Donate
RSS Feed Print
Let's talk about music?
Internal Administrator
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:25 PM

Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Hi to all,
My name is Lisa. I'm 54 dx @ 53 with EOAD.
I'd like to find out about what kinds of music do you all like? Songs, Bands, Know any lines?
I'm kind of a Beatles freak! Did any of you attend music concerts? I saw the Beatles (very young), Jimi Hendrix (wow, what a guitar player) Janis Joplin (loved her raspy blues voice), Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, ( loved that harmony) The Allman Bros.,(loved the blues) Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens.... oh, I could go on and on.

What did you all like?

Please, share it with me.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Iris L.

This is a great idea Lisa. I attended a Living with a Disability workshop last summer that talked about the positive effects of music therapy. So I have been making more of an effort to listen to the radio and my own music collection. I like soul music, gospel, contemporary Christian music, pop, country, rock, Caribbean, African, Middle Eastern. On the radio I listen only to oldies stations. I'm listening to Ray Charles now.

Iris L.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Alan in Colorado

Lisa!!! I love music, thank you!!!

Did I ever tell you, my career testing says I'm most like a professional musician? Psychotherapist was second.

I at least appreciate pretty much everything that's music. Back when I was trying to be a performer, I had to be ready to give it a go at any style group that needed a guitarist. My favorite story is when a country band needed a bass player, I made an audition appointment without even owning a bass, I figured I could learn fast, it only had 4 strings. I won the opening, and played several months with an unadmitted Elvis impersonator . . . that was my opinion anyway.

Now, I keep telling myself to pick up my violin again, get better at it before I can't anymore. Still have 3 guitars, including a Stratocaster & a decent amplifier.

Anything with Carlos Santana, Hendrix, Clapton, and all the classical guitarists; Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Black Sabbath, Steppenwolf, CCR; Mozart, Vivaldi, and the beat goes on.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Johanna C.

Love classical, the very early rhythm and blues, the '50's, 70's, and big band including WWII music, and oh yes; even the very early MoTown sound.

The 50's and 70's hold particular magic for me. So many groups both here and British. Stayed in a house in Stinson Beach over Mount Tamalpais outside of San Francisco; the Jefferson Airplane group was staying in a house several doors down. Never did see or hear them, but there they were anyway.

Pink Floyd fascinated me.

I pretty much have a very broad palate for music. But . . . . has anyone else besides me noticed how many of today's performers are singing through their noses? And, it pretty much sounds alike.

Can't get it like we used to.

Oh lordie, now that sounds like an "oldie."
Anonymous

Hi to All,
I can't believe that we are the ONLY music lovers in this entire forum.
Come on, please join in and add your favorites and comments!!

Sometimes, we need FUN/HAPPY things to talk about!!
Anonymous

Alan,
Are you playing any music these days? I don't have any musical talents whatsoever but I can really appreciate others who have.
Let me know what's up.
Anonymous

Lisa, some. I keep my Stratocaster on a stand by my computer desk, for when the urge hits. I want to play more than I do, it's just one of the many things I typically just can't get around to doing.

What I'm really excited about, recently I bought an assembled but unvarnished & etc. violin, one from a decent Chinese source. I've been afraid of starting! An error can be corrected, but I'm so afraid of starting and making a mess. The good news is, I'm unlikely to hurt the sound, because I bought the good Italian violin varnish.

Violin and piano are two instruments I don't play well, so I'm trying to get better before I get to the point where I can't get better. I've tuned our piano, which is really easy if you have one of those little electronic note-finder things, and the right tools.

In my youth, I've been in groups that have even done little tours. That isn't a life to envy! Pretty soon you just get tired all the time, except for the adrenaline rush of performing, and sometimes you have to even fake that a little here and there. My performing, before a certain disease got going, of the past several years though has been acting on stage in some community theatre stuff.

Y'know Lisa, a good teacher can adjust his/her pace and style to any learner. Almost any instrument can be affordable, if you have reasonable standards, e.g. buy something greatly reduced in price b/c of a cosmetic flaw. Any particular instrument you'd like to learn?
Anonymous

Hey Alan,
Don't I need to know how to read music first b4 I'd buy an instrument? Or am I just stupid about all this?
Anonymous

Lisa, I was thinking you could choose your instrument, and go to a teacher that takes beginners.

I started violin as an adult. The only weird part was arriving at the studio for lessons, when I'd be the only adult not there with a child.

Good teachers take you as you are, and work with you to where you want to be. Like, suppose you wanted to play the violin, and all you wanted to play were the themes from your favorite soap operas? That student would have a different path than the one who wanted to get into Mozart.

