Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
The Memory Book Really Works!!
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 12:54 PM

Originally posted by: Ahnree

Hello my New Online Family,
It has been a few days since I last posted or got a chance to post because I had "the big family" discussion with everyone in our entire family at my Dad's house regarding how we should speak to My Mom and how we should react to her. My oldest brother and sister came without hesitation. Our counselor thought it would not be a good idea to talk about anything related to AD around My Mom since she is in stage 2 and thought it would be overwehelming. Other people thought differently I was a little confused so I went with "the memory book" and it worked like a charm! Smiler

There were 21 of us 5 other siblings and my Dad and myself. I posed to the family that one of us spend at least 3 hr a day with my Mom (stage 2) every day of the week and this would help her to remember all of us. She never forgets me, in the very beginning of the evening she seemed a little uneasy and didn't really know where she was but remembered my father and I. As all the relatives starting pouring in little by little she remember all 21 of us, including great great grandchildren, not all by name but most definitely by face once we said who they were.

I kept checking on her thorughout the night and she kept saying she was "wonderful" and it was so good to have all her family around her. We took over 200 pictures. Each of my sibling has a different album and then we all have pictures of Mom together with all members of the family. We each devoted our 1 day a week and will take our "memory book" with us when we visit to help her place us. We also made a memory book for her to look at while she is at home but, sometimes she can't remember where she may have put pictures so we got it covered!

Last night on her way home she said "it's so wonderful to have all my family over Henri I love you so much, thank you for doing this" This was the first time since I have been back home in 4 months that My Mom has known everyone and seemed like her old self, to date it's the HAPPIEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Dear Wendy H,

Hello and welcome to the AD/related dementia's Message Boards. I am sorry about your Mom but i am glad you've found us.

This is a great place to gather information, receive some good advice and vent your feelings and frustrations.

This is, also the place that you can try ideas, celebrate victories, and get some really great memories.

Please, write again and let us know more about your situation and your Mom.

Welcome to OUR Family. You are not alone. We are here.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Wendy,
Welcome to our world. Do tell us what happens when you try your Memory Book.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Deirdre44

Nice! Esp since you have had some real problems, right...
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Wendy H

Wow, that was really beautiful. It's my first day online, with a mom in the long, confusing stage one and yours was the first post that wasn't depressing. Thank you so much. I plan on using this idea quite soon.

× Close Menu