Donate
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (118)
Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:58 AM

Morning,

Happy April!   Important month for my family - Charles' 88th birthday will be on the 5th and our 49th anniversary on the 22nd.  I guess those are things we'll never forget.

So - this stuff has now invaded my dreams!  There doesn't seem to be a way to get away from it.  It's on the news, people are talking about it and on this forum the first thing you see when you sign in is the daily post of how many people have passed away from it.  Too much.  You can avoid most of it during the day but it sneaks in and now it's in dreams - I'm sure I can't be the only one.

So, guess it's taken over for a while.  We'll get through it - can't hang crepe all the time.  I'm not seeing as many posts from people who are needing advice or help.  The forum  has changed.  Guess the only thing I can do is keep posting about the girls and what's going on here.  Probably people think the same thing about it - although I don't think our thread is a downer.

The babies are fine - eyes are open and mom is taking wonderful care of them.  They're fat and sassy, as they say.  It'll really be something when all six of them are running around.  I told Mike about them (he knew we were expecting) and he asked what I was going to do with them.  I told him I didn't know yet and he said if I decided not to keep all of them to let him know because people are always asking him about kittens.  I'd like to keep them at the barn but the mother's used to the house and I'm afraid they'd drift back to the yard and that would not be good.  Tom and Jerry never come into the yard and the GPs bark at them sometimes anyway.  If I do give them away, I'll keep one - can't get rid of all her babies. Max is in the bathroom with them now.

I'm frustrated with Chewy.  I got an e-mail that my auto ship (dog food) had shipped on the 23rd.  Yesterday, it said it was out for delivery - didn't come and now this morning another e-mail saying it should arrive in 7-10 days and another place that it should arrive today.  I tried to call them last night and was on hold for 45 minutes - every 30 seconds a recording would come on saying someone would be with me in ONE minute.  Finally gave up.  We'll see what happens today.  I started another auto-ship for catfood - seems they have the same kind I get at the feedstore.  Wonder when it'll get here.

Still thinking about cooking those butterbeans so maybe I'll get that done today.  Probably won't take but three hours for them.  If you cook them too much they're like mush.  I buy those little fruit pies that you cook in the microwave  and my 1100 watt microwave cooked them just fine  - doesn't work in the 700 watt so I'll bake them in the regular oven when I bake cornbread. Question: I've never used the rolled cookie dough you buy but about a month ago I did.  It's not supposed to be frozen, is it?  

I'm anxious to know what's going on with Patsy and Jack's house but I'm going to refrain from asking.  I didn't talk with either of them yesterday.

I'll stop and finish my juice.  I was able to see Rose Bud and Sweet Pea before they got off to graze and I've fed Tom and Jerry, Max, Kitt and Lilly.  Still need to feed Barclee, Stormy (asleep on the divan) and Sheena.  I woke up at 4 this morning and they wanted to go outside - guess they heard a wolf so now they're inside to get some sleep.

Received the canned food for the GPs yesterday - supposed to come by UPS but our mailcarrier delivered it.  Can't understand why sometimes UPS delivers and other times it comes through the mail.  So much I don't understand.

I'll be back later.  Hope all of you are all right this morning and had a good night's sleep.  Supposed to be a pretty day here with rain in a couple of days.

VetEly
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 9:59 AM

Lorita,

Dont freeze the cookie dough. I keep some just in case company coming.

I make Bill sugar free cookies since he is diabetic. 

I use sugar free cake mix and 8 oz cream cheese.

Bake for 12-15 min

He loves them.

I agree this site has really down because of what is happening.

We are in stay at home orders here in Fla and can't even go back to our home in 

South Carolina. I keep Bill away from everyone but his PTSD /sundowning rears 

it's head in the afternoon.

stAy safe and keep the stories coming

SHirley

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 10:34 AM

The number of posts seems to be down on all of the boards. This disease has drastically changed most of our lives and we are no where near seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. 

It is real, it is frightening and worst of all it did not need to be this bad in our country. Unfortunately to many will not face reality. My granddaughter at Barnes/Jewish says that they are not prepared and likely that they will not be. So we sit and wait for what is coming....sigh

New subject...It is a beautiful day here in Lake Wobegon. Sunny and mild. Hopefully the Sunshine will be make for a good house cleaning at Jack's. I hope their important papers are in a safe place. On Hoarders they come in with face masks and snow shovels. 

Is Sarah still using a cowbell?  Has she gotten her new contour box? It is easy to install...just plug it an and attach to the TV. If it can not be done I wonder if she can still s ubscribe to something like Netflix or jump onto your Amazon Prime.

1/2 a backyard in bloom! My, I wish I could see that. Are the daffodils King Alfreds?

Lorita...can you sync your phone to your computer? Have you started to use your computer?

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 11:57 AM

Hi,

Nice to hear from you, Shirley.  I hope you and Bill are okay.  I bet it is hard when he sundowns and you can't get him outside much.  This will be over and we'll be back to normal - just has to run it's course.  If each of us does his part, we'll be okay.  There's many more recovering from the virus than is succumbing to it.

So, all you use is the cake mix and cream cheese?   I bet the cookies are soft - and how easy to do.  Easy like my pumpkin-spice muffins.  I don't think I have any cream cheese eor I'd try it.   I won't freeze the cookie dough.  Don't know why I picked it up - never have used it before.  Guess some little voice was telling me I might need it.  In fact, I did pick up a few things that I don't normally buy last time I was at the store (a month ago).  I'm fine as long as I have food for the dogs and cats.  Girls are eating grass and have liquid feed and I can make it.  Can always make a loaf of bread.  I've never made yeast bread from scratch - Sara does it, so maybe I can.  I'm just not in the mood to cook right now though.

Shirley, you and Bill stay in and stay safe.  Are there people close to you?

Judith, I still haven't done anything with the computer.  I'll have to call Tech Support and have them set it up and transfer things to that computer.  I want to be able to use either of them - guess they can do that.  But, I'm just not in the mood now - too many things going on.  I don't know anything about syncing my phone to the computer.  What would that do?  I don't have a smart phone or iPhone, just a little flip phone so it probably wouldn't work anyway.

