Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
More on Best Practices,
Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:00 PM

From today's NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/well/move/exercise-may-enhance-the-effects-of-brain-training.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fhealth&action=click&contentCollection=health&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Study does not involve patients with dementia and numbers are week but the thrust is exercise with cognition programs work. 

An older study said that each component of Best Practices was good in and of itself.  Combining them had a multiplying effect.

Larrytherunner
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:09 PM

I am a big believer in exercise. I have been running everyday since I was in the ninth grade when I started competing in the mile run on the high school track team. I was too small for other sports but I was unbeatable in the mile. Now I am just two months shy of 70 and I am still running every morning and feel great. Exercise is about the only habit where not only do you feel better but you can see the results in your appearance. You just know it is doing some good.

The only thing that I have doubts in the Best Practices is the use of alcohol. Some studies may show that moderate drinkers on average may have better health outcomes than abstainers, but they don't account for the fact that abstainers are more likely to have health problems to begin with. Also many studies count drinkers who quit as abstainers. This group is also more likely to have health problems. Many of the studies receive funding from the alcoholic beverage industry, and they could have some influence on the results.

I don't like the idea of recommending the use of alcohol, especially for older people and people suffering from pain. It is too easy for person in pain to begin using alcohol to treat the pain. I am an occasional drinker but I would not recommend moderate drinking as an health benefit.

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 6:56 PM

I hope no one is thinking that Best Practices wants someone to take up alcohol. 

I  do hope the massage is cut down.

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:14 PM

What I meant to say was: I do hope the message was to limit/cut down on the amount of alcohol drunk.

× Close Menu