No pressure! I just believe that music is a good thing for us, including being able to make our own.
Anonymous

Thanks, Alan. I really need to think about this.

It's a great idea!
Anonymous

Anyone else out there that loves music?

Please, join in!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Ttom

When I was home on leave from the Army and before leaving for Germany, I watched a lot of pro groups, I think! I had been to a one year school in El Paso, TX and my friend and I went to his fishing camp in Rosco, NY. While there we heard about a party down the road in a field. There was supposed to be a lot of pro groups there! We took off in Norm's Jeep but had to park it out in the middle of nowhere because of the crowd. Walked from there right into Woodstock! I actually did get to the plane on time. Must have, I spent the next two years in Germany!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: S. H.

TTom
That is so cool.

Sharon
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:26 PM

Tom,
What are pro groups? I did attend a "Pop Festival" here in La. back in the 70's. Saw lots of the old greats. Is that what you're talking about?
Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Ttom

Janice Jopline and CCR were standouts! We got there on Fiday night and left Saturday.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Wyn M

Imostly love classical music, although I have been a church organist. My fav non-classical album is the Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn, which even now brings tears to my eyes.

My good friend's son, David Goldflies, was bass player with the Alman Bros. until he got fed up with Greg's drug addiction. She (my friend) used to attend concerts with cotton in her ears.

I'm a big Beatles fan.

Wyn
Anonymous

Tom,
Saw Janis Joplin too, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, gosh, too numerous to mention.

Wyn,
I'm a Beatles freak too. LOVED the Allman Bros., Moody Blues (Ahhh), saw them all loved them All.

I just love music!
Anonymous

Hi to All,
Happy St. Patrick's Day! I love Irish music!!

Anyone else want to talk about music?
Anonymous

The Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach," possibly the best rock album of all time. Inspired countless youngsters to pick a guitar and try to reproduce what they heard.

The Beatles did pretty good for a few years, especially on "Sgt. Pepper." Moody Blues o.k., but I didn't find anything of theirs that I wanted to play myself.

Credence Clearwater Revival was the perfect band for a beginner to intermediate to copy. Once you got their basics down, their music was great, but simple for the most part. When I performed in the 1970s in this or that band, we always loved to play CCR. Also hot around then was Steppenwolf, we covered a few of their songs. Rod Stewart & "Maggie Mae," a great song for boys in their teens.

Oh, and speaking of simple, also around my high school days was Grand Funk Railroad, I could play almost everything of theirs, in lead, rhythm or bass. It wasn't very good musically, but the beat was contagious.

C'mon folks, don't make me kick the can by myself!!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Sven64

Music has played such an important part of my life,the idea of losing it sends a chill through me. My Mother was a Ballet instructor at Butler U in Indianapolis for thirty eight years,so Music was always in the house mostly classical. I remember when she bought me Elvis's first album. That was quite a consecision. Then came the first transistor radio,wow all the different music!!! I always wanted to learn but just could'nt stick with it.I love to sing at church, My voice is starting to waver now.As far as what I listen to. i am looking at James Taylor, Enya,Wes Montgomery Jim Croce,Miles Davis,Gipsy Kings, patsy Cline Etta James Bob Dylan,Beatles,Pete Seeger,Ventures,Simon and Garfunkle,Masters of Flamenco,paverotti,Marley's Ghost.Blugrass,Cabaret,Chuck Berry. Thats 1 stack, I am trying to learn Guitar.But the will to open the case and do it for some reason seems to not be there. That problem exists in a lot of areas of my life.I have a wonderful shop in my barn full of Models and Trains that have been waiting for my retirement.The Will is lacking.I thought I noted that someone else was also having this problem.Has anyone found a method around this?.
Sven
Anonymous

Dear Sven,
Seems like the will comes in the form of antidepressant meds ( at least for me). I found the depression/anxiety thing very difficult to overcome. I have been taking lexapro for a while with some relief. I still find myself somewhat irritable so I am looking into seroquel now. I have heard some good things about it.
Anonymous

To all Neko Case if you get a chance listen. check Google...
I love songs you can understand and tell a story
Sven
Anonymous

Does anybody here ever go to the Chat rooms/
Sven
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mark in Idaho

Transistor radio? Are you from the dark ages?

I think current portable radios have mega transistors in them. Not like my Sony twelve transistor radio I got in 1969.

Today's youth have missed out on real music. The 60's and 70's were just about the end of decent vocals. I miss them. I do get to hear them on the late night infomercials from TimeLife Music. I love the feelings of nostalgia listening to those. I think my favorite is the infomercial done by the two guys from Air Supply. There are also some great MoTown oldies. My favorite female voice is Marilyn McCoo of Fifth Dimension/Billy Davis Jr. I like to be able to understand the lyrics.