I can't get in touch with Patsy.  I've tried twice this morning with no answer and it says her mailbox hasn't been set up.  Not sure  why it says that because I've left messages before.  I won't call Jack in case they're working there.  I do hope they delivered the container and are hard at work right now.  If they don't get it done, she'll never be able to leave the NH and he'll  go off the deep end.  We'll see, maybe one of them will call today.

Judith, most of our daffodils are King Alfred.  We dug up some at old home places and I think we probably bought some.  We planted them at the MH, all across the fence by the road and when we moved down to the farm house we transplanted a lot of them.  But, every year they appear in different places - probably being moved by a mole or maybe one of the GPs digs them up and they come  up somewhere else. They were gorgeous this year.  I have one that's white with a pinkish center, one double one (that's the kind we had when I was growing up), some that are smaller than King Alfred and a few bunches of tiny ones.   My wild violets are blooming and the Glory of the Snow.  I  need to transplant some of them to other places.  Also saw a few small Althea I'd like to move somewhere.  The grass in the yard is really tall but I'll let it go - don't want to have anyone around.  Maybe one of the girls will be closeby and I can get her into the yard.

This time of year, Spring, I always think of Honor Heights Park.  The VA Hospital is at the top of the Drive so you can see the park from the back windows.  It's azalea time and they have a festival every April and the park is gorgeous.  Daffodils are everywhere along with all the blooming bushes and the beautiful azaleas.  We have tried azaleas here and they don't do well. 

As far as I know Sarah isn't using the cowbell now.  They surely have gotten their electric back on.  I'll check with her today.  I think she's still only getting local stations that the NH subscribes to.  I don't know what a contour box is.  But, they either won't let Cox Cable in, or they won't come in, probably the former.

She said Todd had a terrible headache yesterday so stayed home but was going to bring her some medical supplies last evening.  I heard this morning that people who smoke are more susceptible so I worry about him especially being out in the public all the time.

Wonder why more people aren't posting on all of the forums?  I think this virus is consuming the time of most people so they don't think about anything else.  I'm still staying away from the news of it as much as I can.  Impossible not to see some of it because I do like to see the weather. 

I thought for a minute I'd cook the butterbeans - even got the slow cooker out of the pantry, then changed my mind - think pasta sounds better.  My left side (muscle pull) is still bothering me and now my ring finger on my right hand is hurting like the dickens.  It's arthritis and the finger is starting to get to the point I can only bend the tip of it - it'll be like  my ring finger on the left hand.  It doesn't hurt all the time but when it does, that's enough.  A friend who had lots of arthritis once told me that the joints hurt when the arthritis is getting in them but after it does, it doesn't hurt any more.  That's really been true with my finger. 

The kittens are fine.  Just went in the bathroom to check on them and mom's in bed with them and papa is asleep in the chair.  The way he sometimes sleeps is so funny.  He kind of crouches and puts his forehead down on the pillow or whatever he's on. I've never seen a cat sleep like that. 

Today I should have given Barclee Comfortis for his allergies.  Went to get a tablet and I didn't have any.  I usually get two or three at one time so guess I used the last one last month.  I called the vet's office to see if they could send some - they can and will along with Medrol for him.  She told me they weren't going to stock Comfortis any more so she'll send four, what they have left.  Guess I'll have to order it from PetMeds.  She had to call me back because they were so busy.  They always are but she, and Mike, said they're even busier now. 

That's all I know for now, which isn't much.  Judith, I absolutely loved the video you gave the link to about the people dancing in the streets.  What a good idea for them to get outside, see the neighbors and get some exercise.  Wouldn't work here but I can get outside all I want to.  I did actually see three people yesterday - all outside of the yard while I was either on the porch or in the house.  Close enough.  You're right, Judith, our Country wasn't prepared - who would ever have thought something like this would have happened. 

Take care.

ladyzetta
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 12:15 PM

Good Morning All.

Lorita,  I do not find this thread to be a downer I love hearing about all your fur babies. It amazes me of all the things you can do. I think Lilly and Max would love for you to keep one of their babies its always fun to have a kitten in the house. My cat Rascal is 9 but he still acts like a kitten. I also get many good ideas from this thread everyone here is so caring I find it uplifting.  

I did not sleep too well last night myself I think it was because the wind was blowing so hard and it was keeping Molly awake she decided she wanted to go out at 3am so I got up to take her out and alls she wanted to do was check things out. We went back in she thought it was treat time I told her no and we went back to bed. She went back to sleep not me i wanted a cup of coffee so I have been up since 3:30am. 

I has been snowing off and on here for the past 2 days. It does not stay it pretty much melts as soon as it lands.  

My Best Wishes to you all please take care. Hugs Zetta 

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 1:08 PM

Thank you, Zetta.  This thread was, and is, so much help to me.  When I first started down the road with Charles' dementia I had no idea what to expect and I learned so much from others who were dealing with it.  I've continued the thread all these years after I lost him because I've made friends and it's my connection with them and other new ones that come along.  I always hope I can help someone with their problem.  It's really just a place to come and visit for a while.

I bet Molly will take a nap with you this evening.  Every day I think I'll take a nap but never get it done.  This evening might be different.  I woke up at 4 this morning and don't know why except it might have been Stormy that woke me up because as soon as I was awake he was nuzzling my hand.  They wanted out and after that I did go back to sleep but not enough.  It probably was the wind that woke you - I hate to have the wind blow so hard and I bet we don't half a dozen days during the year when we don't have wind.

When do you finally stop having snow?  I bet it seems like a long winter.  We had an early spring - quit feeding quite a long time before the usual time.  Just went out to see if I could see the girls - didn't see one until finally saw them up at the MH in the shade.  Hard to see a black cow in the shade.  In the summertime they either spend the day up there or in the barn.

