Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Keeping us humble.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, October 7, 2017 8:55 PM

To heck with positive thinking. When it comes to baseball and the Chicago Cubs. I always approach the Cubs with low expectations. That’s the safe way. Think about it. If Cub fans have high expectations. And the Cubs let them down. By blowing games they should have won. It’s a real downer. But if fans psychologically brace for the Cubs following tradition. By finding new and novel ways to lose – well, that was expected all along. True Cub fans always try imagining the worst of all possible scenarios. As being a near-certainty. Keeps fans like me from being totally chagrined and disappointed. Yes, the mean-spirited  baseball gods know how to keep us humble. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:56 PM

It really shouldn’t matter whether the Cubs win or lose. But it really does matter. Because if the Cubs lose a critical/crucial game, especially in the playoffs, I go into a funk. Oh, I’ll get over it after a while. I’m not suicidal. Only momentarily depressed. I keep telling myself, it’s only a ball game. Not a matter of life or death. And I remind myself that the Cubs won the World Series last year. For which I am grateful. To pine for two World Series in a row – well, that might be asking for too much from the baseball gods. It takes audacity.  When granted one’s wish  last year. To wish for more and more. Endlessly. The time has come. For me  to tell the baseball gods, thank you. I don’t need more blessings. I have more than  enough. Better to spread the bounteous wealth.  To the deserving fans of the Cubs’ rivals. It's the decent thing to do.  --Jim

× Close Menu