I never got to liking the hard rock sounds. Loved Three Dog Night, Moody Blues, Chicago, Santana, Blood Sweat and Tears, Neil Diamond, Fifth Dimension, Crosby, Stills, and Nash and a bunch of one hit wonders that I can't remember. We had lots of them back then.

Now, I listen to Diana Krall, Sarah Brightman, a pianist named Lorie Line, some other pianists, sometimes oldies listed above, and other softer sounds. I have a hard time tolerating music that is not melodic or that has to much background beat. Diana Krall's "The Look of Love" is my brain reseting music. When I have been overloaded with auditory stimuli, I lay down in the dark and listen to her. Her voice and tempo set my brain back into proper timing.

I do not play any instruments. I have a neck and upper back nerve ( TOS, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome) that gets inflamed and causes extreme excess gas. Then I can play the butt tuba like a pro. So, I hope you get a sense of my musical ability.

When I play the piano, I start by turning the piano on and inserting a floppy disk. I have a Yamaha Disklavier acoustic piano with electronic player system.
Anonymous

Yes and proud of it!!
I am sorry about your situation, "I complained about my shoes being to tight ,until I met a man with no feet"
Sven
Anonymous

Going to support group keeps me humble to the adage about the man with no feet.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Anonymous

OK, I just thought of somebody I don't think has been mentioned: Harry Chapin. He was a great story teller. Life cut short in a automobile accident.

"Butt Tuba"? Good grief man, let's learn to control the pitch, and make a record that little boys of all ages will buy!!!
Anonymous

Hey,
Anybody like the blues? Like Billie Holiday, Muddy Waters, BB King, Bobby Blue Bland? And blue-eyed soul of Hall and Oates?
And, what about all the wonderful Motown Sounds? They are too numerous to mention!
And, did anyone mention Bread? I used to love listening to some of their stuff. Billy Joel was great live!
My mind is dancing!! lol!

I DO LOVE MUSIC!!!
Anonymous

Lisa,

My neuro prescribed Seroquel years ago. I have a full unused bottle of it and samples. After reading more about it, it scared me.

I also was prescribed Gabatril. Tried it, didn't like it. Have a bunch in the cabinet.

Have you tried Xanax? My dad took it and it settled him down. It had some side effects but I think my mom thought they were worth it. Otherwise he had nightmares and delusions.
Anonymous

Sven,
I can't go in chat rooms anymore because I can't keep up. Sorry.
Anonymous

Mark in Idaho,
I'm confused?? this is the music site. Are you answering I question I asked in another forum? I did ask about seroquel in another forum. Is that what you're answering?

If so, thanks for the info. Xanax is an anti-anxiety drug I have tried in the past. I found it too short acting and VERY addictive.
Thanks for sharing.

What about music?
Anonymous

Lisa,
What about Etta James,Robert Johnson,BB King John Lee Hooker,Michael Bubl'e
Sven
Anonymous

Lisa,

I was about to own up to messing up, but then I double checked. On March 26, at 4:51 pm you posted under Let's talk about music:

Dear Sven,
Seems like the will comes in the form of antidepressant meds ( at least for me). I found the depression/anxiety thing very difficult to overcome. I have been taking lexapro for a while with some relief. I still find myself somewhat irritable so I am looking into seroquel now. I have heard some good things about it.

Peace and Hope,
Lisa

I was already second guessing myself, which is not uncommon. But I guess you posted to the wrong thread.

Not a problem for me. One of the symptoms of dementia is digressing. In fact, my digressing at the Social Security hearing was part of the decision in my favor. But I digress.

As I have said before,
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

btw, I am on a strong dose of Paxil for my ocd symptoms and Neurontin for my muscle tension, etc. My depression and anxiety issues are almost non-existent. My condition has, at least at this stage, reduced my irritability. I used to scare my kids I could be so irritable.
Anonymous

Blues? Eric Clapton in his Yardbirds job, "Tribute to Elmore," an incredible piece of creative blues on the guitar.

"Bread" wasn't the kind of band that a hardcore guy like me could admit to liking. But . . . in secret . . . I loved to play and sing "Baby I'm a-Want You." And "Diary." Heck, I recorded a duet with a flutist on "Diary" that almost went somewhere.

For fellow guitarists, I found that acoustic guitar/flute duets were the most beautiful things I ever did. Oh, I loved the hard rock stuff, but for beautiful music, wow, guitar and flute.
Anonymous

Does anyone like segovia,Sabicas, and Flamenco guitari have a CD by a group called Gipsy Kings that is quite good.
sven

× Close Menu