Just checked on the babies - they're having lunch with Max sitting next to the bed.  He and Lilly are really in love - caught them kissing each other a day or so ago.  I'll have to have her spade as soon as it's safe or we'll have more little ones.  When I was growing up we always had lots of hay in the barn and always had cats.  But, they were feral and the mothers would  have the babies way back between the little bales of hay and I couldn't reach them.  By the time they were old enough to come out of the hay, they were too wild to play with.  It wasn't until after Charles and I got married and moved out to the farm that I had a cat.  It was Alexander - a pretty gray tabby that came to live with us.  Turned out that Alexander was really an Alexandra.  Charles bought us a Bassett puppy (Tilly Lee) and when Alexandra had kittens Tilly sat close to her and howled each time she had a kitten.  We lost Tilly when she was five - she developed tumors in her neck and had to go to sleep.   Charles and I cried and cried.  Hard to lose a pet and we've lost sooooo many and I cry each time.

Sorry, didn't mean to get into all of that.  Judith, Sarah called and I asked her if she was still using the cowbell - she is - the light system is not working, not the electricity.  She said lightning struck something that knocked out her cable - her roommate has hers.  She said the contour box wouldn't work with her TV.

Going to go and find a bite to eat and take a nap.  Missed the news and weather.

BethL
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 5:26 PM

I would love to upload pics of my garden, but I can't figure out how to decrease the size of the file. Currently in bloom are daffodils, crocus, Siberian squill and Glory of the Snow. I'm not sure what kind of daffodils I have. Some are pure yellow; some are yellow with an orange trumpet and some are white with a yellow trumpet.

Some of the flowers I have in my garden are bleeding heart, peonies, 100+ daylilies, wisteria, coral bells, daisies, clematis, pulsatilla, honeysuckle, Culver's root, hydrangeas, hibiscus, bee balm, Prairie smoke, perennial geraniums, Virginia bluebells, coneflowers, poppies, nigella, larkspur, lupines, foxglove and more. It's a beautiful place if I do say so myself.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 6:37 PM

Beth your garden does sound beautiful.  Sounds like how mine use to be.  Now I am at a new place with a lot less plants.  That’s ok.  See my daffodils have buds today and see my tulip blades today.

I have been busy. Made my sister 12 face masks today.  She works in a part of hospital that is not direct patient care.  She would still like to wear one. I wanted to make 16 so she could change it every 30 minutes, but my machine just stopped all of a sudden.  The hand wheel will not turn.  Have no clue what is wrong.  Is there a seamstress out there that knows?  May try to google later.  Can’t take it to have it repaired right now so may try to see if I can do it by hand.  Will be much slower though, will just do when I have free time.  She can still change it every 40 minutes.  

Hope to plant seeds tomorrow.  Having a lot more wash to do too.  Probably making a lot of extra work for myself but keeps me busy.  Feel like I wash my hand as much as when I was working lol.

Take care

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 9:44 PM

Hi,

Beth, I don't know if all computers are alike as far as posting pictures or not.  I have an HP laptop with Windows 7.  When I start to post a picture and get it to the place where you can change the size, I click on "resize" and 100% shows.  I take off the last zero making it 10% and it works just fine.  If this doesn't work for you, we can try something else and probably someone with a lot more computer savvy can help more than I.  I do remember when I was trying to learn to post a picture I had one heck of a time and someone walked me through it.  It's been so long ago I've forgotten who it was but I've posted dozens over the years.

Your garden and flowers sound beyond beautiful.  I can just imagine how it must look when everything's in full bloom.  I tried to look up the squill and it didn't give a very good picture - also the prairie smoke intrigued me - guess since we live on the prairie.  I noticed a couple of days ago that my peony is up about a foot tall.  No blooms last year but it did have some the year before - a beautiful, shell pink.  Also have purple bee balm coming up that I transplanted years ago from the meadow.  They smell funny but are pretty.

Sara - can the face masks you made be washed and used again?  I don't blame your sister one bit for wanting to wear one.  If I was able to go to town I'd wear one for sure even though they say it's not necessary.  I don't have any gloves but I have a place in the pantry where I put things so tomorrow I'm going to take things out and see what's in there.  I know I used to have some. I have five boxes on the front porch that I need to get opened in a couple of days so the gloves would come in handy.  Wonder if you can use hand sanitizer on them and use them again.

Sorry, I can't be of any help with your sewing machine problem.  I have one I can't use because I don't know how to thread it.  We bought it at an antique auction for the cabinet (didn't even know it had a machine in it).  Luckily it was threaded and I did use it for quite some time and somehow it got unthreaded.  I used to make everything from drapes to chair covers to cushions and pillows.  I don't think I'd have the patience to do that anymore.  My winter coat I've had for years and bought at a resale place needs a new zipper and I'd attempt to do that if I could get it threaded.  The coat is good and it's very warm so I've put snaps and hooks and eyes on it to keep it closed and it still pops open at the most inopportune time.  If I lost some weight I'm sure it would be better.

This afternoon about 2  I said to the kids "let's go in and take a nap".  Everyone except Barclee, and I carried him, got up and went to the bedroom.  Kitt got on the bed and snuggled with me.  He's so sweet - he reaches up with his little foot and touches my cheek.  Anyway, we laid there a while - couldn't go to sleep so turned on the TV to a music station - New Age.  I like a lot of the New Age music - most of all Yanni.  Heard some really good ones; The Rain Must Fall, Face in the Photograph and Flight of Fantasy.  They're very soothing and calming and so pretty.  Years ago when our OETA station had their fund raising times they'd have a Yanni concert on.  We watched every time he was on and I think we bought (not from TV) all of his CDs.  His music is beautiful and so was he with his white, silk shirt, long hair and facial hair.  I looked at a current picture and he's still not bad at all.  If any of you have the chance, listen to some of his music (you can get it on google or YouTube.  I don't have a CD player now but I can still listen.   Another little story; years ago (seems like everything was years ago) our CD player wasn't working like we thought it should.  We took it to the repairman and when we picked it up  we asked him what was wrong.  He said "nothing except it has a Yanni CD in it".

