Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Here a Pee, There a Pee, Everywhere a PeePee
pdrer
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:13 PM

In the last 2 weeks my DH has started peeing in the strangest places.  First he peed in our back room in a paper bag that had papers in it to be shredded, then in the shower (him not in it), then the bathroom sink ( a couple of different times).  Last night (1:OO am) he was sleeping in his chair (where he always sleeps) stood up, pulled it out and peed all over the coffee table (magazines and all)!  I just sat there rather dumfounded and thankful that he didn't come over and pee on me....  Of course in all these incidents he had no clue what he had done other than peed.  He wears Depends all the time, but still goes to the bathroom a good deal too.  Am I going to have to follow him around all the time with a urinal in my hand hoping to catch it quick enough?  I know that is not reasonable but......   Just a new adventure!!
catlady
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:19 PM

Does he do this when he is asleep?  Can you take him to the restroom just before he goes to sleep----and restrict liquids in the evening?
oziemae
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:33 PM

Been there done that. It was not fun at all. Now he will not go to the bathroom, unless I keep on at him to go and that is hard because when I finally get him in the bathroom it is very hard to get him to get up and come out. He has been in there for six hours before setting doing nothing.( hard hard and getting harder).

Prayers

Pat

pdrer
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM

Catlady, last night he had been awake for about 1/2 hr, the other times were during the day.

Oziemae, 6 hrs!   I can't even imagine...did he just sit there? Did he finally just come out on his own?  I guess at least you knew where he was and what he was doing.

Everyday is a new adventure.

GGmaw
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:33 PM

Last week I was sitting in the den when my LO got up walked into the kitchen and peed on the little rug I keep in front of the sink!  This is a first - he has been pretty good at going to the bathroom for this -- however, he has fecal accidents all the time.  I went into our bathroom yesterday - and there it was in a big pile in the middle of the floor.  Just don't understand this.  He would never admit he did such a thing!!!!!   Someone else hiding in the house must have done it!!!!

Fifteen minutes after I posted this - I went to the kitchen and he was  trying to pee in a plastic bag - thank goodness I caught him in time and took him to the bathroom.

bonob
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:21 PM

My husband did that for a while about 4 months ago.  The nurse said to get coveralls and put them on backwards.  I never did that (seemed a little extreme) but he stopped after a couple weeks and just started going in the Depends. He still pees on me when I'm trying to get him to sit on the toilet but that seems more of an accident .  It seems most strange behaviors last a while and then they move on to other things.  It's exhausting following them around but what can you do? We had company the other day (which is rare) and my grandson said "Grandpa has a problem"  And I said "does he have to go to the bathroom?'  And my grandson said for all to hear, "No, he already did in his pants".  Oh well!
dfh
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:00 PM

God bless you wonderful caregivers. How do you do all that you do? And how do you get through the day? I'm a nervous wreck most of the time, but my situation is nothing like yours...........so far. Bless you a thousand times dfh
Pasnurse
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:03 PM

Not that post is funny but I am going thru the same thing........ He was going to the toilet but this week the toilet is invisible ..... Ugh   Where to pee now??????? Pauline
SunnyCA
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:44 PM

The toilet could actually be invisible to him if it's the same color as the walls, floor, nearby cupboards or tub, etc.  It's part of visual agnosia problem.

Try getting a colored toilet seat -- I like the plastic ones, since they're more comfortable (not as hard or cold) and pretty inexpensive at many websites.  Be sure to get a solid color, though, not a pattern -- our loved ones can find patterns confusing.  A bright, contrasting color is best.  If the color is too dark, it can appear to be a hole.

Another thing to try is colored water in the toilet.

Or maybe he's having trouble finding the bathroom itself -- could that be the problem?  Put a sign on the door (TOILET, and/or a picture of one).  If he's having trouble finding it at night, keep a nightlight lit in the bathroom, and a stripe of fluorescent tape or perhaps even have a trail of LED light strips leading from the bedroom to the bathroom.

pdrer, I bought several urinals and kept them in any room he was likely to visit, so one would be handy if I needed to grab it in an emergency.  I also kept a towel or two nearby, to throw on the floor around his feet to catch what the urinal didn't and/or to keep him from slipping -- we have ceramic tile flooring throughout the house.

You might want to consider adaptive clothing that fastens in the back, so he can't get his depends off.  It's a little drastic, true, but cleaning up urine puddles all over the house is, too.  You can find high-quality adaptive clothing at Buck and Buck.  They hem pants to length at no extra cost (name tags, too, for those of you with spouses in a facility), and have an amazing return policy.

