Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
"You're Looking At Me Like I Live Here and I Don't"
Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:37 AM

Trying to find out if this will be shown on WNET NYC. Anyone know?
Lisa428
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:38 AM

Sorry Mimi,

I don't know.  It did play on WYES PBS channel last night.

It was pretty good but confusing to watch.  This lady lived in an Assisted Living place.  She was pretty far gone in her thought processes yet was still able to walk around, dance and do a little singing. 

I was unable to follow her speech or thought patterns at all.

Yet, sometimes, she could say hello and thank you.  She could be nice and mean.  She could show some form of happiness and some saddness.

I'm really not sure what I got from watching this except a grim glimpse of the future.

Perhaps it's on line somewhere?

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:07 PM

Mimi, this documentary aired last Thursday 3/29/12 on WNET.  I don't know if it will air again.

http://watch.thirteen.org/video/2186316665 

Program: Independent Lens

Episode: For Lee Gorewitz, Living With Alzheimer's is an Odyssey

Lee Gorewitz lives in a care facility for Alzheimer's patients, but she is not simply waiting to die. She is full of curiosity and frustration, struggling to remember herself and make sense of a world that is falling away from her.

Duration: (1:45)
Premiere Date: 03/29/2012
Episode Expires: Never
TV Rating: TV-PG

Here is a website for the documentary itself, in case you want to order it.

http://yourelookingatme.com/ 

Iris L.

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:08 PM

Yes, Lisa. I came away depressed after watching it. Artistically, I think the filmmaker was trying to give the "feeling" of what it's like to have AD, in addition to documenting what was happening to her. There were times it made me smile, and other times when it brought tears to my eyes. I was most distressed by the persons who just sat and stared. I don't want to go there!
Lisa428
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 11:16 PM

Myriam,

Please don't stay depressed.  Forget about it.  We're here NOW.  Hopefully, we will stay here for a long time (early stage).

Get busy enjoying your life again! lol

I can't wait to see my granddaughter again in mid May!!

How are YOU doing and feeling?

Peace and hope,

Lisa

Myriam
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:45 AM

Thank you, Lisa. :) happy
Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:52 AM

When my aunt was in the late stages of Alzheimer's disease, I went to visit her several times in the nursing home.  It was hard enough to see my aunt--a once brilliant art historian and art appraiser--in her condition, but to see so many other people in her condition or worse depressed me to no end.  I said to myself, I am not going to allow my mother's life to end that way.  I became obsessed with understanding this disease and trying to find a way to at least slow it down.  My mother's grasp on what we would call reality is still not great, she still sometimes "rambles", and she is not always lucid, but she smiles much of the time, rarely complains except when she gets tired, and calls the members of her family who she sees as her best friends sweethearts.  I would love to have my mother of eight years ago back, but that will not happen.  But it makes me happy to know that my mother has some degree of awareness and contentment in her life. 

I didn't see the film as it hasn't shown in our area yet, but Myriam you (and others) are doing everything right and no one anymore should come to near the end of their life with a blank stare and no quality of life because of this disease.   

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 9:47 AM

OK, Now I understand why I couldn't find it on the NYC station and after many tries found it at 1PM today on my local PBS station.

Now I'm not sure all the people in my Early Stage group should see it . Well one of them has very little short term memor. I hope she forgets to watch it.

And yes, Myriam, you got exactly what the film maker was striving for, as far as I've read.

The problem for us ADers is we are more apt to understand things in black and white.

In theory, we know where we are headed, but prefer not to think about it.

As Lisa says, we want to live in the here and now.  

We need more publicity on the fact that many of us have lived for years with the diagnosis and are leading good lives. Certainly, as Iris knows, not to the extent of our former lives, but as Lisa knows, with a lot to look forward to.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:30 PM

Independent Lens will be showing this program tonight in my area on channel 50, SoCal PBS in the Los Angeles-Orange County area.  The time is 11 pm.    

Check your area for local time.  http://www.itvs.org/television?film=youre-looking-at-me 

There is another program "Alzheimer's Disease Facing the Fact" immediately afterward. 

Iris L. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 4:22 PM

Well, my brain turned 1 PM into 2 PM, so I missed it.
Geegee
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:42 PM

We have to remind each other that today is what is important!  We must live it to the fullest!

I previously had the Lee Gorewitz documentary scheduled to record this Wed.  Now, after reading my fellow ADers' reviews and reactions, I wonder if I should watch it.

Mimi, I love your Factual & educational approach to every subject! )  I guess I should expect that from your knowledgeable background.

SO...what is the verdict.  Do the rest of us watch it?  Iris, you will be seeing it tonight, so I'll be anxious to hear your reaction.  

