Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Question about the use of Alzhiemer's drugs
Internal Administrator
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:41 PM

Originally posted by: Becky Jane

My husband is suffering from what we believe to be vascular dementia due to the fact that he had a four-way bypass in 2001, pacemaker in 2007 and a massive stoke in 2008. He is progressing into the late moderate stage of dementia with increased loss of short-term memory loss, etc. The GP suggested we try Enbrel and one other Alzheimer drug which she said needed to be given with the Enbrel (can't remember the name of it). Has anyone out there used these drugs for vascular dementia? I am not sure what to do! Thanks!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jfkoc

I think it is trial and error for all of us with medical treatment.

My husband is no longer taking Aricept and Namenda. I actually think he is doing better without them but he has only been diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment.

He is in line for EECP...approved by all of his Drs after it was suggested by one. Anecdotedly (sp) it has helped with Vascular Dementia and Parkinson's in other parts of the world.

I am just throwing this on the table...hold your fire!!!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Carolina Songbird

Becky Jane, are you sure he said Enbrel? More likely meds would be Aricept, Namenda or Exelon.

Mom had vascular dementia, and she took Aricept. We did see some benefit for a while -- none of these drugs works forever.

On the other hand, Dad also has vascular dementia. Aricept did nothing for him. It varies from person to person.

And I don't think I have had the chance to say this before -- welcome to the message boards!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: lurk

I have vascular dementia and take Aricept. As far as I can tell, I don't have any symptoms; I just have lesions in my brain as shown on an MRI. I take care of everything in our household, as well as, taking care of a husband with Alzheimers. Maybe the Aricept is working, or maybe the mini-strokes that caused the lesions were a one-time thing. Who know?

I am beginning to wonder if the Aricept is the reason that I don't sleep at night; however, my husband who is on Aricept and Namenda sleeps for ten hours. Is that the Namenda? Is it the progression of the disease? Who knows?

I don't know what Embrel is, and people on the board have complained about Aricept, but for us, I think it has been a good thing. I really expected my husband to be farther along in his decline this year. He's been on the meds for a year. I hope you find your answer, but I think doing something USUALLY is better than doing nothing (not counting side-effects).
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jim Broede

I'd try non-drug therapies. Validation therapy. Good vibes therapy. Keep everything positive. Upbeat. Create a low-stress or non-stress environment. --Jim
Anonymous

Also, Carolina, did you see a personality change in either of your parents? I am so hopeful that Bob's personality doesn't change and he becomes angry or hateful with me or others. I just wondered if this was something that happens more with alzheimers vs. VD.
quote:
Originally posted by Becky Jane:
Opps, she probably said Exelon patch. I would, of course, get all this straight if I decide to go this route. So, given the experience with your Mom would you use the Aricept if you had it to do over again? Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Songbird:
Becky Jane, are you sure he said Enbrel? More likely meds would be Aricept, Namenda or Exelon.

Mom had vascular dementia, and she took Aricept. We did see some benefit for a while -- none of these drugs works forever.

On the other hand, Dad also has vascular dementia. Aricept did nothing for him. It varies from person to person.

And I don't think I have had the chance to say this before -- welcome to the message boards!

Anonymous

Opps, she probably said Exelon patch. I would, of course, get all this straight if I decide to go this route. So, given the experience with your Mom would you use the Aricept if you had it to do over again? Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Songbird:

Anonymous
Originally posted by: C.Traill

Lurk,
I didn't know you were dealing with vascular dementia and husband with Alzheimer's. My hats off to you.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:42 PM
Originally posted by: lurk

We started dear husband on Aricept and added Namenda later, actually not until his mini test had declined from the first time.

JAB, thanks, I had just read up on the info again and decided to take it in the mornings.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: JAB

Becky Jane,

Studies have indicated that "pure" vascular dementia usually isn't helped by these meds. However, many patients with VaD also have AD, and these patients with "mixed dementia" can benefit from them.

I would give them a try, starting with just one. (If you start both at once and your husband's symptoms change, you won't know which is the cause.) And if it were me, I'd start with Namenda. It's less likely to cause adverse side effects.

lurk, do you take the Aricept at night? It can cause sleep disruption in some people, and that can sometimes be relieved by taking it in the morning instead.
Anonymous

Thanks for the informatio, JAB. The GP talked as if she would not prescribe one med without the other. Wonder why?
quote:
Originally posted by JAB:
Becky Jane,

Studies have indicated that "pure" vascular dementia usually isn't helped by these meds. However, many patients with VaD also have AD, and these patients with "mixed dementia" can benefit from them.

I would give them a try, starting with just one. (If you start both at once and your husband's symptoms change, you won't know which is the cause.) And if it were me, I'd start with Namenda. It's less likely to cause adverse side effects.

lurk, do you take the Aricept at night? It can cause sleep disruption in some people, and that can sometimes be relieved by taking it in the morning instead.

Anonymous
Originally posted by: JAB

Patients tend to do better on both than on either one separately. But it is standard practice to prescribe one, wait for the patient to stabilize on it, and then start the other.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Carolina Songbird

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Jane:
Also, Carolina, did you see a personality change in either of your parents?

Both became more mellow with time. Mom was always somewhat passive, but Dad had a rough temper and was very stubborn. I am constantly steeling myself for his reactions but he has taken everything better than I would have thought. In the last two weeks we have taken away the car and it has been MUCH smoother than I would have thought.

× Close Menu