Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
ADVICE TO ALL NEWBIES
Nora
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:54 PM

There are so many of us on the message boards, and I believe some new members have posted questions without response. Most likely this happened to you because you did not initiate a new topic, but entered your query as part of a reply on someone else's thread. In order to be sure we can reach out to you, please do POST NEW TOPIC and label it something like "question from newbie about ..." so we can jump right in with you.

God bless you all - and welcome to the boards. We are all here to help one another, to listen to the vents and reflect back with compassion and caring. No one has all the answers, but everyone can share your burden.
Geegee
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:44 PM

Thank you Nora!  A reminder like this is needed every once in a while.  We HAVE had a lot of newbies.  Welcome to all of you if I have not welcomed you personally

on another thread.  It is my intention to personally welcome everyone when they join.  There have been so many recently, and  I may not be online for a couple of day.,

Then,  I am LOST!    My memory is impaired like everyone elses here. :0

Also, it helps  those of us who may have "processing" difficulties when we read typewritten notes, if it is double spaced every couple of lines or so. 

It makes it easier to follow.  Try not to make really long paragraphs. 

Hopefully your computer will allow you to hit the "enter" key twice and provide a doupble space. 

Welcome and know that we want to be there for you.Start a "new topic" anytime so we can give you the attention you need.

Happy posting 

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:52 PM

Members give good advice, better than many professionals' advice.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:42 PM

how do you know when to start a new one and who who be interested
Geegee
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:29 AM

mish, that's a good question and actually an example of a topic you could use.  Anytime you post a reply under someones topic, your reply is only seen by anyone that decides to read that original title (ex. "Advice to all Newbies").

Your question will then have a limited amount of attention.  If you don't get the kind of responses that help you enough, you could start a discussion topic that "asks" that question: "When to start a new topic and who's interested".

Someone reads a discussion like "Advice to all Newbies" if it pertains to them,  when they want to know more about a particular topic, or if they want to offer their viewpoint on a question, etc.

So, I hope that helps!   

Patty-Cake
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:41 AM

Hi, I am new to the message board.  My mom has moderate dementia.  She goes to Adult Day Care five days a week.  So, she gets her lunches at Day Care.  I try to have ready made meals for her to warm up in the microwave.  She doesn't eat as much as she used to.  Her appetite has decline.  I would like to have tips on what would be more healthy meals to cook for her.  I have making microwaveable processed foods.  Any suggestions on what meals that I could cook that is more healthy for her?

Patty-Cake

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:02 AM

mish wrote:
how do you know when to start a new one and who who be interested

Start a new topic whenever you feel like starting a new topic, mish.  Many people will read.  It's a toss-up how many will respond. 

Some topics seem to stike a chord, and there will be many reponses for some time.  Other topics seem to get many browsers, but the topic may not seem to call for a response.  It all depends on what you post.

Don't hesitate to post a new topic.

Iris L.

Geegee
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:17 PM

Patty.Cake, welcome to the Messageboards,  We are glad you found our site.  There is a Caregivers ;Forum that has members to help you with solutions for meals,  support, etc.  

You are also welcome in the Dementia patent's forum to get advice from us.

Queens artist
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 5:16 AM

I am newly diagnosed and I need tips on how to deal with diagnose thanks
Geegee
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 10:10 AM

Queens Artist, I want to welcome you to our forum but Im so sorry to hear about your diagnosis!  We can understand many concerns you face because there are many of us here that also live with a dementia DX or MCI.  

I hope you will start a new discussion of your own.  That way you can tell us about yourself or ask a question and get more replies.  At this time you are at the bottom of an old thread.  This is a thread we do look for Newbies to come to.    So hopefully other members will see your post.

Still, its helpful to start your own.  Just, Go to the top of this page and select "start a new discussion".  

Have you contacted the Alzheimer's Association chapter in your area?  They may have a support group in your area for early stage.  It's hard when you are first diagnosed (DX).  You may experience fear, worry, depression, anger or any other emotion.  

But you are taking the best first step by coming here.  You are wanting to learn about what's going on, why, and how to cope.  It's important not to give up hope!  Research is ongoing and new discoveries are constantly on the horizon for us.

Try to find a positive outlook and focus on what's good in your life.  Live each day!  My original signature line was to remind others to "look for the sunshine in your day!"  I try to find something wonderful or hopeful and positive every day.

Are you on any medication?  How were you DXd?  

Anxious to hear more from you.  You will get more good advice from other members. 

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 10:24 AM

Welcome to our online support group, Queens artist.  Are you in Queens?  I used to live in Queens.  I'm glad you found us but I'm sorry for the reason you found us, 

Please take Geegee's advice and begin your own thread.  We want to get to know you!  What exactly is your diagnosis?  Are you on medication?  Are you still working?  There is much advice and support we can give you when we have more information.

Even with a diagnosis you can still live your life.  What do you like to do?  Please let us know.

If you call the 24 hour Helpline at 1-800-272-3900 they can supply you with a packet of useful information for the newly diagnosed and help you find your local support group and other resources in your area.

Hoping to hear back from you soon.

Iris L.

× Close Menu