Standard Monthly Site Maintenance Scheduled for Wednesday, October 23rd from 8:30 p.m. CT to 2 a.m. CT.  Click here for more information.

RSS Feed Print
This would be funny, but it's not.
mikeswife
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:13 PM

Maybe someday I'll look back and laugh about this but….Another day in the life of Alzheimer's (boy I hate this disease) Sitting here watching my husband have a melt down because he can't leave the house. He is carrying on a conversation with ???? putting on every piece of clothing he can find, he has three pairs of pants on two shirts and two coats. He would have on more than one pair of shoes if he could figure that one out. I came home sick by the time I came out of the bathroom he has found my keys and lost them somewhere. My melt down is next……
IWillSurvive
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:25 AM

Sometimes laughter is the release that we need to let out some of that pent up tension that comes from living with someone with Alzheimer's.  I make sure never to laugh at my husband in front of him but many a time I have laughed with friends who understand the situation and it serves to be a release that I sometimes need.  Thanks for sharing and might not be a bad idea for all of us to post these funny but not stories.  Just think it could be a place to come to and read when we hit that moment when nothing but a good laugh will get you through.  Thanks for just giving me mine.  Hope you are feeling better.
Marjorie McCarthy
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:53 AM

At 6 AM my hubby wants to go home again. What do you do just let him argue and complain? Try to ignore them. Mine has his coat inside out and has slippers on. He is so sad, thinks I'm at fault that he can't go home. Took him for car rides twice yesterday. Not going to today. Told him I'd call 911 if he took one step out the door.No I'm not laughing either.
quits
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:45 AM

Isn't it amazing how like children they can be......quickly getting the keys but losing them, the losing might be saving you from his escape but I understand not feeling up to par and having to find them is so frustrating....laughter does help and sometimes it is laugh or cry.
Marjorie McCarthy
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:45 AM

Oh my goodness, yes.

I finally asked him if he could sort out our huge jar of coins, to find quarters, dimes and nickels. Well, he has been at it for an hour or more. No rhyme or reason for what he is sorting but he is very busy. I gave him little bags to put the coins in. Now he wants a pay check for the work he is doing.

pdrer
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:24 PM

Sometimes we just have to laugh to keep from going nuts.  We do need to keep this one going......
quits
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:48 PM

Running errands last night, the gas station was last on my list.  My husband was watching the gas gauge and was extremely nervous. "Oh NO! We are almost out of gas!"  was repeated at each of 4 stops with the same tone of voice and expression.  I was smiling by the 3rd time.
bonob
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:01 PM

Oh boy! My husband did that with the clothes for a couple weeks and then he quit.  Now he is in to taking all the sheets, pillowcases, etc off all the beds and then I get to make them again.  I bought a cheap bunch of flowers for myself at the grocery store and first the cat knocked it over and after I cleaned up all the water my husband took all the flowers out of the vase and laid them side by side on the table.  Its so hard to feel like a real person anymore!  He goes to bed at 7:30 and this is the only time I can use the computer or watch TV, etc.  Right now I'm thinking I will make myself a drink and put on my pajamas and watch American Idol.  Yea!
L7738
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:42 PM

Sometimes it is hard not to laugh - my husband uses the toilet by himself.  He very modestly will close the bedroom door and then the bathroom door.  He usually will remove his pants and underwear, and sometimes, all modesty gone will come out into the living room in just a shirt complaining he can't find the rest of his clothes.  Thank goodness there never has been anyone else around when he does that.  I then go back with him and if the clothes are on the bed give them to him, if on the bathroom floor get him clean ones.  And check that he hasn't ;put the dirty TP in the sink or shower.  Always have disinfectant handy.
Teresa99
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:54 PM

What is it with taking most of the clothes off to go to the bathroom?  My husband does that.  Have had to remind him when the cleaning lady is the house.  He is the one always complaining about being cold and having 3 layers on.
neciebombom
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:35 PM

Oh my it is sad,but you made me laugh.  He wanted to be paid.  It is so true you do not know what is next. I am on the beginning of my journey with this disease. Every day I say please get me through this.
Johanna C.
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:55 PM

My mother had several lovely embroidered nightgowns.  One day, she found a pair of scissors.  There she was in bed with her newly tailored nightgown on; it had been cut off right at the top of her upper chest . . . . and her bosoms had taken a vacation to south of the equator . . . . . bizarre cartoon in appearance . . . . shock . . . . stunned . . . . shock . . . . hysterical blindness a risk . . . . I discovered ALL of the nightgowns had been cut the same way.

