Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Neuro Update
younghope1
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2012 7:42 AM

I had my neurologist follow up from all my testing that was done on Monday. And I indeed had a TIA or mini stroke and he showed me the blood clot that is now on the left side of my brain. He said that I should be in a wheel chair and not sitting there talking to him. Thankfully, my neuro is a christian man and believes in the power of prayer. He said it could have only been devine intervention that day at church that saved me from a major stroke. I told him that I set there in the pew and cried and prayed as i knew something was wrong but wasn't sure what. He told me that my prayers had been answered. He told me the next time that I have those sensations to not even call an ambulance as it takes them too long to get to your home, assess you and load you up, meaning precious time is being wasted, but to call a neighbor and head straight to the ER as fast as I we could as they have medication called TPA which is a clot buster and they have a 3 hour window in which they can give that to save you fromo having any brain damage. I was a very lucky person. He started me 325 mg of enteric coated aspirin and may be adding an anti-coagulant as well. He took me off of my migraine medicine Imitrex as he said that it increased the risk of strokes as well as the other migraine meds, so I am not looking forward to the next one of those that I have. Told me no more fried foods, need to start walking, etc.

Tracy

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2012 10:09 AM

Tracy,

Thank you so much for keeping us informed. And please let your local friends and church people know what's happening. it sounds as though your doctor is good.

Lisa428
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 12:38 AM

Tracy,

So sorrry to hear what happened to you.  Did he dissolve the boldclot on your brain?

Tracy, please do what he says about calling a neighbor or a church friend.

Hang in there.  Take care of yourself.  Please, let your local AD Assn family know what is goin on with you.

I will keep you and Austin in my thoughts and prayers.

Please, keep us updated.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:15 AM

It's good that you belong to a praying church, Tracy.  You're fortunate that you had no complications from this TIA.  TIAs can signal the coming of a full stroke, so you must pay attention to this warning.   

How will you make arrangements to get to the hospital if this re-occurs?  Do you have the  neighbor that your doctor recommended you call?  How far are you from the hospital? 

Iris L. 

younghope1
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 7:36 AM

Hi Iris, I am 45 minutes from the hospital if you are heavy on the pedal. Yes, I have church friends that have been taking me to doctors the last couple of weeks that just live about 4 minutes away. I started walking yesterday and am trying to do what my Neuro told me. I don't want this to happen again.

Tracy

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 7:45 PM

Great Tracy, One day at a time.

How's your son doing with the driving?

Geegee
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 11:01 AM

Hi Tracy,

I'm so glad that you have an action plan.  Is heavy traffic time a problem in

your area?  If so, calculate that in our total drive time.  Make sure your friends are available at a given notice.

How wonderful you have your church and your faith.  How is Austin handling all of this?  It must be really hard for him. 

Maybe you will consider a couple of practice drives to the hospital for Austin

so he can become familiar with the route in case of an emergency IF he is the only one available--worst case scenario, of course.  

Just take care of yourself like you're doing!

× Close Menu