RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends(23)
Lorita
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 10:50 AM

Morning,

Well, we've made it to October. April was always our favorite month with October next. The weather is cooler and leaves are turning. Not much here though.

Thought I 'd go ahead and start October's new thread. Hope all is well with everyone.

I've fed everyone and am back in. I have a headache this morning. I don't think it's associated with hitting my head because it's on the sidetop and that was four days ago. I took an acetaminophen and will rest again today.

Jfkoc, hope Dick is still doing better and you're getting some rest.

We hope Leanne made it okay during her first night alone in the woods.

I'm waiting for a callback so they can finish whatever they're doing on my laptop. I'll be back later.

Happy October!!

dayofhope
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 11:34 AM

Lorita, so glad that you weren't kicked in head by a cow. I agree, not sure you would survive that.

Happy October. Soon we will complain about the cold. I'm waiting for my niece to arrive, need to hang out some clothes on the line, hope everyone has a good day.

Later gators.
Tanya

Sasue
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 11:36 AM

Hi everyone, it's a chilly, very windy but sunny morning here today. I hope it's not too cold for Leanne, I'll be glad when she is back home. Looking forward to her pictures. I hope her pilgrimage is healing.

Lorita, I'm sorry I misunderstood about your run in with the cow. I'm sorry your head is still hurting, do you ever check your blood pressure? Having a headache for several days is no fun. Do you ever have sinus problems? I hope the neighbor's dog is staying away from Sheena. I did make chicken in the Nuwave, it turned out very good. It's easy to clean also.

It's getting near the end of my gardening, though I am still picking cucumbers and have many green tomatoes. Hope they ripen before we get a frost. We've had some nights in the 40's but no 30's yet. It's suppose to warm up some next week.

I hope everyone has a good day, keeping jfkoc in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandy

w/e
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 2:24 PM

Bonjour, hi
Today, I am up to my neck with hurricane Joaquin info.
My daughter and her family live in Long Island, Bahamas. Right now the hurricane is a Category 4 storm pounding the fishing village!!!
I've received several updates... they are safe and sound... She tells me that wise and experienced fishermen are "experts in survival"... They do not take any chances... They do not flirt with danger. They know how to prepare and how to take all the necessary precautions once they know when the hurricane is coming and how strong it will be...They've learned to survive in the island for generations and will continue to survive.
Thank g-d for the National Hurricane Center. NOAA. gov. and modern technologies. When it comes to weather forecasting; it has saved me from a few headaches!!!!

In my neck of the woods the weather has been gorgeous... a rainbow of colors, crunching leaves under my feet, cool air, and, of course, football with munchies and a beer.... I am in heaven in autumn.

Take care everyone. We are all warmly holding each other. It keeps us feeling loved, cozy, tranquil, and at peace. Even during our darkest hours.

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 3:18 PM

Lorita, you were the worry for alot of us.Here we were all concerned for Leanne then we hear you have been injured by one of your sweet cows that you have enabled us to love from afar.So glad it was not true.
You will have lots of prayers for sure for your head!
Rain today was sweet to wake up to. My mowers are both in sick bay so I will ask the neighbor to do it one last time. I have thought about the UTube thing...one needs a belt (riding mower) as so does the push one. Think I should try it?
Jfkoc I have you on my mind alot as well. I hope things are comfortable for you. It has been a hard week.
Tanya, I love clothes once they are hung outside. I have noticed though nowdays you need to iron them for sure, not my fav thing. But I sure have time now. I ironed the pillowcases yesterday.
Sandy last year I brought my green tomatoes in and some of them actually turned red a month or so later.
w/e we will be thinking of your daughter as we hear the weather updates. You listen differently when you know someone in the area. \
I am thankful for all of you readers and writers in this storm with me. blessings, sharon
I hope we hear from Barbara soon,. blessings, sharon

littleme
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 5:34 PM

Hi everyone, finally got access to the internet so I can log in. The knee is doing well,but painful. Now in rehab hospital, doing hydrotherapy twice a day. Getting better each time. I have seen Graham twice, he keeps asking when I ill be home, but eally doing well. Such a relief to know he is being well looked after.Haven't worked out how to make paragraph on the tablet but the stylus workes great! Love to all Barbara.
Sandymac
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 5:58 PM

Barb....great news, glad that things went well and that Grahame is coping.