I just watched Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks' live concert on TV.  I don't really care for him but it was really good.  Had to cry a couple of times.  Sometimes it gets to me - that I'm really alone, especially now.  When things were different I felt like I could go into town if I wanted to and at least visit a bit with some people I know.  I was alone then but it felt different that it does now.  Maybe the reality of truly being alone from now on has really hit me tonight - no one to worry about how you feel or wonder where you are when you go outside and don't get back inside in a short time - or someone to go outside with you as Charles always did.  Maybe it's not having someone to talk to who will answer.  I talked to the dogs and cats and cows but no real answer.  Maybe some of you ladies who are in the same boat as I may feel the same way.  Reality hurts sometimes.   I just need to get outside for a while but it's too dark and there's wild hogs, wolves, coyotes, panthers and other things around so I'll wait until tomorrow.  I'll be fine -  no other choice.

I did talk with Patsy and she said the people came today and worked four hours.  She said they got the kitchen cleared out and will be back tomorrow.  She said they won't clean the house, just declutter.  She knows a woman who used to clean her house and she said she was going to call her - but, she works fulltime at the dialysis clinic but maybe on the weekends.

She's not doing too well with her physical therapy.  They dropped an overbed table on her leg a couple of weeks ago and it's swollen and bothering her and she 's been nauseated.  Can't get out of bed by herself.  She'll have to improve some before she can go home.  Can they keep her from going home if she wants to?  She said she  was told if she went home AMA her insurance and Medicare wouldn't pay for her cost of care while she's been there.  Don't know.

I started watching a cute movie "Peter Rabbit" before I talked with Patsy so missed the last half hour.  It's on again so I'm going to catch that part.  I'll stop before I wear out my welcome if I haven't already.  Sleep tight and stay well.  See you tomorrow.

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 4:30 AM

Good morning

They are washable Lorita, that is why I am making them.  As you know they are in short supply.  She is wearing a mask but feels a little uncomfortable doing it because others in her area don’t agree.  She is also uncomfortable though because they aren’t keeping their space.  I told her I would put tape on the floor showing them where to stay.  She said that would make them mad.  One lady they work with is severely immune compromised.  Hard to understand people.  I’m different than my sister.  I would say to them I love you all but I’m going to wear my mask and you will need to stay outside the tape because that is what I am comfortable with.

Lorita President Trump says wearing a scarf around your face is better than wearing a mask.  That makes sense to me and I had already thought about that.  It  is three weeks today since I have been to town.  Probably three weeks before that I was going very little.  Has been a long journey.  We have no reason to complain though.  Thought about those who have served in war, long periods of time and harsh conditions.  Will be glad when I can go to town.  I will probably wear that scarf for a while lol.  

See the fed ex, ups trucks are getting a lot of business on my street.  See them a lot normally but it has definitely increased.

Dr Birx last night said once you have the virus there is a 99.9% chance you will not get it again as you will have the antibodies then.  I had wondered about that.

Lorita I consistently see that the virus only lives 24 hours on  cardboard.  That being said I give it a few more days lol.  Cardboard in the box has gone without being touched longer than that.  I am trying to become comfortable with that.  Hard surfaces seem to be where they live the longest.  That is harder to find a definite answer for.  I still disinfect them once a day but no one has been inside my house in  5 or 6 weeks.  I wonder is it really necessary for me to do that.

Hope I can work outside some today.  They are giving sunshine so as long as it is not too windy or cold.  

At work I always heard that if people signed themselves out AMA that their insurance did not pay.  JoC may know if this is accurate or not.  Sounds really like Patsy is not able to go home.  Sounds like home is in a pretty bad state and Jack is not able able to take care of the house or Patsy.  Selling the house for whatever they can get out of it and starting over in a small apartment might be best idea.  That may be impossible too in the state they are in with no help.

Hope everyone is able to have a peaceful day

ronald71111
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:01 AM

Checking on my friends and hopefully all is well! Even though I haven't posted much lately, I have been checking on all of you. Lou and I are fine, just this virus has given me more to have to reassure Lou we are ok. Try not to watch much news while she is up, but some things stick in her head and this is one of them. 

Our anniversary Tuesday was ok even though she couldn't remember it. One good thing was it was nicer to remind her of our wedding and 53 years together, than to have to constantly answer other questions as to why she was here, where is her kin, etc. 

Still wanting to make the divinity, just haven't felt like tackling it. Might whip up the peanut butter cake instead. 

Ron

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 11:25 AM

Morning,

Sara, glad you're having a good weather day.  I saw the weather early this morning and he said it was going to be windy so I took down the flag and it's a good thing I did - the wind is howling from the south.  I set my alarm to go off just before 6 a.m. so I could watch the Waltons at 6 - saw the girls as they were getting up and going off to graze, then went out and fed Tom and Jerry and took down the flag.  Those two boys are always ready to eat but I can barely touch them even after all this time.  Lilly's housekeeping this morning - for some reason she digs in one end of her box and pulls the little rug back - have no idea why she does that.  I picked up one of the babies - a dark, solid gray.  His or her little eyes are open and he/she is so cute.  I can't tell boy kittens from girls.  I showed the baby to Kitt and he gave the kitten some sugar.  When I took the kitten back to his mom she was bathing one of them but as soon as I put him down she started bathing him.  Guess she's protecting them from germs.

If I was your sister I wouldn't care what the others thought about wearing a mask.  If it makes her feel better, she should do it.  Last year I had a couple of doctor's visits (routine) and it was during flu season so I wore a mask and the doctor commented that I was doing the right thing. Don't know about wearing a scarf - someone might think you were going to rob them (kidding).  Any and every thing we can do to make us feel more secure, we should do.

I have one box on the porch that came Monday, I think.  I may open it today - I think it's dog food.  There's also canned dog food in the car that I'll probably leave there a while because I have some in the house.  The other boxes from WM came Tuesday so I'll leave them a while.  It's a darn shame that we're afraid to even open boxes when they arrive - or mail.  I still have mail from last week (junk mail) on the outside back porch that I didn't bring in the house.  I'll ink out my name and address and put them in the trash.  Did bring in a magazine and a couple of catalogs this morning that had been out there since Monday - and were sprayed. 

Sara - it's been four weeks tomorrow since I've been to town.  I bought feed at that time and may have gone to the grocery store to get a few things.  Our Governor has said that no one, even younger people, should be out among people unless it was to go to the grocery store, pharmacy or doctor.  I don't even know if our doctor's office is open.  Patsy did say Jack went to Urgent Care a day or so ago for what he thought was thrush.  She also has it  - don't know how that happened. 

