It was also shown to help with cholesterol. I didn't find anything out about it for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Except that one research institute in california is going to do a clinical trial with cinnamon and Alzheimers.

Since Mom does have arthritis I figured it could do any harm. In August mom was having problems processing things. She had fallen - wasn't hurt but could figure out how to get up. At dinner she said she couldn't eat all of her sandwich. Her sister said to just take out the meat and eat that. You could see the blank look on mom's face that she didn't understand what her sister was telling her. She just poked at the sandwich with her fork. I was looking into day care for her instead of a companion for 4 hours three times a week. I was hoping I could still keep her home for another year.

After being on the cinnamon and taking warm water aqua therapy classes, I have my mom back. She has started washing dishes again she hasn't done in over 9 months. She use to be very religious about making her bed every day - that stopped about 2 years ago. Now she has said "I didn't make my bed today - I never do that". Her thought process is back, she is now remembering her old co-workers and their full names. She isn't having any more problems with her thought process. These things might seem small but they are huge for me. I feels like I have my mom back.

Here are a couple of web links with additional information

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/26/12/3215

http://diabetes.about.com/od/whatsonthehorizon/qt/cinnamon.htm (This one at the bottom tells about the proposed study for Alzheimer's)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/04/040414003908.htm

Every day mom has regained lost ground. It is exciting to watch!!!!

Patty Hertel

PS even her companion has seen great improvement with Mom.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: john1943

Actually, cassia cinnamon, consumed in large quantities can cause problems because it contains a substance called coumarin. On the other hand, cinnamon verum (true cinnamon) is considered safe to use as much as you want.

Cinnamon verum comes from Ceylon and Sri Lanka. Ceylon cinnamon is readily available from stores that specialize in spices, such as Penzeys.

If you go to the "Medications and Treatments" sub-topic, use the "Find" button to search for "cinnamon really helps", and click on some of the links that come up, you will see a very thorough discussion.

PS. The water soluble part of cassia cinnamon is aok. Swafmaker makes a cinnamon tea out of it and discards the solids.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Marcus

DIRECTIONS:For adults,take two(2)Capsules per day,perferably with meals.That is 2 1000mg capsules per day for a total of 2000mg per day.As a reminder,discuss the supplements and medications you take with your health care provider.WARNING:Not intended for use by pregnant or nursing women.If you are taking any medications,consult your doctor before use.Discontinue use and consult your doctor if any adverse reactions ooccur.QUESTIONS:Call toll free 1-877-273-9255
Anonymous
Originally posted by: PattyH

Changes in Mom after taking Cinnamon

August

Mom fell and couldn’t process how to get up.
She couldn’t process how to remove the meat from a sandwich and just eat the meet.
She was having problems remembering her sister’s husband’s name. She kept calling her grandson Matthew by her deceased son’s name Peter.
She had no initiative to do anything.
She has stopped all house work for a year.
She was at the point of wanted to be waited on.
I had her make her own sandwich one day and had to walk her thru each step on how to make the sandwich.
Any negative items really shook her and she couldn't deal with.
Had to keep conversations light and simple.

First of October I started her on the following items:
Hot water Aqua Therapy classes for Arthritis
3 capsules of cinnamon a day.

Items notices in October.
The thought process has cleared. No more blank looks
She is starting to do dishes again.
She asked if she could help make dinner. I had the ingredient out to make a meatloaf. I asked if she wanted to make the meet loaf. I only had to tell her how much of the ingredient to put in. Then she made the meat loaf, shaped it and put it in the pan.
She was able to keep her hair nice for one week after a perm. Didn’t wet it down and take out the curl.
Recognized Harriet has someone she knows and then was able to give me her complete last name. Palmer Willis.
She is able to walk more and not use a store scooter.
She use to make her bed every day – that stopped a couple of years ago – one day she said “ I didn’t make my bed today – what’s with me?”

11/2 I turned on the TV and then went to paint ceramics. Mom changed the channel to find something different to watch instead of turning off the TV and going to bed.
11/3 Remember that Mara went to the craft show with us.
11/4 Stopped calling Matthew Peter
11/5 Called because she wanted to watch TV and wanted to know what was on. She then changed the channel at 5 pm to news. The TV has now been on every evening since with the news. For the past two winters would come home from work find mom sitting in the dark playing a puzzle on her computer. She didn’t turn on lights or the TV.
11/6 Remembers the craft show. Remembered that Wheel of Fortune is on at 6:30 on channel 7
11/6 Was able to talk about a negative thing at work today and it didn’t upset her.
11/6 I arrange for the vents to be cleaned in the house. They were scheduled to arrive at 1 pm. They showed up at 11 am. Mom was able to take it in stride and helped clean things from vents. She use to get really upset and unsettled when I had someone coming to the house to do repairs – she insisted that I was there when they came.
11/7 Concerned about keeping her hair nice
11/7 Voluntarily talked at the Church meeting
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Sherlockspal

Be careful. MDadvice.com says that cinnamon is rated dangerous, particularly for persons over 55 years old. This would seem to apply to most readers of this Forum. Everything in moderation is always an important consideration.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: LCB

Has anybody experienced pain relief from cinnamon and honey?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Dave1980

Hi folks,
Dad is diagnosed with Alzheimers, though doctors feel telling the patient is demoralising and so we have not told him.