At least we will be going into viewing it with the awareness that Lisa, Myriam, and Mimi gave.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 2:37 AM

I'm watching the program right now.  Lee, the lady in program, is ambulatory and makes sentences but it's basically rambling..  She wanders around her nursing home.  The rest of the residents are in wheelchairs or sedentary in chairs.  Lee is well dressed, wears make-up, and had her hair done in the beauty salon. She wanders around and tries to exit but the doors are locked or alarmed.  The caregiver catches and redirects her several times.  She goes with her willingly. 

This is the story of a patient who needs constant supervision.  My question is, why was she not involved in a regular schedule of activities besides wandering around?  There was a brief singing program for the sedentary patients.  Lee was off to the side, not involved.   

Lee was safe and well cared for.  Like one of the goldfish in the aquarium.  Maybe if she had someting to occupy her time she would not wander so much.   

Now I'm watching Alzheimer's Disease  Facing the Facts.  I like this program better.  It's more generalized and talks about the research behind the search for a cure.   

It talks about being more aggressive is doing research for a cure.  It says the growth of AD in the baby boomer population will be a social catastrophe for our nation. 

Iris L. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 8:12 AM

I wish the producer would do a follow up at a better place.
My choice of a future residence is in Denver. When I was there last winter I spent several hours there, just visiting in both the locked unit and the Assisted Living Unit. 
Even the locked unit has six activities a day. The patients are all well groomed. A minority were in wheel chairs and a few used walkers of varying types. Most were mobile.
 This place has a yearly theme that involves different activites on one topic each month. When I was there, the patients in the locked unit were having a LECTURE on China. There were lots of artifacts to pass around and a little Chinese food to sample. Maybe one patient more or less dozed through it and another left more than half way through. Most of them certainly were paying attention. Who cared if they remembered nothing the next day. For the moment they were engaged.
When that was over, the staff was gathering the patients for an outdoor stroll, reminding a few where their sweaters were and another few to use the bathroom. 
At this point I moved on to the Assisted Living. It was getting late in the afternoon and residents were gathering for cocktail hour. Some had visitors arrive and either left with them or the visitors stayed. Most were mobile and well groomed. I had conversations with a few. Some were more willing to speak with a stranger than others. Cocktails were passed out. Each person was served individually. Some had wine glasses, others plastic. Some had the real stuff, for others it was watered down. Some had juice and for others even that was watered down. One woman spilled her drink, the clean up was handled unobtrusively. A sing a-long was held and just about all the residents participated by singing, moving their bodies in rhythm with the music.
How about following someone in that place for a day. Then reshow the one you watched, followed by the one I suggest. 

Geegee
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 10:43 AM

Mimi, let's put our heads together and see how we can make that happen.  Also, we need to show how those of us using Best Practices and medications are able to function for several years beyond what they anticipate.  WE are excited about everyday that we can have hope and plan for our future.

Thanks, Mimi!

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 1:29 PM

Thanks, Iris for the show information.  It showed here at midnight last night, but I fell asleep before it aired.  Hopefully, they will reshow it. 

I called different congressional staff members today to make them aware of some care facilities that provided a good quality of life and treatment for their patients (exercise, aromatherapy, pet therapy, music therapy, light therapy, puzzles, etc.).  I was able to talk to one staff member directly; he showed some interest and appeared to be writing down the information that I gave him.  

I have posted information about these facilities and studies elsewhere, but I thought it might be useful to repost them here. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKN3DGxl06o 

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/clearing-the-fog-in-nursing-homes/ 

http://www.potomacgrouphomes.com/program-aromatherapy.html 

http://scienceline.org/2011/03/lavender-and-old-lace/ 

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:0B_2N-zrqCEJ:aspe.hhs.gov/daltcp/napa/Comments/cmtach11.pdf+ecu+therapist+studies+links+between&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjoRRCcNWxWXhyERHx4-1j5F6f4StO4oID1iwp7lCIKXRKvg9BPHnhqzej9JNJ-_XnxWNm_1qkwrWeR3giD2y4SzROuyyiLZPExPfRlp62GGvA5U9hNhTOtwlFwISfJ1UnjuZti&sig=AHIEtbSWVg0AWrbKGLlI-CdL0mUmmLe8rg 

http://www.scentsiblesolutions.com/html/texasstate.html 

There is a definite need to follow up on these studies, either by outside researchers of by documentary filmmakers. If you have any connections and feel comfortable using them, please give them this information. 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 5:48 PM

Mimi, your place sounds great.  It should be the model for dementia and senior care in the future.  The program, to put it bluntly, in my opinion, showed ADLOs being WAREHOUSED.  This does not have to be! 

Lane, I'm going to look at your links later and get back to you. 

Iris L. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:11 AM

Enjoy your birthday tomorrow, Iris!  Then you can get back to work on these boards.   
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 1:19 AM

Thank you so much, Lane!  I'm expecting a great day!:D big grin  

Iris L. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:33 PM

Iris,

Happy Birthday. 
I hope you do something special.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:27 PM

Thank you, Mimi!  I've had a great day!