Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Neither here nor there...
Willow
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:39 PM

Hi dear friends,

I'm still waiting for my memory test at the clinic which won't be until late summer now.  I don't really mind since so many of you have had to wait several years before they said something is actually wrong.  The thing is that I can feel so normal and then other times I'm stumbling over words.  It's odd...  I seem to feel between normal and something being not quite right.

I'm getting comfortable telling people I have a memory problem and they're pretty good about it as long as I don't give it a label.

When I went to see my counselor and gave her my documentation she could see that something was off but she also wondered if I'm so focused on something being wrong that I was being hypervigilant and putting down things that might be normal for me.  So now I'm just documenting the big things and not every little thing.  I don't want to get so wrapped up in something being 'wrong' with me that it takes over my life.  I was at the point where every little thing would give me a shot of adrenaline and discouragement following.

I've been reading the boards regularly just not having much to say.

Many thanks for all your caring!     

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:55 PM

Hi, Willow. I think it's great that you are monitoring yourself. I keep a daily log, too. I live alone and I use it to keep track on how I'm doing. 
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:13 PM

Dear Willow, Welcome back. 

I too suffered from and complained of memory problems for many years before I was diagnosed as cognitive impairment nos, not otherwise specified.  

I've been on the memory medications for almost three years.  I have also been discovered to have sleep apnea, and iron deficiency, which I recently received proof as a cause of memory deficiency in adults. I also have low thyroid and hypertension, elevated cholesterol and diabetes, which are all risk factors in dementia. I also suffered from depression and anxiety. 

My point in telling you this is that there are many possible causes of the memory lapses you are experiencing.  Since you are seeing a counselor you already have a mental health diagnosis.  Symptoms of depression and dementia overlap to some degree.  Work with your doctors to seek out and resolve any possible medical problems that might be contributing to your memory problems.   

The other thing you must realize is how much anxiety interferes with memory.  You MUST learn stress reduction techniques to help yourself.  Then when you go for your testing in the late summer (so far away) you will have more certainty about what you are dealing with. 

Keep reading the boards and post often.  We want to hear from you. 

Iris L. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:52 PM

I, too, often just say I have a problem with my memory. it works fine for casual happenings.

To me, my memory is like Swiss cheese. You never know where you will come up with a hole. 

frustrated047
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:19 PM

Mimi S. wrote:

To me, my memory is like Swiss cheese. You never know where you will come up with a hole.  

What an absolute great way to describe these memory problems!   

Willow, I guess I belong in the Early Onset group but hope it's okay to be here too.  Some of what your going through sounds really familiar to me.  Please take care and absolutely hang in there! 

Lisa428
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 3:40 PM

Willow,

I'm so glad you've found us.

It makes me furious that people like you are still waiting several months to get neuropsychological testing!!!!

We will have to take this to the Obama Administration.

Please, hang in there and keep posting.  We're here.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

× Close Menu