Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Books(2)
Asher87
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:42 AM

im new here. I'm 30 and my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's November 15, 2017.  I'm afraid and I have developed great anxiety and I feel lost and panicked for the future and devestated. My dad is also within a marriage that is not the best for him. It's high stress, manipulation, fighting, jealousy, all on a daily basis. I want him out of that marriage. Everything is just falling apart. So I went and bought some books to learn about the disease and how to help someone with Alzheimer's and strategies. I just want to be there for my dad I just want him to know he was always my beacon and now I will be his. He is ashamed , embarrassed, and scared of his diagnosis. 
The books I bought are Surviving Alzheimer's: practical tips and soul-saving wisdom for caregivers by Paula Spencer Scott 

The Alzheimer's antidote by Chelsea Green 

Learning to speak Alzheimer's : a ground breaking approach for everyone dealing with the disease by Koenig Coste 

Please let me know if anyone liked these books. Any books that could be suggested to me. I want to learn as much as possible  

Thanks Ashley 

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:04 AM

Here are some tried and true:

The Alzheimer's Action Plan.  Dr Doraiswamy's research The Alzheimer's Action Plan.  Dr Doraiswamy's research

No Act of Love is Ever Wasted: The Spirituality of Caring for Persons with Dementia

Richard Morgan/Jane Marie Thibault

36 Hour Day

-- Insider's Guide To Better Nursing Home Care: 75 Tips You Should Know by Donna M. Reed

\

I'm Still Here: A New Philosophy of Alzheimer's Care Paperback – December 29, 2009

by John Zeisel (Author)

I also suggest throughly reading alz.org

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:32 AM

Dear Ashley,

Welcome to our world. I'm so glad you found us.

Wow, the diagnosis is still very recent. Give it time.

I'd suggest you stop reading and breathe. Maybe take some long walks.
Do get in touch with your local chapter. Call the helpline: 1-800-272-3900 for that number and call during normal business hours.  Introduce yourself and ask about services for both you and your father.  

There is a link for those newly diagnosed. Do ask the help line for that link.

The 36 Hour Day, recommended above, is a great reference. In my opinion, is not good to just  begin and read through. 

On line, print out: Understanding the Dementia Experience.

Asher87
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 9:17 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
Canada111
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 11:05 PM

Hi Asher, I welcome you to this club that no one would want to join. I have a 26 year old daughter, and a 35 year old son, and a 2 year old granddaughter. I'm 63 and I was diagnosed with early onset Alz twice, a year ago and last February through an FDG Pet Ct scan. Im aware that it's very tough on the children of those diagnosed.  

I write a blog about living with this disease, and invite you and your dad to read and connect if you wish. 

www.suddenlymad.com

Keep It 100
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:08 PM

I would also highly recommend Greg O'Brien's book OnPluto . 

https://www.amazon.com/Pluto-Inside-Mind-Alzheimers/dp/0991340108/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511805864&sr=8-2&keywordsn+pluto

This is a book about living with Alzheimer’s, not dying with it. It is a book about hope, faith, and humor—a prescription far more powerful than the conventional medication available today to fight this disease. 

Alzheimer’s is the sixth leading cause of death in the US—and the only one of these diseases on the rise. 
More than 5 million Americans have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or a related dementia; about 35 million people worldwide. 

Greg O’Brien, an award-winning investigative reporter, has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's and is one of those faceless numbers. Acting on long-term memory and skill coupled with well-developed journalistic grit, O’Brien decided to tackle the disease and his imminent decline by writing frankly about the journey. O’Brien is a master storyteller. His story is naked, wrenching, and soul searching for a generation and their loved ones about to cross the threshold of this death in slow motion. On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer’s is a trail-blazing roadmap for a generation—both a “how to” for fighting a disease, and a “how not” to give up!

TheSteven
Posted: Monday, December 4, 2017 3:10 PM

Hi Ashley,

Does your dad have those dark dental fillings which are 50 percent mercury? If your dad does have these fillings, see http://amalgam.org/education/scientific-evidenceresearch/results-removal-amalgam-fillings/ or

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/02/Sep02/091602/80027dde.pdf

I have more links to this type of information, videos and books about this in my July 4, 2015 blog entry at http://thestevenalztreatment.blogspot.com

Beating Alzheimer's” by Tom Warren is a great book which I followed to beat my Alzheimer's into MCI was excellent.

Awakening from Alzheimer's” by Peggy Sarlin is also very good even if he doesn't have mercury dental fillings.

× Close Menu