Hit "return" after your sentence, and you should get a paragraph

In a hurry, time to get the washing out, then do the house, and we have to be in town at 12 for Ron to have a CT scan on his chest. The previous X-rays were inconclusive and dr thinks there is something there. This is going to be fun!!!
Cheers, Sandra

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:40 PM

Trying to read and not get behind. Very decent day here today but I know it can change in a second.

XOX to all

telinde
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 8:36 PM

Hi all. Made the trip to see Harv today. Seems like he feels better lately. I wonder if it is because they are tapering him off of the Alzheimer's. Meds. He laughed and clapped when I came in and hugged him. Very sweet for me. Those times are making good memories for me.

Barbara, good to hear you are doing ok in rehab. I hope and will pray your pain lessens each day.

Sandy, we used to put the green tomatoes in a box, one layer only, and cover them with paper. Most of them ripened and had a good flavor.

Hi Tanya. Hope your day with your niece was fun.

We, football, fall and snacks sounds like fun. On our hike the other day, we were walking on fallen leaves. I love the feel, sound and smell.

Sharon, nice that you are getting rain. It's supposed to cool off here and possibly rain over the weekend. We need it.

Lolita, so happy you didn't get kicked in the head. That would have been awful. I don't know how you corral those running calves. I can't imagine what that looked like. I bet they were cute, even if they were being difficult. I hope your headache goes away soon. I hate having headaches. Worst pain, and you can't do anything.

I hope Leanne has a restful last night in the mountains and gets home safe tomorrow.

Keeping jock in my thoughts tonight.

Have a restful night. Joan

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 9:36 PM

Hi everyone,

Nice, cool day here. The AC in the LR hasn't even come on.

They've been doing things to my laptop since 3 today. I just left it in the bedroom. Really getting tired of this.

I think it was the gate that hit my hip instead of the cow kicking me. I had that done last year and it was black and blue- this isn't even sore. Maybe she kicked at me and I just felt the air from it. They're good cows and if I get hurt it's my fault usually - something I did to cause it. My head still hurts but not so much where the pipe hit it. If it still hurts by Monday I may check with my doctor but they don't do anything for concussions anyway. The last time a pipe hit my head it turned blue and had a big knot. I'm thinking Ir's stress from the computer thing.

Sandy, glad the chicken came out good. I checked my blood pressure today and it was just a bit high.

I just let Sheena and Stormy in. Lance, the neighbor's dog was outside the fence. Didn't see him during the day.

W/e, so glad your daughter and family are safe. I know you're worried anyway. I can imagine the leaves up there are beautiful. Ours won't turn in this area for a month yet.

Joan, I love to walk in the woods in the fall. None around here to walk in though. Still haven't made a smoothie but I will.

Glad Harv is better. So you think he's improving some from the decrease in meds? I'm so glad.

Sharon, we didn't get any rain, maybe a sprinkle. Stillwater got 2". I love to wake up to rain if I don't have to get out.

Thanks for the prayers for my head. I hate headaches.

Also love the smell of clothes hung on a line outside. That's what I grew up with but I hate ironing.

Barbara, glad you're doing okay but sorry for the pain. I use a stylus all the time- just got 10 in the mail today. Ordered them from Amazon- less than $2. On my tablet the paragraph key is an arrow on the right side. Be careful with your knee.

Sandra, hope Ron's CT scan comes out good and doesn't show anything bad. Let us know.

Sandy, years ago Charles and I were in Arkansas in October and bought a lot of green tomatoes. I put them in a hanging basket in the kitchen and every one of them ripened. If they are very light green or a little white they'll ripen. Or, you could have fried green tomatoes- delicious!

Jfkoc, glad to hear things are okay today. You and Dick are always in my thoughts.

Sarah called this morning while I was at the barn. She went back to the hospital- uncontrolled, continuous vomiting. They transferred her to St. Anthony's. She called those doctors and can get in to see one if them in mid October but maybe since she's in the hospital sooner. I hope.