He recently had an ischemic stroke and the MRI showed other problems and everything seems to fall in place about his confused behaviour, memory loss, losing his way occasionally, losing interest, and so on.

He is 79, was extremely active till he got he stroke (which itself built up slowly over months) and never needed any help, and volunteered at a social service organisation while also managing family finances!

It's quite a sudden shock for us and totally unexpected in a person so active.

His activity and will power hid the disease for so long!!

Back to the topic,
Out here in Mumbai, India, we get sticks of cinnamon("dalchini") from the local spice market. I think I shall get a few sticks, grind them in a mixer and give him spoonfuls for a few days to see if it actually helps.

Thanks to madmax69 for clarifying that cinnamon is not dangerous. It is a regular and popular spice in food in India, but capsules have a lot more cinnamon than when taken as a spice.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: nicnat

Hey thanks for this it is worth a shot. But how much cinnamon do you give her in a day
Anonymous
Originally posted by: MicheleC.

Hi Patty,
I just wanted to say that I was quite impressed about the cinnamon that you gave your mom.
myself and my sisters have just come across our mom being more forgetful with every day that passes and altho she's in N.Y. we will be moving her to another state so that one of us can look after her. this is Michele
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Dave,
Welcome to our world. We're so glad you found us from far off India.

Do come back.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Pet's Angel

Hi there...thank you for this easy tip on cinnamon. I will definitely try it and watch for improvements. Is this why there are hardly any more "cinnamon" flavored gum? I love cinnamon and I cannot find this flavor in chewing gum anymore. I think cinnamon will soon be categorized as a drug product so they can make money...is it time to stock up?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Deb J

Interested in notes about cinnamon. What stage of alzheimers was you Mom at? Is she still improving? Is this given in supplement form or just from "spice container"? Thanks
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ZOEY M

I wonder if putting it in after you put the coffee grounds in filter works? Or does HOT water diffuse its use for AD? ZOEY M Roll Eyes
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lydia618

Just a little funny about taking cinnamon capsules... I decided to try them, figured, what can it hurt?

Yesterday, about 5 minutes after I took my morning capsule, I coughed- and when I coughed a powdered cinnamon cloud came out of my mouth and into the air in front of me. Its hard to describe, but it was hilarious. I had to get a big drink of water. No one was here to witness this- Thankfully!

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: janeo2

I too have read articles on the benefits of cinnamon, and have tried it with my 85 yr old father with AD. I have seen good results with his memory. It surprised me , but it does seem to help. He loves cinnamon toast with his breakfast.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: barbara McG

The cinnamon cloud did make me laugh!! I have a cinnamon product called Cinnamon Force from
NewChapter www.newchapter.info. They are a company in Vermont that makes incredible products that are excellent quality and there cinnamonforce is made from two species of the plant, and is a little gelcap. It is about the size of your pinky fingernail, and easy to swallow. No clouds!
There products tend to be a bit more expensive, but the quality makes up for the quantity.

Their products are more "bioavailable" which means that they are in a form that is more available to the body because they are derived from food and processed differently than other supplements. Much of other supplements the body cannot absorb the whole thing, and much of it passes through unabsorbed in the urine.

What I like the best about this product is that the gel caps are small.
b-
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Beach627

Sounds like an interesting Idea. I too am wondering how much to make a difference.

Debbie for Aunt Shirley
Anonymous
Originally posted by: skericheri

Pat--Welcome.

Cinnamon is my favorite spice. Never knew that it could do any thing good for your health. Cinnamon may not cure our ills..but it will not kill us. Found the following information at...

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html

"1. Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.

2. Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

3. In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

4. In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.

5. It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

6. In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

7. When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

8. One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.

9. Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

10. It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium."
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SherylS

My sister's DIL is of Lebanese descent. She said they sprinkle cinnamon on roasts as a tenderizer.

I tried it and I liked it!! Sure a lot cooks away but it really did tenderize the meat and I liked the flavor.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: skericheri

Marcus---The price is right but I think that the dosage that they are talking about is 1000 and not 2000. Will pick up some this afternoon...Recheck the dosage...and...Charlie and I will start on the pills tomorrow.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jezza

Madmax - you're truly the good Samaritan! Thanks so much for your extra research and thoughtfulness.
Anonymous

Whoops My Bottle Says 1000mg then in small print per serving. With 2 capsules making up a serving.Read the fine print but I still think that 2000mg per day will be safe and effective.
Anonymous

Wal~Mart sells Cinnamon. 100 1000mg capsules for $4.95 made by Rexall.Everyone on the ALZTalk.org chat are taking them or giving them to their loved ones.We are hoping it was not just a flute.We are hoping that the recommended amount of 2000mg a day will work but would not try more because there is a toxic amount.Since there is nothing saying that it is harmful we are doing our own research.If you are waiting on the FDA to do the research just forget it,Your love one(or you) will be long gone before the results are in.Where is the Alzhemed?

× Close Menu