My left side is hurting this morning, fairly low down and up and over the hip bone and lower ribs.  I probably restrained the muscles leveling out the creep feed a day or so ago - which I need to do again today.  No rest for the wicked, as they say.

Those people who are working on Patsy and Jack's house said it would probably take two days.  They worked five hours yesterday and she said they got the kitchen done - not sure about any other places.  I do hope they're working today and don't leave them in the lurch.  At this rate it'll take a week to get it done.  The container is rented for ten days so maybe within that time frame they'll finish.   He goes into town every day to get fast food to eat so I told her that maybe he'd start cooking.  She doesn't agree.  It isn't safe for him to be out among people all the time but he says it doesn't bother him at all. 

Sarah called this morning - she had a little run-in with another resident.  She had gone, in her wheelchair, outside to smoke and this older lady (about  my age) came out in hers, to smoke and ran into the back of Sarah's w/c - said it hurt her back.  I told her to steer clear of her.

Ron - I know it's humid where you live and there's more rain predicted.  As for the divinity, I love it, but don't try to make it when it's rainy.  I tried that once and it just didn't work.  I'm sure Lou will enjoy the peanut butter cake.  Have you ever tried the pumpkin-spice muffins, or cake if you like?  Only takes a spice or chocolate cake mix, a regular sized can of pumpkin puree (not the pie mix) and an egg.  I also add mini chocolate chips.  I bake them at 350 or whatever the cake mix box says until they look or feel done.  Then, I let them cool and freeze them.  When I'm ready to eat one or two I microwave it for 15-20 seconds, split it and add a little bit of butter.  They're so very good.

Glad that you and Lou are well and staying inside.  You know if Charles was still with me, I'd avoid all the news (we mostly did anyway because he thought the news people were talking to him and it aggravated him).  I wouldn't mention any of this to him.  It's stressful for us so imagine how bad it is for them.  I don't watch much of the news either - just what I happen to see when I'm looking for the weather reports.  It's good to know a little of what's going on but so much of it isn't good - for anyone.  Another one of the reasons I enjoy this forum but I still have to  not read a lot of the daily posts by one or two people.  It doesn't help to repeat everything that's on the news - just adds too much stress - at least for me - and none of us need that either as caregivers which is stressful enough or for the rest of us either.

Joan in Colorado - haven't seen a post from you in a coon's age.  I'm wondering what's going on with you.  I know you're keeping busy - maybe you could post so we'd know how you are.

Same for Joan in Virginia - I know you're taking care of horses and getting things done around your farm.  Still loving the metal hose - for some reason Stormy is drawn to them, maybe because they're shiny.  I try to keep the one I fill the two big water tanks with up on the fence out of his reach but he manages somehow to reach them (guess that shouldn't surprise me because he's so big) and bites on them.  I'm afraid it'll hurt his teeth.  They're still working just fine, even with the bite marks.

I need to put an anaplas block in the mineral feeder but may wait until the rain we're supposed to have tomorrow is over and probably should check the creepfeeder.  I still have seven 50 lb. sacks of 20% creep that I'll put in the creepfeeder when it's empty.  Always something to do.  Also still need to check that big cubby hole in the pantry to check for gloves.  I carried a metal, folding workbench out to the storage building this morning and an electric saw that looks like a lopper.  Probably shouldn't have but they needed to be out of the utility room.  Still have to get a new floor put in when all of this is over and I feel comfortable having someone in the house.

Instead of listening to Zen music last night to fall asleep, I listened to the New Age music channel on TV.  Woke up  to Yanni this morning.  You all should listen to some of his music, if you haven't already.

I've written enough for this morning so I'll stop and finish my hot tea.  Glad I bought another box of tea bags last month - and one of those muffins sound good, too.

Stay well.

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 12:48 PM

Being on antibiotic or using steroid inhaler can be a cause of thrush.  Probably are other causes too.

Good to hear from you Ron.

See my daffodils are getting buds.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 4:12 PM

This is not political.....but.....please do not rely on our president for anything medical....no, a bandana is not better than  a mask....if Dr Fauci say bandana then OK.
Doityourselfer
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:08 PM

Lorita, Thanks for your suggestion of Yanni's music.  I just downloaded some of his tunes from Amazon music.  His music is so relaxing!
Stuck in the middle
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:20 PM

My daffodils are nearly past their prime, but the peonies are a foot tall.  I saw a family of bluebirds in the bird bath yesterday, rare to see them so near the house.

I put my birdbath in the middle of my roses.  The roses love the brown water they get when I hose it out.  So glad Spring is here!

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:54 PM

Hi,

Sara, glad your daffodils are budding.  They're one of my favorite flowers - wish they lasted longer.   I noticed this late afternoon when I went out to get the Gator to check the girls that there were little purple flower pedals on the ground, outside and inside the yard.  When I got back I saw the wisteria was blooming.  Not down in the main shrub but way up in the Royal Empress tree.  Wish they were lower so I could see them better.  Thought at first it was the Royal Empress and there may be a few in bloom.  They re beginning to leaf out.

I cleared out that area in the pantry this afternoon.  Found things I didn't know I had - Swiffer refills from who knows when - not the handles, the other part, so they went into the trash.  Found gloves and masks and all kinds of brushes.  Now that small part of it is nice and clean and organized - enough for now - will save all of the other for later.

Doityourselfer - don't you love his music?  It is very relaxing.  Have you tried the Chinese Zen music - also very relaxing.  Either puts me right to sleep if I'm in bed and it's dark.  I think we need relaxing things right now.

Stuck in the Middle - sounds like you live about as far south as we do.  Our daffodils are gone and my peony is about a foot tall.  We don't have bluebirds or if we do I've never seen them.  Bet that was really cute watching them bathe.  I saw some after a big rain a few weeks ago taking a bath in a puddle of water.   Good use of the water for your roses.  Are your roses budding yet?  Mine aren't but they are fully leafed out.  I have a red knock-out rose north of the house where I sometimes have cows - they eat the buds like candy.