Joan, I've been letting the five cows out at night to graze and keeping the babies up. This morning I closed them in another part of the corral while the moms came in- easier. Three were out all day so everyone's up tonight. Seeing the little calves running and playing together with their tails in the air is a pretty sight. Wish you all could see them.

Leanne's second night in the mountains. Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing pictures.

Rest well tonight, dear friends.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 10:07 PM

Hi again,

Twink, where are you? I haven' t seen a post from you this week. We need to hear from you and Stoli. Miss you. I imagine the leaves are getting pretty in NH but you may be getting a lot of rain.

Maybe I missed a post on another thread?

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 11:07 PM

Make green tomato relish. Then roll catfish in cornmeal and fry it, of course we gotta have hush puppies. Oh, that sounds so good. Celi, go to Catfish hole for me. Oh, that sounds so good.
Jfkoc, it's good to hear things are looking up.
Lorita
It wouldn't hurt to see the Dr. Tomorrow. That is a long time to have headaches.
Everyone have a goodnight, sleep well.
Bonnie

Dd197
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 6:23 AM

Good Morning Everyone,
I took the trash out at 5:30 am and it was 47 degrees. Summer is over and although fall is wonderful, winter is right around the corner. I used to love winters and went skiing when I was younger but not any more. I read that winter will be milder due to El Niño. Two years ago we got so much snow that all the scrapers on the snow blower broke mid season. Our city plows the subdivisions, and when I just got done for the day blowing and shoveling snow, the city came through at night and plowed all the driveways shut with the snow they scraped. Ugh.

I took our dog our for a couple of long walks yesterday, and Dick wanted to go on the last walk for the day. Of course I was happy but told him he has to walk at a quicker pace than a snail. We walked one mile and he picked up his pace! It made for a much more enjoyable walk.

I noticed that he appears much sharper since he has been on the trial medicine. I don't know if it's wishful thinking or the placebo effect, but he said he doesn't feel so foggy in his thinking. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We went out yesterday to the gluten free bakery to pick up bread. He loves the folded individual pizzas they make so we bought a couple. We also went to his favorite restaurant for lunch. It was a nice afternoon.

Lorita, please see the doctor to get your BP checked and also the headache. If it's a concussion, there's not much you can do other than rest and avoid physically demanding work. Not easy when you're running a farm.

w/e, it sounds like your daughter and her family know how to "weather the storm" when it comes to hurricanes. Hope they stayed safe.

Barbara, Glad the surgery and the care for your husband went well.

Jfkoc, thinking of you and hope things stay quiet for you. Yes, things can change quickly.

Joan, it sounds like Harv has adjusted well being off the meds. So glad you had a good visit with him.

Every year my father used to take all the green tomatoes before the frost came, wrapped them in newspaper and place them in a box in the root cellar off the basement and they would last till Christmas. Enjoyed reading about the green tomatoes as it brought back memories. Thanks, Sandy, Barbara and Bonnie for writing about it! Bonnie, hope you are doing well.

Hope the ct scan went well for Grahame. When Dick had to have an MRI, he called it "the tube" and it frightened him. The technicians were wonderful as they walked him through it every step of the way. He had one 4 years ago when he was diagnosed with Alz, but he didn't remember. He needed another one for the clinical trial.

Have a busy day today running errands and getting the oil changed in the car. We are going out for dinner with our son tonight. Dick loves the sautéed perch and they also make it gf. So much easier for those with celiac disease today as compared to almost 4 years ago when he was diagnosed.

Hope everyone has a nice day...

Lorita
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 9:50 AM

Morning,

Bonnie, fried catfish and hushpuppies- nothing better along with the green tomato relish.

Hope things are a little better- it takes a long time. Just day by day.

Diane, so glad the medicines seem to be the real ones and are helping. I know how happy that makes you. A mile is a long way to walk so he must be some better.

It was very cool here this morning. Could really feel the coolness on your face. Our winter is supposed to have about normal temps and wetter than normal. That could mean freezing rain and ice-- not good!

Luther spent the night outside. I don't know when he slipped out. I guess he just wandered around all night because he has very little vision. Lucky I found him this morning out by the barn.

