Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Depressed
Willow
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:00 AM

I had another incident the other day that has left me so depressed.  I've felt really normal for awhile and haven't had anything outstanding happen then I did errands the other day and knew I had a $20 bill a $5 and some $1's.  So I go to pick up my supplements and it costs $16. 

Then I go to the pharmacy and pick up a few items needed and it comes to $24 and change.  And I'm looking in my wallet for the $20 and can't figure out what happened to it.  So instead of making a scene and freaking out I use my check card.  But I knew I shouldn't because I had money in there just to pay the bills.  I was so confused!

I then went to Staples because I have a rewards card and had a credit on a card they gave me.  So I went to pick up some pens and hi-liters which came to $7 but I had $15 on the card so I knew it wasn't a problem.  I get to the counter and give her my card which she swipes then she tells me the amount. 

So I'm waiting for her then I realize she's waiting for me and she tells me to swipe the card and she gives it back.  So I try swiping it but I don't see the black strip on the back and she tells me that's my Staples Rewards card.  And I say yes, I have $15 credit on it.  After some discussion I realize that's the wrong card and I swore I had it in my wallet so I emptied everything out on the counter and couldn't find it. 

So I ended up paying with the $5 and $1's I still had in my wallet and was totally confused.  When I got home I looked for the card on the computer desk and several other places it might be but it wasn't.  I looked in my wallet again and found it.

I cried and have been depressed ever since...

How can I be so sharp in some ways then these things happen?!

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:17 AM

Willow,

Take a deep breath!!!

It happens. It's the disease. So try just shrugging your shoulders.

And then look back. It was missing $20 that got you upset. Eventually you realized that you had spent it. Until you figured that out, your worry escalated. MY AD is getting worse! What am I going to do?  And on and on.

Swanton VT must be a beautiful place. I hope the sun is shining. Dress appropriately and take a walk. What's to see? Our forsythia is still gorgeous as are the daffodils. I have a few violets. 

Take a sketch pad if it isn't too windy. Try to sketch something. Who cares what it looks like; it's just for you.

Then.  Figure out what will calm you down next time you get upset? The help line is an idea: 1-800-252-0266. You can talk about the incident to someone with a sympathetic ear.

And writing about it here was a good idea.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:01 PM

Willow, that happens to me all the time.  I used to know how much money was in my wallet.  Now I don't.  I have learned to WRITE DOWN my to do list, gather any coupons I need, check my cash and cards, and go.  When I get home I write down what I did when I was out--marketing, post office, bank, drug store, etc.  Otherwise, as soon as I return home, I forget. 

I've bought things home and then forgotten them in the trunk of the car.  I left a package of frozen shrimp in the trunk overnight once.  Of course it was no good when I discovered it.   

This morning I used four packets of sweetener in my oatmeal instead of my usual two packets, because as soon as I prepared the oatmeal, I forgot--about 15-20 seconds.  After I added two more packets I saw the original two packets discarded in the trash.   

We have to learn to give ourselves a break and move on.  We have to slow down, and learn to use cues for ourselves that works for us.   

We have to learn to rejoice that we can still take care of ourselves and run our own errands.  We just have to be more cautious and creative about getting them done. 

Being taught how to live independently with a memory disorder is one of the purposes of cognitive rehabilitation therapy.  Unfortunately EOAD patients rarely get this treatment. 

Perhaps this could be discussed at the upcoming convention in Washington, D.C.   

Iris L. 

Myriam
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:13 PM

Well said, Iris.
Willow
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 6:17 AM

Thank you so much to both of you!  I seem to be still in an early stage where I'm not sure if anything is actually 'wrong' or not.  I seem to know there is but am great at denial evidently.

Thanks so much for your loving support!  

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 9:22 AM

Willow,

OH yes. My gut says it's true. That's why I went for a diagnpsis. But I sure would prefer some other diagnosis.

I'm in the process of reading I'm Still Alice by Lisa Genova for the second time. Your library might have it or can order it. 

Warnings.

Keep the tissues handy.

Some, especially those with Early Onset find that the story hits too close to home. If this happens to you, don't read further.

A friend of mine, also in Early Stager, just finished reading it. Her husband said he hadn't heard her laugh like that in ages When I asked her, she was laughing at the things that were also happening to her.

Geegee
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:46 PM

Willow, we all do things that are like your experience with your money and card.

For a laugh:

My big dog gets the worst of it.  He sometimes gets the little dogs pills in addition to his own!!  I just lose track.  ???? Oops

Then... I have been also known to even  take my big dog's pills  just because they are in my hand.  LOL!  I promptly call my pharmacist who assures me I will be okay...no interaction!  YET!

Laugh for today!

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:52 PM

Arf!  Arf!  Are you barking yet? 

Iris L. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:34 AM

Gee-gee,

What are doing to make sure you don't do it again?

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:45 PM

All kidding aside, Geegee, Mimi is right.   

What is your plan for taking your own medication correctly and not the dog's meds?   

Do you use a pillbox? 

Iris L. 

baldwidow
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:32 PM

This sounded so familiar, I copied it off to show to my daughter.   I want to know if she thinks it is familiar.  

OTOH, as a cashier, I can reassure you that we get people sliding the wrong cards all the time.   I've even joked about taking student ID's, Drivers license, library cards, etc.

Lillysnanna
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2012 10:51 PM

i took my mom out to dinner tonight, and when it came time to add the tip to thel bill I had no problem calculating the 20% tip, but I couldn't add the two together.  And I'm an accountant.  It was a little scary to say the least.
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, May 6, 2012 8:17 AM

Hi Lilly,

When you take your mom to a public place, you are under stress. So, if this is an isolated experience, forget it.

If a pattern seems to be emerging, keep a notebook. 

Get yourself to the best diagnostic place that you can. 

It could be just stress, it could be several other easily cured things. But do get it checked out.

Lisa428
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:36 PM

Willow,

How are you feeling these days?  Please, post to let us know.

Thinking of you.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

× Close Menu