Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
please share...
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 11:23 AM
Originally posted by: Ttom

quote:
Originally posted by cacoon:
Hi Ttom, Your posts are being very helpful to me. They really sharpen my focus.
Thanks.

Im so happy for you! Smiler Being upbeat just about tops any advise and you are there my friend!
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by cacoon:
I'd say one of the most successful things I do is to slow down... I notice an entirely different quality of relationship with my LO.

Slowing down (for me) includes
1)letting silence be all right
2)breathing deeply while waiting for him to respond (instead of jabbering away with my next thought)
3) when my LO is starting a project (like painting a card to send to a friend), I resist the urge to get busy with my own unending list of tasks and, instead, I wait to see if he can get the materials together to get started

I think that tip would be of extraordinary help to me. Thank You for your input!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: cacoon

Hi Ttom, Your posts are being very helpful to me. They really sharpen my focus. I am now noticing things I do/don't do which help or don't help my LO.

For instance, this morning when LO finished his breakfast, he said, "I'll clear the plate now." I said "Thank you" and I STARTED to say, "While you're up, could you also..." but, remembering your advice to SIMPLIFY, I stopped myself and repeated "Thank you".

I am also remembering more often to notice and praise the things my LO does well - and there are many. I find this a very successful strategy not only for my LO (he loves the praise as do we all) but also for me because it helps me focus on the positive.

Thanks.
Internal Administrator

any success story about how a healthy spouse has decided to support your loved one with Alzheimer's. Thanx in advance, I need your support.
Anonymous

Preventing agitation
To prevent or reduce agitation:

Create a calm environment. Remove stressors, triggers or danger; move person to a safer or quieter place; offer rest or privacy; limit caffeine use; provide opportunity for exercise; develop soothing rituals; and use gentle reminders.

Avoid environmental triggers. Triggers include noise, glare, insecure space and too much background distraction, including television.

Monitor personal comfort, Check for pain, hunger, thirst, constipation, full bladder, fatigue, infections and skin irritation; ensure a comfortable temperature; be sensitive to fears, misperceived threats and frustration with expressing what is wanted.

Simplify tasks and routines.
Anonymous

I really was hopeing to read a few tips
Anonymous
Originally posted by: cacoon

Ttom,
I really appreciate your asking this question because a lot of the time I tend to notice what I'm doing wrong and your question inspires me to think about what I'm doing right. I'd say one of the most successful things I do is to slow down, which isn't easy for me. But when I do slow down, I notice an entirely different quality of relationship with my LO. It's sort of like entering into his time zone (usually I'm about 3 hours ahead). Slowing down (for me) includes 1)letting silence be all right; 2)breathing deeply while waiting for him to respond (instead of jabbering away with my next thought); 3) when my LO is starting a project (like painting a card to send to a friend), I resist the urge to get busy with my own unending list of tasks and, instead, I wait to see if he can get the materials together to get started - but I don't jump in to "assist," I wait to see how it goes and if he does need assistance, I try to assist with a light hand. Often, it is this time - while he is "getting started" - that is the most fulfilling, because while it can feel to me (the impatient part of me) like I'm Not Doing Anything, the calm part of me emerges and is happy just to be there with him.

Again, my thanks for your question. And believe me, I am still learning, learning, learning.
Care and blessings
Anonymous

I'm going to post this question in the "Spouses" forum as well. N eed to get additional replies to this burning question.

× Close Menu