My head is uncomfortable- dull headache. Thanks to both of you for your concern and the little push. I just called and will see my doctor at 1:30 today. I think it's great that a person can call and usually get in the same day. And he's a very good doctor.

Hope everyone is well thus morning. Jfkoc, hope your bug is gone and Dick does well today.

Back later.

dayofhope
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 10:42 AM

Hello ladies. Remember when Friday was a happy day? After retirement, it is just a day, but I think I'll make it a happy day anyway. I had a special day with my niece, today is her 31st birthday, so she took time off work. We walked 5 miles just for the fun of it with our dogs. My DH and 85 yr Mother walked 2 miles with us, they pooped out. Later after dark she and I spent time star gazing, I live in the rural, so it is easy to see the stars. You would be amazed what you see in the skies at night. We saw 3 shooting stars too, the simple joys of life, that is my cup of tea.

Who mentioned the curse word ironing? I have never found an iron to fit my hand. ha ha I try not to use my clothes dryer, waste of money I think. I find hanging clothes is another stress reliever.

My DH continues to decline, some ways subtly, some ways not, but I have resigned to life as it is. I try not to look into the future, that's dreary, but I am ready, no matter what happens.

I hope that you all have a good day in whatever way the simple joys of life can offer. You are all a part of my heart now. I'll try to write more often, but just know I connect by reading everyday.
Tanya

Lorita
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 3:58 PM

Hi everyone,

Just back from the doctor. He did x-rays to make sure there wasn't a hairline fracture. He didn't think so and there wasn't. He said there's a nerve where the pipe hit my head and it's probably bruised. Slight concussion that should get okay in two or three weeks. Said to take it easy. He always asks if I have someone to help me with the cattle.

Decided I'd get feed while I was there to save a trip next week. Got some protein powder and a few groceries.

Tanya, Happy Birthday to your niece. I can't believe your 85 year old mom and husband walked two miles. Sounds like my 90+ year old friend, Mary.

You know I still have the same iron I got when Charles and I got married almost 45 years ago. Only use it to press things.

Aren't the stars beautiful? We're in the country and there's no lights so there's stars galore.

Joan, I gained four more pounds since I saw the doctor last. I got romaine lettuce and spinach. I begin tomorrow. As a last treat I got some potato wedges to eat on the way home from WM.

I thought we might gave gotten a post from Leanne by now- maybe later today.

I asked the doctor about a different pain med and he said nothing stronger than 400-600 mg. Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen. Guess I'lll tough it out but I'm glad it isn't anything bad. Blood pressure is okay.

Going to let the cows into the meadow this evening and all but Charlene and Angie into the other pasture.

Be back later.

telinde
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 4:17 PM

Hi all. Cool and cloudy here with a warm breeze. The clouds are getting darker so I hope we get some rain. We had a really hard workout at class today, and it left me tired out and not wanting to do much. Guess I'll work on the hospice bear I have waiting for me.

Lorita, glad you got in to see the doctor. I hope it's something minor, and not worrisome. I just saw your post so will say I'm glad it isn't too bad. You need to rest as much as you can.

I have been having one shake a day so far, and trying to eat healthier. Lost one pound, but I'm sure it's probably just water weight. We can do this. For me, it's a mind set. Once I get committed, I usually do better.

Did they finally get your computer updated? The waiting is the worst part. Fed x came to drop off my new laptop today, but I wasn't home. I signed their note, so maybe it will come tomorrow. I'm excited to have a laptop again.

Diane, good news that Dick seems better. I pray the drugs are working for him. Sure would be good news. I see so much decline at the Alzheimer's. Center when I visit Harv. It is sad to watch the residents failing week to week, and some of them have.

Bonnie, I guess I need to look up green tomato relish. I don't think I have ever tasted it. I love tomatoes so I bet I would like it.

Tanya, your time with your niece sounds like a lot of fun. Happy for you that you got to relax and have fun. Those long walks, especially having someone to walk with and talk to are a treat.

Have a good afternoon. Looking forward to having Leanne check in later.

Jock, hope you feel better today and that Dick is holding steady.

