Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Back from Alzheimer's Cruise but with complication
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 6:29 PM

Hi, everyone!  I returned from the cruise but I have been in bed all week with the 'flu and bronchitis!  (Yes, I did get a flu shot.) I haven't been able to do anything, even unpack or laundry.  I just thought I could pop in tonight and post a few words.  I missed everyone and being on the boards. There is much to report about the cruise, which was also an Alzheimer's seminar.  I'll have to report over several threads because there is so much.  I finally met Michael Ellenbogen and his lovely wife, Shari.  Shari had just broken her foot, but was determined to attend the cruise, which she did in a motorized scooter--she was a trooper!

I'm going back to recuperating.  I'll post more later.

Iris L.

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 7:33 PM

Hope you get to feeling better soon Iris.
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 11:07 AM

Welcome back Iris.

Planes are wonderful places to pick up all sorts of bugs.
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:28 PM

Thanks for the welcome, back, Sayra and Mimi.  Mimi, I know exactly where I picked up this bug, and it wasn't from the airplane.  I attended a computer class on the ship on Thursday, Nov 16 and sat in the front row from the instructor, who said she had a cold.  I should have gotten up and taken a seat in the back row at that time, but I didn't.  Later that night I began coughing, and I've been coughing ever since.  I didn't want to appear rude by moving, but I wound up hurting myself.

Iris L.

Unforgiven
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:24 PM

I wish you a speedy recovery, Iris.  I know the instinct to not disappoint.  I carry around a large drinking cup full of ice water that I constantly drink from and replenish throughout the day.  When my younger grandson comes to stay he wants to drink from my cup because of our special bond.  Even though I know for a certsinty that I will be sick with something or other 24 hours later, I can't break his heart.  I feel your pain. 
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:36 PM

Iris, what's the incubation period for a cold?

Regardless, you got it. And I'm sorry. Hopefully it didn't put too much of a damper on your week.

alz+
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:49 AM

Iris! so happy you had fun and an adventure.

May your recovery from cold be swift. Are your cats mad at you for having gone away? I always wonder...

Here is to adventure and recovery! welcome home!

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:14 PM

Mimi, my incubation was short, just a few hours.  This is more than a cold, because it is lasting for more than 7 days and involves the lower respiratory tract.  I'm still recuperating. 

Alz+, thanks for the welcome back.  I did have fun and an adventure.  I'm looking forward to posting about it when I have the energy.  My cats were glad to see me.  I think they are getting used to being in the kennel.  At least, I hope so.

Iris L.

elainechem
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 3:44 PM

It's wonderful that you had a good time on the cruise! I'm sorry you got sick though. Maybe you need to see a doctor? You are a doctor, so I guess you'll know when it's time to be seen. I am praying  for a full recovery. 
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:57 PM

Seven days!!

Unless you are well on the way to to recovery you need to see your PCP.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 9:02 PM

Get well quickly...we can't wait to hear everything.
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 10:44 PM

I'm taking the strongest OTC expectorant and cough suppressant, along with fluids.  That's the treatment for this type of viral infection.  I believe in heavy vitamin C and some other supplementation.  I never had a fever.  The bronchitis has stopped, now just the coughing.  In the past I have gone for up to 6 weeks of coughing after a virus, due to asthmatic airways.  I hope it won't last that long this time.  

Thanks, Mimi, Elaine and Jfkoc for your concern.  I am getting better.

Iris L.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:51 AM

feel better (((((((Iris)))))))
llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:53 AM

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:48 AM

Welcome back, Iris.   I am delighted to hear you had a good cruise and enjoyed yourself.  On the other side of the ledger, I am very sorry to hear about your URI.    These darned upper respiratory infections are such a tribulation and boy; that coughing does tend to cling.   Please take good care and if there is no improvement or if you feel a bit worse, I so hope you see a physician for yourself.  Even though a healthcare professional, we can sometimes do better with an outside objective medical assessment.

Mimi, those viruses are very, very sneaky and they can jump up and grab us very quickly and it can happen in passing; doesn't need a deep exposure.  We can develop the virus within a day of exposure. 

Here is a whole lot of information that may or may not be useful:

For colds, most individuals become contagious about a day BEFORE cold symptoms even develop.  Unfortunately, a person also usually remains contagious for about five to seven days.   Children are little Petri dishes and according to literature, may pass the flu viruses for longer than a week and can go up to two weeks!  

Adults can shed influenza viruses BEFORE they even feel the first symptoms that they are getting ill.  The CDC says one sheds viruses up to a day prior to onset of symptoms, other literature says a person can shed the virus thereby exposing others for three days prior to the onset of symptoms!  Either way, not good.

When I think of this, I always think of standing in lines at the grocery store, or being in a crowded mall, department store, church or theater,  surrounded by all and sundry in close quarters, not to mention traveling in a packed airplane.

These viruses not only get us by being sprayed into the air by someone's cough or sneeze, they also contaminate surfaces and then when we touch them, uh-oh!

It is difficult to remain at a high level of consciousness to not put our hands on/in our faces, mouths, noses, and not to rub our eyes; all places we can easily introduce organisms from our touching contaminated surfaces.

