Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Me the lab rat discovers link estrogen - good mood
alz+
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 7:50 AM

Estrogen can help improve your mood via its effect on serotonin, a neurotransmitter that is active in the brain. Low levels of serotonin can lead to depression, anxiety and difficulty sleeping, as well as affecting how you experience pain. ... In fact,depression and anxiety are well-known symptoms of low testosterone.

The Link Between Hormones and Depression - Holtorf Medical Group

https://www.holtorfmed.com/the-link-between-hormones-and-depression/

alz+
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 8:00 AM

I wrote about this under my shingles UTI rant post, but it is worth having it's own section.

I feel more calm and more myself and I think it is from the UTI nurse practitioner's estrogen cream to help stop the UTIs and heal my vaginal walls.

So I looked it up and BINGO.  I do not have the anxiety I have had for years this morning and my vaginal tissues have already become pain free (which I did not know they were raw and painful until she did the exam and told me). If estrogen can right the ship in 4 days what effect would it have on my anxiety?

If low estrogen can make my bones brittle and shrink my height, why are they not checked for anxiety? I think because it is a "nervous female syndrome" that medical people have.

Regardless - if you are female over 55 and have anxiety maybe a hormone level check and pelvic exam could reveal is hormone therapy might be a god send.

We are anxious and we have ALZ, it must be ALZ.  This is more calm than even the cbd oil provides.

what the heck!!!!

It just seems because of the boards everything that works is worth the horrors I went through to discover something that helps.

alz+
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 8:02 AM

What are the symptoms of low estrogen?

Girls who haven’t reached puberty and women approaching menopause are most likely to experience low estrogen. Still, women of all ages can develop low estrogen.

Common symptoms of low estrogen include:

You may also find that your bones fracture or break more easily. This may be due to a decrease in bone density. Estrogen works in conjunction with calcium, vitamin D, and other minerals to keep bones strong. If your estrogen levels are low, you may experience decreased bone density.

alz+
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 8:14 AM

My hair is on fire. You mean I have been suffering from low estrogen and taking meds for the stuff low estrogen causes, instead of taking estrogen? Maybe.

For sure ALz makes everything amplified - all the more reason to have a hormone level test if you have depression, anxiety, bone loss, confusion etc.

Once you get an ALZ diagnosis no one seems to care what else may be contributing. Living in an ultra rural setting with country type hospital we have mostly young people who are still interested in patients working. The nurse practitioner knew exactly what to check while the big MDs just handed me antibiotics and told me I was not cleaning myself properly.

aw snap. The estrogen cream is very expensive but it will last me 6 months and is life changing? we'll find out by end of month as NP predicted.

Hormonal changes have been associated with heightened anxiety

There is an increase in anxiety and frequency of panic attacks during PMS, post-childbirth, perimenopause and menopause.

Women with low progesterone levels are prone to anxiety, whereas women with decreased estrogen levels are susceptible to panic attacks.

Hormone Related Anxiety Disorders - SoCal BHRT

https://socalbhrt.com/anxiety-and-panic-disorders/

Canada111
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 11:10 PM

Hi Alz+, I've been on Bi Est Pro Test cream for years. There's debate about whether hormones help or hurt in Alzheimer's, but they do keep the female organs more intact, and help with skin moisture throughout the body. Do you apply yours to the inside of your forearms?
alz+
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:56 AM

Yes there was big conflict over blood clots and breast cancer because the maybe the dose was too high?

At this point a blood clot could be my new best friend. This is a vaginal cream and I will be on one dose a week after initial 2 weeks of emergency help for the inflamed tissues.

I have not been this friendly in ages and the buzzing of anxious bees in my gut have stopped. I assume there is a correlation but ???

Looking over appointment readout, the woman was a new doctor at the clinic, not a Nurse Practitioner.  We have a very high turnover at the rural hospital but I hope she stays awhile.

Maybe your version is safer,  I will ask my regular doctor in 2 weeks.

alz+
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 8:03 AM

Thanks for heads up - will check on your brand of bio identical hormonal replacement.   !!!

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/571299_5

searched: Bi Est Prog Cream

Tri-est is also frequently written as 1:1:8 (estrone, estradiol, estriol). The 1:1:8 ratio is the same as that found naturally occurring in the female human body. Bi-est is a combination of two estrogens: estriol and estradiol. It is most commonly found in a ratio of 80:20, estriol to estradiol.

What is estrogen, progesterone, testosterone

www.rx2u.com/natural%20hormones.htm

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:08 PM

Post-menopausal vaginal atrophy is a know etiology for recurrent UTIs, but apparently it is not widely known.  I posted about this on the Caregiver board.  I'm glad you are finally getting relief, Alz+.  I, too, hope that doctor will stay around longer.

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:32 AM

Once you get an ALZ diagnosis no one seems to care what else may be contributing.

It is all too frequent that whatever the problem is the assumed cause is AD et al and no treatment is sought.

My experience with the hormones was recent and not good. My breast became painful, I experienced bleeding, my uterus lining increased. 

I am now being watched to be certain that the lining increase was in fact caused by the hormones. If I were doing it over I would have had an ultra sound to check size before starting since size is an indication of possible cancer.

Bottom line? I did not feel any better. I think most do.

Canada111
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:12 PM

Once you get an ALZ diagnosis no one seems to care what else may be contributing.

So true jfkoc! I have a functional medical doctor whose own mother had early onset Alz, who told me that she never takes on patients who have Alz. I was her patient for 10 years, and now that I have it she tells me she this! 

She prescribed Naturethroid (supposedly natural thyroid) in 2008 telling me that I was sub-clinically hypothyroid. Likely I was not, as my TSH was never an issue in my regular blood work before she tested me, and I was seeing another doctor.  I was suffering from depression at the time, and reacting badly to a medication that was causing more depression and anxiety, and trusted that a holistic M.D. could help me. She suggested going on thyroid meds would help with depression. The point is now 9 years later, I have Alz. I have researched what taking thyroid medication does to the brain and found the utilization of thyroid medication may be associated with the development of Alz. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2820146/

One more reason that I think early onset is often caused by physicians- psychiatrists who prescribe anti-cholergics, and even holistic M.D.'s who convince their patients to take things that may ultimately harm them. I was not overtly hypothyroid, but once on thyroid medications one can not just stop. I was naive. I would have never started taking thyroid meds, or ever have taken anticholinergic psychopharmacological medications if I had known then, what I know now. 

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:06 AM

((((((Alz))))))

So happy estrogen is working well for you!

Woman belly dancing animated emoticon

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:12 AM

Years back insurance would not cover estrogen. Said that menopause was a pre-existing condition! What idiot doesn't already know that menopause is a gender pre-determined and pre-existing condition? Wondering if my current insurance will cover it?
alz+
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 5:39 AM

so far, super good!

I have appointment this morning with my country doctor, the one at clinic said I needed to see her.

My mood has been very good - the shingles scabs dried up, I used straight white vinegar over the itching skin for a couple days and it seems to have healed that very nicely.

I have been walking with the dog, sleeping soundly, and puttering around house. The crazy-head from UTIs is so awful, the pain so awful and every month! Hope this keeps working.

How do I know if estrogen has made me happy? Seems to have boosted the zoloft effect by 10.

× Close Menu