Got out this afternoon and drove down and saw the girls - all scattered out grazing.  I have the front door open and I see a few pass by now and then going south, then back north.  While I was out I leveled out the creepfeed and gave them an anaplas block.  Still have probably 150 lb. of creep in the feeder.   Really looks dark back in the NW so may get some rain and it will get colder.  Weatherman said it may be in the upper 30s tomorrow afternoon.  I emptied the rain gauge in case we get more rain and left the flag down.  

FedEx delivered the  the dry dogfood from Chewy this afternoon - didn't hear him at all.  Normally when I order or it's time for an auto ship it comes the next day - this time it took over a week and it comes from Hutchins, TX.  All of us went into the bedroom about 2 and watched TV - they slept and are sleeping now. 

Talked quite a while with Patsy this afternoon.  She said the people finished today - she said they did the kitchen and living room.  I asked about the three bedrooms and she said she told Jack to keep them out of there because she had too much stuff in there.  I was really surprised - thought they were going to do the whole house  What they had done was expensive but not if was for the whole house.   Not my business so I didn't say anything.

Hope all of you have a restful night - listen to Yanni or Chinese Zen music - that'll help.   Good night.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:50 PM

Hi again,

Just thought of something.  This afternoon when I let Stormy and Sheena outside, they ran to the boxes that were delivered (something new) and smelled of them.  I didn't think anything about it.   Later I was talking to Stormy about biting the metal hose and opened his mouth and felt his lower teeth to see if they were okay.  Just now Sheena came over and I kissed her on the nose (not the tip, farther back).  Then, I wondered whether they might have picked up germs from the boxes.  I should have sprayed them - I will from now on.  So, got a Clorox wipe, wiped my face good and my hands.  It's a shame that we're (well, I anyway) have gotten to the point that we question things we do, even in our own home when no one has been here.  Afraid of anything that comes in the mail or is delivered.  I wonder if dogs do carry the germs.   There's so much that we don't know about this stuff.

Judith, I was reading your post - glad to know those things and was concentrating on how long the germs live on surfaces.  I was going to read it again and it was gone. 

I doubt that anyone really knows too much about it.  Looks like they'd do tests on different surfaces to see how long the bug does live on them and let people know so we'd be informed about those things.  I've seen so many different opinions about this and that.  I doubt that the true incubation period is really known - I've heard different things about that, too.  No one really knows if or when boxes were touched with someone that might have been infected.  I saw a thing about Amazon on TV today and the people who were packing boxes were wearing gloves.  I imagine employees of all companies are doing the same.

Guess I better listen to Yanni or Zen music.

Doityourselfer
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 6:42 AM

Lorita, Every morning I tell Alexa to play healing music and Chinese Zen is part of those tunes.  It's a great way for me to start the day.  I love music!
Lorita
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 8:58 AM

My goodness, someone left the north gate open!   It's back to winter this morning.  Wind chill is 18 in OKC - not that cold here but it's cold enough.  I just came in from feeding Tom and Jerry and walked down far enough I could see the girls in the NE pasture.  Got my socks wet, at least the toes. 

Doityourselfer - what a great idea!  I  never have time to do that.  I have taken my temperature before I get up for over a year so do that, then get Mr. Barclee up so he can go to the bathroom, watch a little bit of weather and then up to check out the girls and get everyone fed.  It would be relaxing though.   It was actually 7:45 before I got up this morning.  I set the alarm for 5:55 so I could watch the Waltons - I'd seen it so turned it off and went back to sleep for a bit. I think I remember one of those times when I was awake I had an ocular migraine - not sure but I think I did.

I got a Clorox wipe this morning and wiped Stormy and Sheena's noses really well.  I don't think they knew what in the world was wrong with me but they didn't rebel.  They went out with me but Stormy's back inside, on the divan asleep.  Sheena's still out.  Got the cats fed and Lilly's back in bed with her babies.  In a few days I'll try to get them out of the box and get a picture of them. 

Hope all of you have a good Friday.  I think I could go back to bed and sleep a while longer - but I won't - maybe.  Just had a couple of pumpkin-spice muffins, warmed with a little butter and am finishing my OJ/CBJ - water's hot for my tea. 

Back later.

Stuck in the middle
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 9:15 AM

Lorita, I'm just north of Springfield, MO so I'm a ways north and a ways east of you.  So, my Spring is following yours by a week or two.  Our weather follows yours, too.  That cold wind you have is rolling right up I-44 and will be here by noon, so thanks for the warning.  I'll be sure to do what needs to be done outdoors this morning before it gets here.

The bluebird is the Missouri State bird and they are beautiful.  They don't live near houses, you have to put a bluebird house on a fence post or dead tree some distance out if you want to host them.  I don't get down to the woods as often as I used to, so seeing birds that avoid houses is a treat for me.  Some other birds like cardinals and blue jays and robins are just as pretty but I see them every day.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 12:11 PM

Hi,

Stuck in the Middle - you  must not be far from Rockaway Beach and Lake Taneycomo.  We went there the first time on a school trip and after that for many years my parents, niece and I spent the Labor Day Weekends there.  Beautiful place.  They had a big paddle boat - The Lake Queen, I think.  Lots of fun to ride on that.  It was a beautiful place.  And, you're probably not too far from Eureka Springs, Ark.   Another frequent destination for Charles and I.

I never see Blue Jays or Robins here.  We do have lots of Cardinals.  You must be in a wooded area, or closeby.  We're on the prairie and the only trees are in the fencerows, around houses or along creeks.  I've seen pictures of the farm when my parents moved here and there were hardly any trees.  We now have a lot that were planted and then others that came up voluntarily.

I was expecting canned catfood today from Amazon delivered by UPS.  I checked and their website said it was delivered this morning - left on an outside porch.  Not true.  So, called the local UPS office to see what was going on.  I was told there's a new driver in our area - but, he was here three or four days ago so he knew the address.  They're trying to contact him to find out what happened.  She told me how hard it is to find people to work and to do their job like they should.  I've had so much trouble with UPS drivers leaving things at our mailbox which is a quarter mile from our house.  Finally got that resolved and the last driver was bringing things to the porch.  So frustrating.  Anyone could pick up packages left at the mailbox.