Later, I just suddenly burst into laughter . . . if one doesn't once in awhile, all the nuts, bolts and springs just come flying out of our craniums and the only thing left is the cuckoo.

Johanna C.

Johanna C.
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:21 PM

A woman I knew related the following trauma with her mother:

There was to be a large party for residents at her mother's ALF for dementia residents.  Friends and family were also included in the event.  Sort of like a glorified tea.

Well, the daughter was late getting to the facility and since the party was already in progress, she went directly to the large activity room where the place was filled with people, but her mother was not there.  As she was asking an aide where her mother was; Mother suddenly made an appearance in the doorway to the room.

She had tried to look her best.  She had on a sheer bright pink nightgown with nothing on underneath except pull ups, special attention had been paid to her hair - she had used her toothpaste as hair gel and it was sticking up and out everywhere.  She had used her red lipstick generously and did not color inside the lines and also figured it would make great rouge and carrying her pocket book on her arm.  She was also wearing her ear to ear, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"  smile . . . stunned silence suddenly began to fill the room as heads turned  . . . .

Suddenly, all the aides made a mad run at the doorway in order to whisk her away, nearly tripping over the panicked daughter who was doing her own mad run . . . .

As the daughter said later, after she got thru with an hour of; "OMG, OMG, OMGs," she suddenly began to giggle and then broke out into laughter . . . . it could only have been worse if there had been a photographer.

Sometimes . . . . .

IWillSurvive
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:35 PM

I remember once taking a long drive with hubs to Jacksonville, Florida.  About 5 minutes after we started he asked how many miles and how long it would take.  I explained 5 hours to drive the 300 miles with stops for gas and then more depending upon how many times he had to go to the bathroom. He got highly agitated that we would be driving that long and not leaving the state.  So I offered to drive us to Georgia border, turn around and come back down if that would make him feel better.  He was horrified and said no way.  Then five minutes later, it started again, how many miles and how long and all this in one state.  After two hours of this non stop conversation and about 5 bathroom stops I decided to pick up the pace so then got a ticket for speeding. Officer asked me why I was driving so fast and I just started laughing and said I was trying to reduce the number of times I had to answer the same question and that I was rushing to get to saying only 25 miles left.  Needless to say the officer didn't think it was funny and I ended up with a whopping ticket and had to continue enduring this non stop mantra.  Drove me nuts and on the way home, yup, you guessed it,  "lather, rinse, repeat".
mikeswife
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:00 AM

Thank you all for your contributions.  I found my keys and I had a good chuckle over some of these.  I love the part about wanting a paycheck and while I would be mortified if my mom came out like some of these ladies it did make me smile since it isn't my kin.  It makes me remember one more story (which is funnier when told by my moms friend)… a friend of my mother, had her mother with dementia.  The lady would not be without her purse, and if she could not find the purse the resulting paranoia about her purse being stolen ensued (I am sure a lot of us can relate to that one).  When her mother passed she buried the handbag with her.
mikeswife
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:03 AM

Oh and the saddest (funniest) part about my original story (that I can say out loud here but no where else, and only now that I have distance from that day) is that he had his pants on the bottom two pair then he had my pants over his….dementia or not it with everything else I put up with…I hate that my butt is bigger than his.  Well my vanity is still intact, anyway.
Johanna C.
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:53 AM

Oh, now I am laughing non-stop . . . . I can relate!

Johanna C.

Gypsywanab
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:53 AM

I'm new to the boards.  Hi to all.

"They shrunk!  What shrunk?  My underwear.  I don't think so, they're not new.  Let me see.  Let your pants down.  They're on backwards.  You need to take your shoes off, then your pants, then your underwear and turn them around.  That's it.  We'll no, not quite.  Now they're inside out. Need to turn them.  OK.  Now put them on.  Good.  All set now?  Oops!  Take your shoes off.  You need to put your pants on first". etc.

And how did your day start?

pdrer
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:08 AM

OMG!  I wish I could laugh out loud, but my H is setting in the same room.  How we all can relate to so many of these "funny/sad" stories.

We just got back from the credit union....my H wants to go there often just to get $100 cash for his billfold (I take it out little by little so he doesn't carry so much) and he enjoys talking to the ladies there.  When he came back to the car he told me that he only got $45 this time, he didn't know why but that must have been all the cash they had.  I asked him if he asked for $100 and he said no, he just saw that $45 was all there was.  I was a little confused but didn't say anything.  When we got home I looked in his billfold at the receipt and saw that he had deposited $45 into the account (which happened to be the amount of cash he had on him).  At lease he didn't give it away to a complete stranger!

