Home Safety Checklist

Announcement: ALZConnected will be transitioning to a new platform beginning April 3, 2023!   Click here to learn more.

RSS Feed Print
Medical Hardship with Creditors
Internal Administrator
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Joined: 1/14/2015
Posts: 40463

Originally posted by: Nikki, Ken's Angel

I wanted to see if anyone else has tried to contact their creditors and apply for a medical hardship? I have left my job to take care of my husband who is 32, however we are not able to pay all our bills and I dont know what to do. I contacted a debt management company and this is what they recommended. Has anyone else tried this?
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: Cathy J. M.

Does Michigan have any Medicaid-funded in-home care? That might let you work at least part time while someone else care for your husband -- gives you a break, too (at least, a change!)

An income-scaled day center might be another option that would let you bring in some more income.

Is your husband getting disability payments? There's a fast-track application program for people with Alzheimer's or related problems. Age 32 seems horrifically young for this -- its that the main medical issue?

None of this helps your problem with the credit card companies in a direct way. If I were you, I'd consult a non-profit consumer counseling agency and not a debt management company. I've read that the advice the for-profit companies give is often not as good.

Best wishes -- I know financial problems make caregiving extra difficult.
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: S. Grant

My husband of 59 was just diagnosed with Alzheimers and has not worked for 5 years. Worked but never for long term. They let him go on several jobs. He was the bread winner of the family. I guess I was in the denial state until the bills started piling up and our home was being taken away. We did get him diagnosed in August of 2011 and he is receiving disability but not going far enough. I was working but I don't trust him to be home alone. Isn't there some kind of care giver financial support out there for spouses, etc who have to stay at home??? This is devastating and just don't know where to go.
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: Johanna C.

Dear Nikki: We live in California and I can relate the experience of my sister-in-law (SIL) who found herself in a similar set of circumstances.

She did have a letter from the doctor's stating the medical issue, my BIL had cancer.

She contacted each and every credit card company and ONLY spoke to the supervisors or managers - some have special units for this.

In three cases, the bill was wiped out without harm to her credit. The last credit card wiped out most of the debt and made allowances for her situation in paying.

She called her mortgage company and to my utter amazement, they remade her home mortgage. They wiped out most of the balance of the mortgage and remade the loan at a very low amount.

They then gave her tiny payments for the first two years, a little more on the third year and after that, the payments were still quite, quite low for the remainder of the loan.

She couldn't have made it without that. They did however, require her to keep anonymous the name of the companies that assisted her.

I will say, that this was done at the height of the economic downturn when there was monumental publicity about the rotten behavior of financial and credit institutions, so that may have helped.

It never hurts to try - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just be sure to speak ONLY to the management staff as they are the decision makers.

You may have to provide a doctor's letter re the diagnosis, but that should be easy to get.

I wish you the very best and hope you can get accommodation for this,

Johanna C.
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: Nipper

I have found that most creditors are agreeable to some degree as long as you contact them and try to work something out. Most times they want a financial report completed and a letter from the doctor will go a long way.
Worth the try, and good luck.
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: RevSasha

Please call Consumer Credit Counseling Services. You can find an 800 number online. I worked for major bank in their credit card division. CCCS is a legit organization and the only one the banks will work with. No up front fees and they will set up a repayment plan for you. It is a waste of time to call the banks and ask to speak to a supervisor, you will only be transferred to another telephone advisor who will tell you to contact CCCS. Good luck to you.
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: JAB

S Grant, hi, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, there is less financial help available for younger dementia patients (who often need it more). As Mimi recommended, do contact your local Alz Assoc chapter and the Minnesota Board on Aging:
and see what they can offer.

Also, try using the tips and tools for locating financial assistance at:

If your husband ever served in the armed forces, check into VA assistance programs, especially Aid & Attendance:
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi S. Grant,
Welcome to our world. We're so glad you found us, but so sorry for all the problems you are having.
Please call the following two agencies during normal business hours.
1. Your local Alz. Chapter. Please hit, chapters, below and put in your zip code.
2. your local Area Agency on the Aging.

Do call both and explain your situation. Help available varies by region, but I do hope they can help.
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: S. Grant

Thanks for all your advice. I will be checking out the info sent... I was also told to go to the county health nurse and see if they could help with caregiving. I have lost one job all ready because I had to take him to appointments and they wouldn't let me have the time off.
× Close Menu