I'll check in later. Joan

w/e
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 5:29 PM

Lorita, I'm so glad you went to the wise doctor! Now, be a good girl and take heed of his directives.
Isn't it amazing how a headache absorbs your whole personality. And when it drifts away it feels so good...
Right now... with a glass of red wine... I am thinking of each of you... and loving you all.

Sasue
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 6:58 PM

Lorita I'm glad you were able to see the dr today, better safe than sorry. Hope you are feeling better soon. It would be great if Sarah gets to see a new dr and finally get some relief.

w/e have you heard any more news from the Bahamas? Hopefully everyone is safe.

Barbara I'm glad your surgery went well, I'm sure the rehab is painful but so necessary. It's good that Graham is coping well.

Sandra, any news about daycare for Ron. Was everything ok with his X-ray?

We were finally able to get to the grocery store today. Rich hasn't wanted to go anywhere. He pushes the cart for me but sits in his recliner as I haul everything in from from the car. It doesn't occur to him to help but as I was rushing back and forth he got up and gave me a hug. That was nice. It's chilly here, in the 50's and very, very windy. Lake Michigan has 10 ft waves and it's suppose to be worse tomorrow. No frost yet so I'll keep my tomatoes on the plants, expecting a warm up next week. I'll pick the green ones when frost is imminent.

Joan, I'm dieting too. No smoothies but I'm only drinking an Atkins shake for lunch. I'm not a breakfast eater either. I just have to be careful because I'm diabetic. My downfall is eating after dinner. Rich goes to bed around 7 and I get bored. I've lost 2 lbs with this routine.

Diane I hope Dick continues to do well with the trial. I wish I could get Rich to take walks, Casey and would like the exercise.

Jfkoc, you are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Everyone have a good night and weekend.

Sandy

Lorita
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 7:27 PM

Hi again,

Joan, I called iTOK and they're finished. Should be virus free now. It has almost driven me nuts this week waiting.

What kind of laptop did you get? I guess you'll have Windows 10. I got mine the year Windows 7 came out. It's an HP that I bought from Staples. W/e, I'm going to take it as easy as I xa. Took a nap this afternoon after I got home. Then, moved the cows to the meadow, got the moms in to their babies and fed Charlene and Angie. Tomorrow morning everyone except those two are going into the pasture.

I drove down and closed the entry gate- Susie rode with me. Found Luther and got him back in. He's beside me in the chair.

Sandy, unloading groceries is something I don't like to do. Guess that's why I order everything I can, especially heavy things.

I'm on the tablet and it just told me the battery is low.

Barbara, hope things are going well without too much pain. I've heard rehab is hard.

I'll check in before I go to bed to see if our happy wanderer has made it home. Jfkoc may have to go get her. Hope Dick is doing okay.

quits
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 7:47 PM

Sorry everyone, I am jumping in to share a video link for Lorita that Bridget...Biddie asked me to share.
I didn't want to start a new thread for it.

I don't have time to read everyone's posts but I do pray for you all.

https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/y4/r/-PAXP-deijE.gif

it is a cute cow video

We started dh on the new Namenda/Aricept combination medicine yesterday. I will update if it changes anything.
love,
quits

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 8:31 PM

Well, I am not the brave person in the woods all by myself with a horse and a mule. Those two would probably scare me as much as the bear! Being raised in San Francisco only taught me to be comfortable with dogs and cats! But just in case you are checking for something to read, I thought I would post.
I had to laugh when someone said they only use and iron to press things!!!! I think it was Lorita with
her concussion. Oh how easily I am entertained. I am so glad we heard from Barbara.It almost sounded like they were in the same facility ; she and hubby, is that correct?
Well my 19 yr old will be moving next week. He got a job and a room. I know it will help him grow up and it is in Stillwater, an hour and half away. This will be good for us, As a mom I could keep them forever, but I know it is not good for them. My 22yr old adopted boy is retarded and will begin a work program next week as well, from 8 to 4. He and LO always went golfing each day, so this last few months has been real hard on him.; he likes to socialize and be on the go. . This should help LO have a little more control in our home, if all is quiet during the day. Blessings to each of you, especially those of you going through such trying times. sharon

telinde
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 8:55 PM

Hi again.

Just checking in to read a bit.