A person is still infectious to others even if taking an antiviral med such as, Tamiflu.  

So; Purell, Purell, Purell; handwashing, handwashing, handwashing; and then?   Handwashing again.  And best to stay out of crowds during flu season.  

What I really want is an invisible force field around me that viruses cannot get through; but alas.

One can wear a mask, BUT the fit is everything.  It must be snug around the face,  and cannot have open areas to let in more air.   One must never, ever reuse an ordinary surgical mask and when removing, do not touch the front area; instead untie the ties or remove the elastic from behind the ears at the back of the head, touching only those ties and dispose in trash.

In nursing school we were taught that surgical masks were good for only 30 minutes secondary to the moisture from our mouths which made the masks more permeable; however, some literature says good for up to two hours.  

EXCEPTION:   The N95 masks are effective for a much longer time.  They have that "respirator" piece on the front which makes them more comfortable, and they do filter 95% of viruses and bacteria and can be used again; however, they also must have a tight fit with no gaps, and do not touch the front of the mask.

N95 masks can be found at pharmacies and at hardware stores as N95s are often used by workers exposed to paint and other substances that have fumes.  We buy ours at the hardware store. 

NEVER, ever, share a mask with someone. Ever.

Well; more information than anyone wanted, I really wish there were a better way to curtail those viruses; they are certainly no joke, it is serious stuff.

Here's wishing Iris a big get well soon and that everyone stays well.

J.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:25 PM

Hi Jo,

Interesting information about the masks.  Our VAMC has a box at each entrance and Charles and I have taken advantage of them on several occasions.  Sorry to say my doctor's office doesn't provide them.  I was there yesterday but there were very few people in the waiting room and I only heard one woman sneeze- quite a distance from me.  I heard her talk and didn't hear the cold voice so, hopefully, it was an allergy sneeze.

I don't frequent any place during the flu season.  My grocery store is small and there is seldom a line to wait in.  I try my best not to go to WM and order cat and dog food from them online.

If people would try to stay home when they're sick it would be better or wear a mask to protect others. I often wonder why more people don't wear masks.  I do find it rather hard to breathe with one of them on but better safe than not.

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:56 PM

What bothers me are the thoughtless people who take pride in going to work while sick.   They expose others and if others become ill, they could bring a virus home to their LO who may have a health condition or to a baby and real harm could be done. 

Healthcare providers are also offenders including physicians. What; their viruses cannot be passed on?  What are they thinking?

As Administrator of Patient Case Management, all my staff had to go up to the patient floors and to multiple patient rooms.   Despite informing staff of policy of NOT coming to work sick, some still persisted and came in sick as dogs as they wanted to save days of "Paid Time Off," and hoped I would not notice.

I always, without exception sent them home; that is what their sick days were for.   No way would I want them in patient care areas exposing patients who were high risk with compromised immune systems.   I also did not forget such intentional acts when evaluation time came.  They were in a position of trust and they violated said trust in a way that could have had dire consequences.

When in Nursing School, we were training in Neonatal Care.   I came down with a heck of a virus and was so ill, but had to show up because if a person was absent three days or more in a year, you were out of the program.

I informed my instructor that I was ill and could not work with the preemies.   She told me to go ahead and work anyway; "just don't tell the hospital staff you are sick; they won't know."  What ??????? 

No way was I going to kill a baby.  Instructor tried to force me and I refused.   I actually left and drove to the university and saw the Dean of the Nursing School.   She excused me and told me to simply go to the medical library and had me do a technical research paper, which I did.  Took several days and by that time, I was well. 

Of all the unethical dynamics, that one took the cake.

J.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:05 PM

Hi,

Iris, glad the cruise went well but so sorry you got the flu.  Hope you're better soon.  Rest all you can.

Jo, one of our Chief Social Workers would come to work when he was sick.  He said he'd rather be at work when he was sick than at home.  Luckily he stayed in his office most of the time.  If everyone was more considerate of others there wouldn't be so much sickness.

I can't imagine what that person was thinking telling you to go where there were babies when you were sick.  Glad you reported it.

We should do as people in other countries do and wear masks to protect ourselves and other people, too.  The flu is a terrible thing and even worse for older people.  Many people die from it every year and sick people staying home could help prevent it.

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:11 PM

How are you doing today Iris?   How is the cough doing . . . . sure hope you are feeling better and that you are taking care getting lots of rest and lots of fluids.

Hug,

J.

alz+
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 5:26 AM

thinking about you Iris.

good info on cold virus etc- wondered how I get sick when I hardly ever leave the house.

isn't it a good feeling when someone comes back?! 

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 2:18 PM

It IS a good feeling.  I sure hope Iris is improving and is more comfortable now.   It will be good when she can drop a line and let us know how she is doing.

We are all thinking of you Ms. Iris, and we hope you are doing better.

J.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 3:21 PM

I am doing MUCH better!  It's amazing to think that tiny viruses can bring us down, but actually it is our own inflammatory responses that bring us down.  But our bodies have to bring a strong response in order to eliminate the virus.  I had a visit with my neurologist yesterday and I'm going to post about it later.  

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes and encouragements!

Iris L.

× Close Menu