Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Recording the Memories
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:55 PM

Originally posted by: eileenv

Hi There,
I don't know if you can really call this a success story, but here goes. I started to tape record some of my dad's life stories and general musings. Just by living to 75, he has experienced a lot of interesting things. I though this might be a good thing for the grandkids to have/listen to when he gets too far gone to talk to. The difficult part has been keeping him "on topic". I started out with stories that I knew by heart and I noticed how I had to prod him along or remind him of details. Bringing out old photos helped a lot because we could talk about what was going on in that particular shot.
I guess the important thing is, he got to talk about happy memories. And even if they are sad ones, it seems to make him happy to be able to remember something.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Tazz

I have recently started the same book idea for my Mom. It is a self publishing site on the
web that produces beautiful hardcover glossy pages in a library bound book. If you are interested, look at this website:

www.legaciesremembered.com

and see if it will fill your needs...the book I am working on is about Mom from pictures of her as a child with her family to pictures of her kids and great grandkids that she can have at her table. She keeps asking who someone is and I think this will be an ideal way for her to "keep" her memories nearby and frequent.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: vickidale

I recently read about a woman who wrote a book about her mother for her mother to read. It was about family memories and things that her mother loved. The mother could still read and seemed to enjoy it. My mother has had Alzheimer's for about 7 years and although she doesn't know any of us, she can still read a little (not sure if she understands it though). But I plan to write to write a journal or book about the things she's always loved and I hope it may somehow trigger some pleasant memories for her. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this idea better? Thanks so much.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: geraldine

For my mother's 85th birthday, I made a book with photos for the various times in her life. It was a real hit and now we use it all the time since she has Alzheimers. (I made large pages with groupings of photos which I color-zeroxed...they look great) Even if the photos are black and white, a color zerox copy will look just like the picture with all the greys. Then, I put a spiral binding on it, a cover and it is now a used on a daily basis for her to look at, and remember her friends and her family.

Photos with captions would probably be wonderful...and fun to make too!

gerry

quote:
Originally posted by vickidale:
I recently read about a woman who wrote a book about her mother for her mother to read. It was about family memories and things that her mother loved. The mother could still read and seemed to enjoy it. My mother has had Alzheimer's for about 7 years and although she doesn't know any of us, she can still read a little (not sure if she understands it though). But I plan to write to write a journal or book about the things she's always loved and I hope it may somehow trigger some pleasant memories for her. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this idea better? Thanks so much.

Anonymous
Originally posted by: sis

Hi My mom is in the last stages and has been for about 5 years. I wished that I could have done that. I miss her so very much. She has had this disease for 8 years and she was 57 years old. I am still trying to come to grips with this horrible disease.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: eileenv

Just an update on recording my dad's memories.
I can't believe that its been only 2 months since I first posted this suggestion.

I've given up doing the recordings. I noticed that the stories were changing everytime he told them. Even stories that I knew by heart - the places, the names were different. When I gently remind him about the facts as I remembered them, he looked so perplexed, so sad.
I still let him tell the stories as he now remembers them - it's good for him to talk and have someone listen to him. Recording wise, I just found it to be too difficult to keep him on track and keep the "interview" going.
I guess this is from my years of producing instructional videos.

Eileen
Anonymous
Originally posted by: r day

somrtime i don,t really want to rembember the last 3 yrs getting worse for my father in law,but he has another son living in calif,he doesn,t remember,but i write him a letter what went on everyday of that wk.he is amaze that his father is doing thing that doesn,t sound like his father. i do tellhim he isn,t the same person anymore.what a sad life.but take pictures we have so many of them now.enjoy the day.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: pollie777

My Mom has done the same thing, although, she started to do it last year on her own, but she has been writing down the memories of her family on paper, in hopes that the grandchildren will enjoy reading them!

She has gone through all of her siblings, and is now working on her own memories! I can't wait to read them, as our children can't wait to hear them.

The old photos seemed to help her as well, as we could sit there for literally hours looking at and discussing them! It was like going back in time!!

Pollie

Isaiah 40:31~ But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength...

× Close Menu