I need to call them and see what he told them.  I have talked to them and they know about the dementia and that he will never be there by himself, I will be in the car if there is an issue.  I just want to keep letting him do this as long as I can, gives him some independance with money that I can pretty much monitor.

quits
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:56 AM

thought this counts in this thread:

Marjorie McCarthy
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:53 PM

Too funny! I wish the forum had the "Like" option like facebook, I enjoyed so many posts.
quits
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:03 PM

Since my husband started the antibiotic for his UTI, he is doing better but keeps repeating things so I have to answer him again and again and again.

Today I got him a DQ blizzard as a treat and the woman made me repeat the order at the window and HE says "My Gosh how many times do you need to repeat that to her!"   I just looked at him and started laughing and said "As many times as it takes I guess."

dsnyfans
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:07 PM

I believe laughter and faith are probably the only things that keep us going! My husband is whining about everything....and I have started laughing (to myself of course) I ask him what's wrong and he will say 1 thing and if I keep asking, he will keep adding to the list. At some point, it is pretty funny! I feel like crying most often so it's nice to smile at something!
quits
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:43 AM

Johanna C.,

The crafter in me is wondering did you make anything out of the lovely embroidered cut outs?  Lol.  I laughed again rereading that post.  

Cindysghost
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:01 PM

Dear Quits I was having a really bad day yesterday and happened on this thread. I laughed at each post until I reached yours and since my mom is asking questions non stop your story hit HOME. I laughed one of those belly busters and read the post to my husband, I came back today to reread it and thank you so much for sharing.

Love and hugs, Cindy

quits
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:21 PM

Cindy,

I understand bad days.  In my family, women have a sarcastic sense of humor and it is lost on my husband.  My husband still works in a supervised job and calls me.  He ALWAYS asks "Where are you?" even if it's the house he calls. My daughter made his ringtone on my cell phone Jennifer Hudson's Where you at?   and then she sent me a pic on Facebook that says 

Cindysghost
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:35 PM

I clean house every Monday and I can be back in the bedroom busy and she always wants to know what I am doing, rather than get irratated I make up things like " I am having a party" or "looking for "Mr. Goodbar" makes me smile and answers her question.......
Teresasullivan
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:08 PM

What about cursing , mine does it all the time , and bad curse words ?
Teresasullivan
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:11 PM

I like that , I'm going to try that, when I ask my DH what he is doing , he says" your job" I laugh and tell him " we'll do a good job"
Lorita
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 9:56 AM

Gypsywanab - 

That is so funny!    We've had that conversation in our house a few times, too.    Also wanting to put his shirt or sweatshirt on his feet and legs.  I guess the armholes confuse them.      

It's not funny at the time - it's so frustrating.   Imagine how they feel. 

Johanna C.
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 10:14 AM

HI quits; no, I did not make anything out of the remnants from Mom's nightgown alterations.  I was having a hard enough time just trying to vanquish the vision that smote my eyes of my mother wearing her new and improved "shortie" and her "covergirl" look.  Oh me, oh my.

Oh, sigh.

Johanna C.

mikeswife
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:04 PM

If anyone is familiar with the PBS show  from England, Call the Midwife, there is a nun that has dementia.  I usually cannot watch any move or show that has someone with dementia or Alzheimer's but this is presented with such love that she is my favorite character.  I have started answering my phone "Nanata house" which is the name of the nunnery.  If you get this show I encourage everyone to watch.  It shows all sides of the human condition with love, humor and insight.  She has some of the quirks we are talking about here, such as her ability to eat any sweet thing she finds and remain so innocent when asked if she ate it, but she still has some weird wisdom that still leaks out of her confusion.
quits
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:11 AM

I did watch a couple of episodes and liked it.  I will watch more to see her character!
Nama
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:35 AM

Hi Quits,

I just love the "I am Lost"  I'm sitting here just cracking up every time I read it...thanks forn the laugh-it absolutlely made my day...

GGmaw
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:24 AM

Last night we were watching TV when my husband said "I'm tired - I'm going to bed".  I said "let me help you with your bath."  He answered, "I can do my bath by myself."  Then he asked "where's the bathroom."  We've lived in this house over 45 years.

× Close Menu