RSS Feed Print
Kidney Infection!
Lills
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 2:30 PM

Last Wednesday night, my DH had 3 seizures.  He's never had one before!  It was terrifying!  Since the seizures, he's been sleeping most of the days and has been fitful at night.  He hasn't been able to get in and out of bed, can't walk without assistance and has been even more confused than before.  This afternoon, I saw that his pjs were drenched with sweat.  As I was changing his Depends, I saw that  his urine was amber color and VERY smelly.  Since he's been sleeping so much, it's been difficult getting him to drink more liquids. I knew it would be a challenge to take him to Urgi Care in his condition, but decided to take a chance on going.  Thank goodness I did!  DH has a kidney infection!!  Doctor thinks he could recover to how he was before the seizures after taking the antibiotic.
Marabella
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:46 PM

Lills, thank goodness you made the decision to take him in. I hope the antibiotics work quickly and his condition improves. Hang in there!
Ed1937
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 6:22 PM

That's a tough thing to handle. Did that stem from a UTI? Hopefully he'll recover everything he lost.
Marta
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 6:44 PM

UTI includes the entire urinary tract:  kidney, uriters, urinary bladder, and urethra.
ElaineD
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 8:00 AM

I no longer have UTIs, and haven't had one for 6 years.  I take D-Mannose Daily.  D-Mannose is cheap and available over the counter. It has 0 side effects.

From NIH research paper:  D-mannose powder had significantly reduced the risk of recurrent UTI which was no different than in Nitrofurantoin group,

Nitrofurantoin is Macrobid.  The antibiotic for UTIs.

Here is the link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23633128

I had ONE kidney infection, at age 65.  TERRIFYING.  I didn't know, tried to tough out 'the flu'.  By the time I got to the ER I had e-coli in my bloodstream and was hours away from septicemia.

Before the kidney infection I had NEVER had a UTI, but afterwards UTIs were chronic. Each UTI terrified me that I would have another Kidney infection.

I know UTIs and Kidney infections can be more or less routine for some people.  But they can lead to death.

Regards, ElaineD

× Close Menu