Sandy, glad you're losing. It takes me forever to get weight off. At least I'm starting to diet before I gained back the weight I lost over the past year. I get bored here by myself too at night and start grazing.

Lorita, good you rested. Maybe getting most of the cows and calves out of the corral will free up a few more minutes for you to rest.

My computer is a Dell with Windows 10. It should have the major kinks worked out by now.

Laquita, cute video. I hope things are going well for you. Keeping you in my prayers too. Good to have you post.

Sandra, good news for your boys. They will be happier in the long run. They always come back to visit and eat. Harv had trouble with extra noise and commotion in the house too. I think it just goes along with the disease.

Sleep well. Joan

littleme
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 10:35 PM

Just a quick note for Sharon, before I go off for another hydrotherapy session.

Graham is in a respite house attached to a nursing home about 4 or 5 miles away. I am in a rehab hospital the opposite direction from our home. So, we are not together.

I just had a phone chat with him, his staff said he is missing me. He is anxious for us both to be back home. He says that he feels well, but gets unc
omfortable with other "residents, who interrupt his privacy, or interrupt him doing jigsaws. But says he fels well.

I still feel a bit guilty that I plan to be home alone a couple of days before he gets back. But it just has to be!
Barbara

Mulelady
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 8:31 AM

Good morning, Just a very quick note to let you know I am home. I took MANY pictures and will work on getting them posted this morning. My trip was a complete success, so much so, that I think I will do it again soon.
I thought of all of you as you rode there with me in my pocket. Thank you for being there. Leanne

Mulelady
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 9:55 AM

I am going to post the pictures, as I don't want to lose them.
File Attachment(s):
My trip to Welcome Creek 013.JPG (131845 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 016.JPG (88907 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 017.JPG (140942 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 018.JPG (133167 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 019.JPG (101329 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 020.JPG (98336 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 022.JPG (84808 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 024.JPG (82723 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 028.JPG (85440 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 029.JPG (120445 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 031.JPG (78938 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 033.JPG (84877 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 034.JPG (76775 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 035.JPG (93073 bytes)
My trip to Welcome Creek 036.JPG (143174 bytes)

Mulelady
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 10:30 AM

Good morning,

I hope I did not post so many pictures it becomes boring. Just hard to choose which ones. I will first tell you all about my trip, then comment on what has gone on here since I left.

Wednesday I got up and saddled my horse and 2 mules before day light and stopped for breakfast in Augusta. Got the to the trail head and wonderfully had no trouble lifting packs and getting set off. The day was bright and sunny, not a cloud in the wonderfully blue sky. The trail climbs a lot and at points, it is so high you can see almost forever. The trail had not been cleaned this year, so lots of dead trees in the way. I cut out what I could, moved some and the horse and mules kind of crawled over the rest. It was a good trip. I never once felt alone. But...I did have a big pocket full of caring friends alone for the ride. It is hard to explain how much comfort that gives me.

I set up camp, then scattered a few ashes in the park. There was plenty of grass for the horse and 2 mules. Trixie and I ate sandwiches and chili. She did very well for a dog with bad joints. I gave her Rimadyl and a pain pill.
On Thursday I rode up around the Scapegoat wall. The day was cloudy, but still very pleasant. It was a hard ride and took about 5 hours. I left the mules in camp, but Trixie went with me of course. Once again, she did well. That was one of Don's favorite rides and I felt compelled to do it. I did a lot of crying and a bit of plain sobbing! But, by the end of the day, I had kind of talked every thing out with him. Talking out loud to the mountains, trees, rocks, or whatever was listening. The memories it all brought back were both bitter and sweet, but mostly sweet. I know he was with me Consoling me and reassuring me that he is okay with the way my life is going. I think he will always be there with me when I need him the most and particularly in the high places, deep in the woods.

Yesterday was again sunny and bright. I thought Trixie might have a hard time, but with a pain pill and her doggie Ibu, she loosened up and made a good walk out. It was about 15 miles each way, so she had quite a workout. Today she is on her bed and looks to remain there.