I tried to call either Chewy or Amazon this morning and they aren't answering phone calls.  The other one I called yesterday and was on hold 45 minutes with no reply. 

Haven't talked to Sarah or Patsy today.  I need to check with Carol to see if her daughter and SIL were able to get back from Mexico.  They were supposed to come home Tuesday but flight was delayed until Wednesday. 

Hope all of you are well this morning.  It's really cold here and drizzly so not a pleasant day.  May have to turn on the heat this afternoon.  Supposed to be in the 80s next week.  Typical springtime in Oklahoma and this area.

toni2
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 12:16 PM

Hi Lorita. I haven't been on the computer much. I was in the hospital 1 week. It was my heart. I had a heart cath done March 2 and the doctor told my family I had a very large blockage in the right side of my heart. He put in a stent. I am very lucky I didn't have a heart attack when I was lifting Ken all the time. I knew there was something wrong and I knew what it was but I couldn't take care of him and have the cath done. I am just now able to do some things. I'm now on a blood thinner for a year. 

I loved to hear about your little ones. We always had babies around. They seem to make you feel better no matter what is happening.

Take care everyone. Try to stay safe. I'm in for the rest of the time.

Toni

Lorita
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 1:46 PM

Hi Toni,

So happy to see your post.  I've been wondering about you.  So sorry to hear about your heart blockage but glad they found it before you did have a heart attack.  Glad you're home and better now.   I hope things are better for you now.  Take good care of yourself and stay in like all of us are doing.  We'll get through this and things will get back to normal. 

I just came back from the mailbox.  Hadn't seen the girls this morning because they were off grazing.  They're all down in one area of the pasture and I saw the five little ones very close together.  As you know, they're like little kids - wanting to be with others.  The girls look okay - still watching the two oldest ones but both were up and grazing.  It's cold out there.  I was going to go in the PU but it wouldn't start and I didn't want to fool with having to jump it while it's so cold so drove the Gator.  I've really  made use of that this winter and will hate to see it go when they take it home. Still  need to get the CW fixed but not until all of this stuff is over.

I found the catfood.  Sure enough, the new guy (who has been here before so no excuse about not knowing where to leave things) had put the catfood in a plastic bag, tied it and walked up to the end of the open gate and left it, then walked back to his truck.  Took longer to do all of that than drive up to the house and put it on the porch.  Really irritates me.  I called UPS and told them I'd found it and to be sure to tell the guy to bring the packages to the porch.  Our previous driver did that so will have to retrain another one.

Sorry for being so irritable - just bothers me that people don't want to do their jobs the right way and want to take short cuts which puts other people out.

I'll be glad when things are back to normal.  Having to be so careful not to bring something into your home from the mail or deliveries is a hassle but has to be done.  Caught the GPs thinking about smelling those two boxes of dog food - I'd sprayed them so it was okay.  They're just curious.

Going to find something to eat, then lay down and either watch TV or take a nap.  The weatherman said it was 40 degrees colder here today than it was yesterday - even had a little bit of freezing drizzle north of here.  I think it's too early for blackberries to be blooming so will have to expect another cold snap about that time.

Back later.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 3:55 PM

I think you have to spray and wipe to get through the membrane to kill the germ. That is why they say washing is better than sanitizing...more rubbing.
Lorita
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 10:32 PM

Sara, haven't seen your post today.  Is everything okay?
Sayra
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 10:24 AM

I’m good Lorita.  This disease keeps me busy lol.  I ordered some sterlite storage containers to put my seed starts in .  They sat in garage 4.5 days and today I bleached them all down.  may Not be necessary but don’t feel it is worth the risk.
Lorita
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 10:50 AM

Morning,

It's cold (30s), cloudy and windy here this morning.  I think the girls stayed in the barn last night.  I woke up at 5 to watch the Great British Baking Show but went back to sleep and woke up just before 7:30.  By that time the girls were out of the barn and starting off to graze.  When I went out to feed Tom and Jerry I checked the barn and there was one cow and calf in there - the calf was having breakfast.

Sara - so glad to see your post - I was getting worried because you always post every day. I see why Sandy worries when I don't post every day now. About your planting containers -   I don't think anything we do is overkill now.  Good that it makes you feel better and safer. 

Yesterday I left the cases of catfood that UPS left at the gate by our front gate.  So, this morning I rolled it to the porch, cut off the plastic bag, opened the box and put the cases of food on the porch.  I'll let them stay there a few days.  I have boxes on the porch that have been there since Tuesday.  When I came in I washed my hands really well and wiped down the doorknobs.  I guess Mother Nature is showing us who's boss.  We had gotten so complacent about things and being able to do whatever we wanted so she's showing us who's boss.  This is probably some bug that had laid dormant for who knows how long and something that was done brought it to surface again.

Patsy called this morning.  She sounded good.  They lost a patient late yesterday - not sure of the reason yet since they haven't talked about it.  She still has thrush and is taking medicine for it - says it tastes awful.  She said she saw on TV that all the Hobby Lobby stores were closing for a while.  I saw something about WM - limiting people inside to five (not sure of that number).  People have to line up outside and when one person comes out, another can go in. 

I'm still having hurting, dull ache, in my left lower side and up over my hipbone and into my lower ribcage.  Not sure if it's a muscle pull or another bout of diverticulitis.  I don't have other symptoms of diverticulitis - and it doesn't hurt all the time.  The only thing I could have eaten that might have caused it was one of those packets of rice and broccoli.  I think I had that three days in a row, one meal each day.  The rice was well cooked so can't see how that would have caused it.  Never did know what caused the bout of it I had last August unless it as couscous.  If it continues I'll call the Pharmacy Monday and see if they'll refill the Flagyl without me going to or calling the doctor.  I don't even know if his office is open.  In August he was on vacation and I went to Urgent Care - maybe I'll try that first if it isn't better.

Patsy said Jack goes to town every day - yesterday he spent three hours in town - went to store, Caseys for gas, the bank and a couple of other places.  He says people are still in town.  Wish he wouldn't do that but guess he's so lonesome he just has to get out among people.

