Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
ways to handle lonliness
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:36 AM

I am confused today but going to try to post this.

Loneliness can be as hard as having company. Boredom and loneliness go hand in hand.

If you have found a way to work with loneliness please share.

I chat with familiar people at thrift stores once a week while exploring the store.

Neighbor will speak in passing when I walk my dog.

I joined a few FB groups and "chat" there.

I take my camera on walks and commune with natural world.

Go someplace to swim or do winter walking.

Volunteer at an animal shelter or charity (hospice and St Vincent de Paul have shops that need people to sort items, hang them, and easy to make friends there)

Pick up roadside garbage.

gardening, remove weeds, water plants

feed the birds

sitting at airports watching planes take off and land

art projects from very small to painting a wall

exercise classes that suit you - yoga, silver sneakers aerobic, dance class

Canada has been inventing ways to have company and enjoy her love of art.  If I were musically inclined or had a way to get to a class I would like to have taken beginner voice lessons. I do sing when I am by myself on my walks.

we have to reinvent our worlds to suit our needs. 

BillBRNC
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:45 AM

Alz+, hi back at you. I seem to do better is I am alone. I don't want to be alone, but I sure I do better when I am. Odd. Oh, I take two anti depressents. Celexa and Trazadone, but Traz is really for sleep. I don't know if I am depressed or not, not sure I care, but wife says I am better taking them, so I stay on them. I would stay on Traz anyway. Where the heck is BlueSkies aby the way. Bill.
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:52 PM

loneliness  washes over me a lot and it cares not if I am alone or with others. I have not figured out a way to avoid it but know it will pass...yet return.
Horse Lover
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:33 PM

TThank you so much for the suggestions. Frankly, I'm getting tired of cleaning house for entertainment. My biggest challenge is being able to think about these things when I'm depressed.
alz+
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 11:45 AM

jfkoc wrote:
"loneliness  washes over me a lot and it cares not if I am alone or with others. I have not figured out a way to avoid it but know it will pass...yet return."

I forgot that truth about loneliness. That is really important.

Being alone is usually more comfortable to me than being around people. 

Nothing is more lonely than being around people who give me bad vibes, who demonstrate their dislike.

My own self talk is sometimes sure to break me down, can be very hard on myself. I don't do that when I am alone.

I am finding solving boredom removes the desperate sense of being painfully lonely - it may be coming from having nothing to do more than failed expectations.

hope people are getting thru holiday in one piece with no cops called!
ha! I am about to bake something similar to a greenbean casserole, it was a flop last year. Low expectations.

× Close Menu