All in all, my trip did what I wanted it to do. I know that I can do whatever I want to, with or without someone else. I am reassured that the things I loved to do with Don are not out of reach because he is gone. I am strong and can depend on my own skills and knowledge. I can truly count on Me, Myself, and I.

That being said, it is nice to have someone there to share the mountains with. I also know, that I could use to gain a few pounds. I felt that I needed a few rocks in my pockets a few times. So, I shall continue to go with Dale when it is possible, but won't feel that I can't go alone if he can't go with me.
I appreciate the fact that he left me alone to do what I needed to do and did not interfere. It was hard for him and he was waiting for my call yesterday, as was Zane and my Mom.

I was tired and "filthy" by the time I got home. I ate everything in sight last night, not because I hadn't eaten well in the mountains, but because I had worked hard and my body was hungry. Today I am cleaning house and doing a little laundry. I got home at just the right moment. It is raining and blowing hard and forecast is for snow tonight. My three beautiful days were a gift. Thank you all so much for being there with me, and for me. Leanne

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 10:47 AM

Hi Leanne,

Glad you're home safe and sound. I know why you felt you had to go - not just to prove to yourself that you could do it alone but to talk things out with Don. Glad you got that done and feel good about it.

I knew there would be tears - even reading your post there are some tears here - they always seem pretty close. I'm glad Trixie made the trip okay - I know it was a comfort to have her with you.

Your campsite is so pretty and the pictures are wonderful. I can't imagine being out in the wilderness like that by myself - or even with someone. But, you've done it so many times, it's just second nature to you. Tell me, a flat-lander so to speak, why are there so many dead looking trees. Is that just something that happens in the forest? I know we have dead ones from time to time so I guess that's the reason there, too. The mountains are so beautiful. There may be some snow on them in a few days.

It's great and probably not a coincidence that you picked three days that were beautiful before the bad weather set in. I know you're glad to be home and to know you can do it when and if you want to.

I'm sure Dale, Zane and your mother were so anxious to get the call from you that you were home. We were all anxious to see a post from you, too. I expected one yesterday - even thought maybe you stayed an extra night. But, I'm glad you did it and are satisfied with how it went.

I know we were all with you as was Don so you weren't alone. I talk to Charles all the time, too - I think it makes us feel a little closer to them even though they're not with us anymore, except in spirit.

Again, thanks for posting the beautiful pictures - wouldn't mind in the least seeing more if and when you have time. Glad you're home and well. Rest some today and be glad you're home and did what you set out to do - all of it.

Mulelady
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 10:57 AM

Boy, I am really hogging the thread this morning. I hope all are well.

Lorita, So sorry you got hurt. How is your hip? I know the doc looked at the head. Hope the hurting stops soon. I think getting hit in the head is the safest place for me. It seems to be the hardest.
Sorry Sarah is so sick again. Darn, seems she could get some help now rather than waiting.
Glad you found Luther. Do you think any of the boy dogs got to Sheena? You should be able to get her spayed now.

Barbara, Good to hear that the knee is getting better. I know if is hard for Graham to understand you being gone, but he is getting good care. I hope you rest well on the few days you will have home without him.

I want all of you to know, that I own an iron, I'm just not sure where it is. Last used it to thaw a pipe. Either that, or wax some skis. If I have something that needs ironing, I give it away and replace it.

Joan, Sounds like you and several others are on a mission to get in better shape. It is wise to exercise and not just diet. The muscle helps with the losing. I need to do something to gain a little weight, so if all of you losing would dedicate a bit to me, I could use some Butt and a little Boob wouldn't hurt either. Being told you are built like a little boy, is a bit hard on the ego.

Sandra, Certainly hope Ron's x-ray didn't show anything wrong in the lungs.
Daycare would be such a good thing for both of you.

Sharon, It will be good for both of your son's to be a bit more independent.
You will always be there mother no matter where they live or what they are doing. I get so much from my son and daughter. He lives fairly close so I interact with him more, but my daughter is also a treasure.

Sandy, That evening boredom is a killer. I used to eat ice cream with or without Don. Finally switched to popcorn, which helped a little. Now, I seldom buy ice cream, but also have found some other things to keep me busy in the evening. It is much harder for someone who must be there to keep care of a loved one. I get in my car and go somewhere nearly every evening until about 8 pm, then come home and go to bed.