I hope all of you are all right this morning and staying put.  If you think about that phrase it sounds odd but that's what we say here in Oklahoma.  The other day when the mailcarrier brought the dogfood up she asked how I was and I told her I was staying put.  Do you all use that phrase?

I've fed everyone except Stormy and Sheena - both of them are asleep.  They stayed in last night until 2:30 - so got up and let them outside.  Guess they heard a wolf and had to go see what was going on.

I'll be back later.  Watching Aerial America again.  You know, it just may be that I'm not outside quite as much so don't hear them - but I don't think I'm hearing as many airplanes as before.  Mostly we hear helicopters going from OKC to Davis Field, south of Muskogee.  I heard one last week.  Have you all noticed this?

BethL
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 12:33 PM

Lorita, Here in IA we do say "stay put," and also say that we are "hunkering down."
Stuck in the middle
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 1:18 PM

Saw a thing on TV on how to build a planter out of a pallet.  You take gardener's cloth and staple it over one side, flip it over, and fill it with soil.  With a wide base like that, the wind wouldn't blow it over like it does a clay pot.  You could even screw casters to it and roll it in and out of the garage to beat a late frost.  I probably won't do it this year - I can't even get out to buy bedding plants - but next year for sure.  Rolling salad garden.

Most of you already have gardens, but I live on the end of a rocky ridge and the ground is too poor to raise an umbrella unless you make a raised bed and haul soil to it.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 1:25 PM

Beth, isn't it funny how different parts of the Country have different ways of saying the same thing.  When Charles and I got married, I'd say something like "over yonder" or "down yonder".  He didn't know what I  meant.  He was raised in town in this area so maybe it's a country thing.

How's your weather today?   It's cold as kraut (there's another one) here today - still cloudy and windy.  This will probably be the last cold snap we have until the blackberries bloom - always gets cold about that time.

Lilly has taken all of her kittens out of their bed and put them in a smaller place between the vanity and wall in the bathroom, a space about 14 x 6".  She kept getting them out so I finally gave up.  They can't get out of that area so guess it's all right.

Everyone else is asleep except Barclee and I - we're eating crackers.  He seems to love them and I know I do.  I think I've gotten into the habit of an afternoon nap so will probably take one a little bit later.  I've rubbed my side and lower ribs with Theragesic a couple of times so will keep doing that.  Don't know what's aggravating the muscle pull except maybe lifting Barclee - he's a little chunk - about 20 pounds.

Have you all ever watched "The Zoo"? Very entertaining show about the big zoos, mostly in the east and northeast.  It's amazing how many animals they have and how well they take care of them.  There's a big zoo in Tulsa we've visited a few times - don't know if it's as large as these or not.

Enjoy the rest of our Saturday.  Time's going fast - already April 4.  Tomorrow is Charles' 88th birthday.  Hard to believe he would be that old.  His brother will be 89 in June so they were close together in age.  My sister is 9 yr. and 5 months older than I - she's 88 now.  How did we get this old?  I can remember being five.  We moved to McAlester that year.  I didn't feel good and mother thought a little bit of coffee would make me feel better - but, since we were packed up ready to leave, she made a mistake and put salt in the coffee instead of sugar - didn't make me feel better at all.  Also remember that I rode (laid down) in the back window of the car.  Don't think I could get in there now.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 2:12 PM

I just watched the episode about the Bronx Zoo on Zoo. Fascinating. The mating of the tigers and the arrival of the crested porcupines..animals I have never heard of too. 

There is an abundance of education TV at our finger tips...stuff I never knew about.

It is cold!!! great weather to enjoy inside.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 3:27 PM

Hi,

Judith, we must have had a different episode over here - didn't see the crested porcupines - or maybe I was in a different room.  Anyway, you're right - there's lots of good stuff to watch.

I just watched a video about how to make homemade saltine crackers.  I had wondered about that.  Looks really easy - just flour, salt, shortening and water - mix, roll out, cut and bake.   Those were plain ones but I bet you could add the packet of dry cheese that comes in macaroni and cheese and you'd have cheese crackers - just add a little more water.  Or, maybe there's a video about making cheese crackers.

At any rate,  I've just switched over to The Incredible Dr. Pol.  I enjoy him.  I've told Mike he should have a show like Dr. Pol.  I asked him once if he had ever watched it - he hasn't.

It is cold - I've had the stove on in the LR all day and the electric heater in the bathroom.  Lilly took all of her six babies out of their bed and put them on the floor.  I thought they might be too warm so turned off the stove.  We'll see what she does now.

Hope none of you all have set out tomato plants yet - or eggplants.  We did that once and the eggplant plants got smaller and smaller because it was too cold. 

Back to see what Dr. Pol's doing now.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 3:37 PM

It has been my experience (1 litter kittens, 1 litter puppies) that the mother wants to have her babies in an enclosed area where they can not get out of and she kind of thinks you can not get into.

I watched Dr Pol once....way too much reality for me.

Brilliant idea for the cheese crackers!

ladyzetta
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 5:32 PM

Hi All,

I hope your all doing well and staying put.   As for me I am not used to staying home I always find places I need to go. I have been in now for 11 days and I am really liking it. But I will need to go to the store soon I am running out of stuff. Its real interesting of what a person can find to put together for a meal. I just had some Hash & Eggs, my Grandma fixed that a lot when we were kids. I had a can of hash i found when Dan was alive he really liked hash.

Sounds like every ones weather is being strange. I got snow today I live in Central Oregon and snow is not uncommon this time of year but it is surprising now because our winter was so mild. 

Lorita,   I sure hope they dont limit WM to 5 people. I heard Target limited to 100 that makes more sense. I do hope WM has some sort of a limit I will go sometime next week I was told they have a time for Seniors so I will go that time.      When i was a kid I also would ride in the back window of the car or i would lay on the floor. I got car sick so many times laying down was about the only thing I could do to not get sick.I could not lay on the seat unless my sisters stayed home.       I have never watch The Zoo, but i am watching it right now I am also watching it in The Bronx Zoo. Its a real cute show I will start watching it. I am so afraid to watch any type of animal show i dont want to see any one getting hurt or having each other for meals.

Take care all of you. Hugs Zetta 

× Close Menu