Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Isolated and alone
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:39 AM

Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Are there people out there like me? I'm 53 with EOAD. I have good days and bad days. Mostly, I feel isolated and alone. I take care of my Mom who also has ALZ. Most people just don't understand how I feel. I feel so different from everyone!! I'm not me anymore; at least not the old me. I don't particularly like the New Me! I'm so much slower in my thinking and even in moving! I get so confused sometimes! I forget most things! Seems like I'm aggravated with everything and everyone these days!!
Hello, anyone else out there like me???
Anonymous

Does anyone else out there feel like me?? Please write and tell me!!
Anonymous

Hi Donna,
Well, lately I haven't done too much. My Mom has alz also, and hasn't been doing well. Bad episodes, er visits, md visits, tests, mri tomorrow. I had planned to start volunteering at a local animal shelter but Mom just isn't doing well. Bought myself a new nintendo ds game "My word coach" wow, it's kind of tuff! Have other nintendo games, books on tape, walk my dog, do some cooking, laundry, and research on line. I am in the process of getting my doctor's to refer me to Emory University and The Mayo clinic in Minnesota. They are both on my insurance plan. Have my own doctor's follow up appt. tomorrow. When things calm down, I'd like to join a gym again. I'm just not sure if I can afford it! My long term disability starts in February. I've been living on savings for 3 months now and am just about broke!!
Thanks for writing and keep in touch!
Take care of yourself!!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

I never felt isolated or alone & you don't have to either.Get on your computers find other AD sites & go post messages or go chat with others like us.They are there.I play games at Pogo.com.I entertain myself as best I can & it does pay off.......
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SueSol

Lisa,

I am so sorry for your diagnosis and your moms.
My grandfather had it so I kinda know the stages. I feel my mom has it and we mentioned it to her and she got really upset with us. There are 4 of us and 2 of us agree and my other sister (who rarely spends time with her) says there is nothing wrong with her. My brother agrees with whoever he is talking to at the time. So we are divided and we are getting no where, it is not even worth mentioning anymore. Her driving is terrible, she stopped dead in the middle of a busy road cause she thought a guy was gonna pull out in front of her, he threw up his hands at her and she got so confused she didn't know what to do or where to drive. I had to tell her she cannot do that she is lucky she didn't just kill us.

I guess my question is: how do you feel when you are confronted with things like that? I have learned that it is better not to confront her if she says it is snowing in the middle of July then be it. Frowner Any help on seeing it from her eyes or your eyes would be appreciated
Anonymous

NOLA war eagle,
Yes, I can still do certain things well on certain days. I just never know what kind of day I'm going to have until I wake up, take my meds, and see how I'm feeling. I do love animals and plan to start volunteering at a no kill shelter called ARNO. I haven't been able to go yet because my Mom who also has ALZ has been sick lately. Doctor's visits, ER visits, tests etc!!
Thanks for responding!!
I still wonder if there are other people out there like me??
Anonymous
Originally posted by: NOLA War Eagle

Lisa-I can only imagine what you are going through, and even then I cannot accurately understand. I am glad that you are on these message board to express what is going on. I can assure you that you are not alone in your situation.

What are some things/activities/hobbies that you can do well? What are things that bring you joy?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Donna in Maine

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry you're feeling isolated and alone. I hope being part of this community is helpful to you. I know it is to me - I need to connect with those who have dementia, especially since I don't yet know others in my state of Maine. I'm not feeling isolated, like you. My days are busy with friends, reading, AD research, e-mails, organizing, taking care of legal/financial affairs, appointments, drumming, dancing, working out at the gym, trying to find everything I misplace. I cry once in a while, but laugh much more often. My life is different; I'm different. I've accepted that and live each day the best that I can....and take more catnaps. What are you doing that's positive for yourself? Donna in Maine
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lee-Lee

Yes. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I am the same way. I tell my daughter her current friends don't know the "real" me.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: AD Daughter

There is a book called "The Forgetting: A Portrait of Alzheimer's Disease." It includes writings by people with dementia. It taught me a lot. There are so many people.... Ronald Reagan 'forgot' that he was President of the United States. Our government needs to do more. Too many people, and families, are suffering. But all too many people truly do understand.

× Close Menu