Diane, I certainly hope that you are on the "receiving" end of the trial. How wonderful that would be, to see actual positive results. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Jfkoc, You and Dick were in my thoughts all the while I was gone. I thought maybe that was you sitting beside me at my campfire. Perhaps it was. Keeping you very close to my heart.

w/e, Yes, your thoughts are always good in my world. You are the city person with all of the knowledge of the professional world, I am the country person physically and mentally ready for my tasks. Even though we are very different, we are very much alike. Your philosophy so often seems to match my own. Your words just express it better. I value your friendship. Too bad we are so far apart, with your glass of wine and my bottle of beer, we could solve all of the world's problems. Hope you daughter and family stayed safe.

Jo, Glad you stop in and check on us old hens. Sometimes we need your urging to do some of the things we know we should but don't do. Like going to the doctor to see if our melon might be broken, or wearing the alert button.

Now, I must go and get dressed. The morning is flying by. I do believe that Dale will be here soon to check and make sure I am truly in one piece. It would be good if my hair were combed and my teeth brushed. But then, if I am built like a little boy, I should be able to act like one.

Hope everyone has a great day. Thanks again for riding alone in my pocket. Leanne

dayofhope
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 10:59 AM

Never too many pictures Leanne. It was wonderful looking at them. I loved that you had your horses ears in a couple of shots. He was very alert and enjoying the ride, I could tell by his ears. Ready to make the flight or fight choice. Lovely.

I understand the need for your journeys, very happy that you reinforced who you are, acknowledging the strengths and losses, reaffirming life and death, the cycle thereof. Nature is such a wonderful teacher, healer, comforter.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I can't blame you, I would want to go every chance I could too. One day, I will do just as you, when the time is right.
Tanya

Mulelady
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 11:00 AM

Lorita, The dead trees are what is left of a fire that went through about 30 years ago. Most have fallen, but there are few remaining. All of the green is new growth since then. Leanne
Lorita
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 11:31 AM

Hi Leanne,

I'll give you at least 20 pounds, more if you like. Also a couple of bra sizes and a couple, or more, inches on the hips. I just haven't been eating right this year.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could do that? I need to buy something I really love a couple of sizes too small for now. Maybe that would be a good incentive to lose.

My forehead is hurting some- I think emotions cause some of it and I did cry a bit. Guess I'll take something for it.

Sasue
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 11:52 AM

Leanne, glad your trip was just what you wanted it to be. Loved the pictures, a couple looked like postcards. Just a side note, when you say you look like a boy it reminded me of a time I was wearing an outfit that was all one color and Rich told me I looked like a light bulb. I was highly insulted.

Lorita hope your head feels better soon.

Just wanted to welcome Leanne home, she was always on my mind.

Sea Field
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 12:15 PM

Lorita, if you are handing out bra sizes, I'll take one. Apparently I'm built more like Leanne though it has been a few years since someone has suggested that I am built like a boy

Sorry your noggin is still giving you problems. I've had a few concussions myself. Not fun. Hope it is back to normal soon. And your hip too.

Leanne, the pictures were spectacular! They restored my soul. Tom and I used to hike a great deal. This past weekend I worked up my courage and hiked one of the trails that we enjoyed so much. I haven't been out there for a few years - since before he lost the ability and desire for a long hike. Chose a beautiful wooded section. Cried all the way in. And all the way back out. I could feel his presence with me from the very first step. Luckily, no one else was using the trail, so I didn't have to worry about looking like a 'crazy lady'.

Still having a great deal of fun drumming. I'll try to attach a link to a picture. I am the one in the peach colored shirt.

Jfkoc, sending good thoughts your way. Hoping all is as well as can be at your house.

Blessings everyone, Cynthia

Sea Field
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 12:25 PM

I tried editing my post but it won't let me. Guess that functioning is gone again.

I wanted to say that we were holding a drum circle at an assisted living facility. About 20-25 residents joined in. They had a great time playing drums, tamberines, shakers, ... My teacher (guy in the zz-top beard) does a fantastic job of getting everyone, children through elders, involved.

× Close Menu