Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Inappropriately taking clothes off at night
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:46 PM
Originally posted by: ryanm

Hello:

If you are interested in a new, natural solution that is helping Alzheimers' patients receive remarkable results, contact me.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: richardson1

My Mother wears depends at night. During the night, after an "accident", she tended to remove ALL of her clothing, much to the embarassment of my poor husband. After numerous trials and error, I found an adult-sized flannel bunny-suit at Sears (made by a company called Yikes). I put it on my Mother backwards and zip it up the back. We're going on 2 years and she hasn't figured out how to wriggle out of it yet. It has an added benefit of keeping her warm at night and it's easy to wash.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Sally Gabby

Hi there I am new with this and my mom has Alzheimers and it seems like she is not my mom anymore, very stressful she is on 2 meds and I think she has gotten worse then anything. Any helpful info would be great. Thanks Gabby ^_^
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lin-

Hi...I was just checking in on your chat and it's always so surprising how MUCH we all sound exactly alike!! (our problems!) My mom has had alzheimers for 10 years, and i LOVE the book, "the 36 hr. day"...it is SO informative!!
We have recently been going through the not wanting to eat thing, and two things i noticed that were helpful, were : 1. getting her out of the dining room. she never liked to be in the middle of a crowd of people anyway, but since she eats out in the hallway she's much calmer.
(she's in an alzheimers facility,also,of course)...2. I take the tray away and just give her one or two items at a time. I think the appearance of a full plate of food, with drinks and dessert, just looks overwhelming! If she's given just small amounts , one or two things, she does way better. Another thing, about the removing her clothes thing...She has been on and off with that stage, but if i (or the caregivers in the home) distract her, say by giving her washclothes to fold, it keeps her very occupied.
I really understand the part about feeling like you've already lost your 'mom' and now you're the caretaker...that one hurts...every day. I had to have surgery last year, and my sister had surgery the year before, and we both found it really hard that we couldn't even share our thoughts and fears with out own mother any more. I'm really glad we have each other...I have three sisters here, who are great to have, to laugh or cry on each others shoulders. Family who doesn't deal with it every day, just doesn't understand.
This is really nice, too....cause we know we're not alone...we all have each other!!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: doxie

quote:
Originally posted by KarenB:
Unfortunately, that is the way the disease is. My mom was diagnosed 4 years ago & it has been an up and down roller coaster ever since. We finally moved her into a alzheimers facility last March which has been another nightmare. Out of 5 children my sister and I have sole responsibility for her care. Some months ago I came to the realization that she wasn't my mom anymore. I really miss talking with her & sharing things with her. The roles have changed. She still knows who we are and our aim is to make her comfortable each day. One of us is there everyday after work just to make sure that she is OK. We get her ready for bed every night. Last April I didn't think that she would make it through the summer, but we took her off most medications except exelon and meds for GERD. We just recently added Lexapro again because she was always crying. She is real alert now & very active. Right now our only problem is with her eating. We have a real hard time getting her to eat. She will eat a few bites & say she is full.

I think that our view of alz. patients changed after we moved her into a facility. We fell in love with the other residents & they all were so sweet. After 9 months in one facility we moved her to another and it was very hard to say our goodbyes.

Have you read the book "36 Hour Day"? It is very helpful for us.

I hope you have other family members for support. I have met several people who go it alone with their parent & I can't imagine that burden. I feel so fortunate that my sister & I have each other to give our mother the love and respect that she deserves at this point in her life.

Good Luck
epopson@comcast.net
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jezza

Keep in mind that nudity is inappropriate only by social convention. We can not expect our loved ones to retain knowledge of all social conventions in this disease, and we certainly can not hold them accountable to them. If people are nude at home, especially in bed, I don't think it should necessarily be labeled as inappropriate. It's our problem, not theirs, because we unfortunately can't hold them to our normal standards. If we get over our problem there's suddenly no problem!

Nudity outside the home is obviously a different matter because it involves other people, laws, etc.

Just my opinion.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: keleeleee

WoW! that is a great Idea! thanks, I am taking notes. I have some clients in my home that do that Smiler
Anonymous
Originally posted by: KarenB

Unfortunately, that is the way the disease is. My mom was diagnosed 4 years ago & it has been an up and down roller coaster ever since. We finally moved her into a alzheimers facility last March which has been another nightmare. Out of 5 children my sister and I have sole responsibility for her care. Some months ago I came to the realization that she wasn't my mom anymore. I really miss talking with her & sharing things with her. The roles have changed. She still knows who we are and our aim is to make her comfortable each day. One of us is there everyday after work just to make sure that she is OK. We get her ready for bed every night. Last April I didn't think that she would make it through the summer, but we took her off most medications except exelon and meds for GERD. We just recently added Lexapro again because she was always crying. She is real alert now & very active. Right now our only problem is with her eating. We have a real hard time getting her to eat. She will eat a few bites & say she is full.

I think that our view of alz. patients changed after we moved her into a facility. We fell in love with the other residents & they all were so sweet. After 9 months in one facility we moved her to another and it was very hard to say our goodbyes.

Have you read the book "36 Hour Day"? It is very helpful for us.

I hope you have other family members for support. I have met several people who go it alone with their parent & I can't imagine that burden. I feel so fortunate that my sister & I have each other to give our mother the love and respect that she deserves at this point in her life.

Good Luck
Anonymous
Originally posted by: doxie

Karen, I offer you friendship in caregiving in the disease process. Your mothers behavior is very common in this mid to later stage of this disesase process. I would ask a few simple ?. , is she too hot at nite?, does she has any pain? Does she have a urinary infection?You can try a all in one jump suit? Or if you are interested you can try Fur therapy!!!!If you are interested you can email me for further info!!!!! I hope some of my input helps!!!!!yours, Ellen
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ella

I explain in my story "My Mother My Child" about a site I went onto called http://www.buckandbuck.com which has jumpsuits for day and night that zip up the back. These items have worked for me with my mom and look great also.

ella

× Close Menu