Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Real symptoms or psychological
Andrew60
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 10:01 AM

In another thread, our late friend Sun still rises, stated in response to a thread about progressing from MCI to dementia.

There is also a funny phenomenom...where people, aware of the issue, sort of LIVE INTO IT.  In other words, appear become worse...but that this is purely psychological”.

My question is  how do you know if you fall under what she called a funny phenomenom?

There are days where I feel lost in the sauce, memory barely working. Other days I feel ok, but never normal. I have been reading everything I can find about dementia, and sometimes I think due to my newly acquired knowledge, maybe Im imagining symptoms that arent as bad, or not there. There are times where I feel a tug of war is going on inside my brain, trying to pull me across the imaginary line that separates MCI from dementia.

alz+
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:31 PM

there is something I might call "patient cooperation" in at times living out the scenario held by 95%of population as to what ALZ looks and sounds like.

You might find yourself in a doctor's office and he is trying to find a "memory problem" as that would be easy and go along with the idea ALZ is about forgetting oneself and all others until dead. The multitude of other symptoms are of no interest to the doctor and so you kind of freeze when asked what the date is or something and maybe you do know the date but you have to feed him something he can recognize.

When a person is told they have a condition that may turn into something more profound and terminal, it is natural for most of us to become super self-conscious about every word, behavior, ability, mistake to try to understand if we are getting worse or not.

There have been many many times I did something which was alarming and which I thought would be permanent but then those things haven't happened again.

Andrew - there is absolutely nothing wrong or exaggerated about noting changes etc. You might make lists or keep a journal to post here or whatever and it may help you get a sense of where you are. Then you  might forget to do that and find it doesn't matter. Or maybe you find it makes you more anxious so you adjust.

Pick your best destination and set your course for it, that was my rule and it helps 50% of the time.

lisabramey
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 2:55 PM

Dear Andrew,

I too wonder the same about myself then an event occurs like a hallucination, leaving my purse in our truck for 3 days and I never missed it till husband found it, reading 1 1/3 cups cooking oil for a cake mix then reading the 4th time it was only 1/3. Felt really stupid. It's these types of incidents that make me realise EOAD was the correct diagnosis by my Neurologist.

Lisa

Andrew60
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:47 PM

Thanks Alz and Lisa for the feedback. I do keep notes, but sometimes is seems to fall on deaf ears when talking to my Drs.

Sun still rising also stated that progression to dementia is normally measured by loss of ability to do daily activities. So far Im ok as long as I use reminders on my phone, or written notes, or my wife helps me.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:29 AM

Hi Andrew, the one constant about this disease is that our symptoms vary from minute to minute.
Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:42 PM

Alz said:

“When a person is told they have a condition that may turn into something more profound and terminal, it is natural for most of us to become super self-conscious about every word, behavior, ability, mistake to try to understand if we are getting worse or not”.

This is the same thing my Psychiatrist told me. I have always been athletic, and still run most days and lift weights. He said being an athlete, you are always aware of how your body is doing, and adjust training as needed. Same thing for whats going on in my head. I noticed things were not right for a few years, but then went to the Dr, and within a few months, Dx with MCI. Im sure because I went in so early, Im still at the beginning stages of whatever will come.

× Close Menu