Peg70
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:43 PM

My husband has been doing this for about 6 - 7 months, nothing I can say or do will stop him. He pee's everywhere, Dr says his urine is clear and there is nothing wrong with him, but I can't get him to use the toilet and when he does, it is a little dribble and he will be back in there in a few mins. or using the corner of the bedroom or the bed or wherever else he can find. If you come up with an answer, please let me know.    Peg70
cathy41
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 6:52 AM

pdrer wrote:
In the last 2 weeks my DH has started peeing in the strangest places.  First he peed in our back room in a paper bag that had papers in it to be shredded, then in the shower (him not in it), then the bathroom sink ( a couple of different times).  Last night (1:OO am) he was sleeping in his chair (where he always sleeps) stood up, pulled it out and peed all over the coffee table (magazines and all)!  I just sat there rather dumfounded and thankful that he didn't come over and pee on me....  Of course in all these incidents he had no clue what he had done other than peed.  He wears Depends all the time, but still goes to the bathroom a good deal too.  Am I going to have to follow him around all the time with a urinal in my hand hoping to catch it quick enough?  I know that is not reasonable but......   Just a new adventure!

I My husband has had the same problem but only after he's gone to sleep for the night and it's only happened about five or six times in the past six months.  I think maybe the Aricept he takes at night may be the reason for his being in a daze.  He also takes a pee pill at night...HA.   Keeping a towel nearby is a good idea, so far he's only gone near the bed or in the bathroom but he was very close to the clothes closet so I was lucky to get him into the toilet before he went in there. 

dfh
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 7:04 AM

I am having my DH keep a bucket of water next to the toilet, trying to get him to completely empty his bladder. I remember when pts. couldn't go after surgery or delivery we'd put their hands in water or let the faucet run. I'm not sure he gets the reasoning, but when I explained it to him he seemed to get the major point. It seemed to do the trick. He sits longer on the toilet & said he went more with his hand in the water. And the best news is, he spent less time in the bathroom. He did empty the bucket a few times so I had to reinforce the need for it & that it was ok to sit there all day long in between BR visits. I know this isn't like peeing everywhere, but this seemed the best place to add this message.

SunnyCA's suggestion for keeping urinals on hand in each room sounds like a very good idea. I have one on hand just in case & I'd buy more if necessary. Also for extra towels, I've managed to pick some up at a discount store & at some estate sales (from people I know in town). Try to get all one color for easier laundry. dfh

Sea Field
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 11:06 AM

Last night my DH went to the bathroom and sat down - without pulling down his bottoms or lifting the lid off the seat.  Needless to say, here a pee, there a pee, ... and 11 PM laundry and floor scrubbing.

So, no more closing the lid on the toilet and also making more effort to ensure I go into the bathroom with him each time.  Didn't see any humor in the situation last night, but this morning I can at least hum the tune 'everywhere a pee pee'.

Blessings to all of us.  We need them!

Cynthia  

Lorita
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 11:12 AM

Hi Cynthia, 

Ray does that sometimes, too.   I'll see him and say "pull down your pants" and that sometimes upsets him.   Guess we can't win for losing.   I have seen him pull down the Depends and then stand there and go in them instead of the stool.    Sometimes I put on one of the kind that fastens around him with a Depends on top or a guard inside - that works pretty well.     

We never know what the new day will bring, do we?   Oh, did I mention that the nurse practitioner Tuesday says the VA now has the pullups?     I think they're easier - I can never get the others tight enough.

Be Strong 2
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 4:39 PM

I'm sorry ladies.  It's not nice to laugh at other peoples' misery, but I needed a chuckle today.  I had to laugh at pdrer's thankfulness that he didn't come over and pee on her.  We should always be thankful for the good things.  

To be up front, my wife didn't have those kind of problems but would just miss the toilet, or not get there in time, for both urine and bowels.  If I didn't wake up in time at 4:30 AM she would come back to bed that way.  Ewwww!  I started to set the alarm for 4:15 and also got bed pads for under and over the sheets.  Also started to use a draw sheet, I think it's called.

Now I let the Memory Care Home aides worry about it.

Remember, we're all in the same boat; and the darn thing leaks!

Bob  

surfergirl
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 5:02 PM

hey, bob everyone deserves a chuckle now and then, ithought when my youngest kid [eones ago] was potty trained , and my last pup ,[ not too long ago ] was housebroken, that i was done cleaning pee & poo, wrong again. my boat is sinking.

good thing i swim well, in water at least.stay strong

surfergirl

Pasnurse
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 7:30 PM

Hi everyone again..... I to got a chuckle againreading the post..... I too can associate with all of you with John.....l we could all write books. When my kids ask if this is normal for him...... I say according to my friends on the alz group he is right up there with the best of them.......      The boat is sinking but I have not had the honor of getting peed on..... Everything in my house has been baptized.... Love and chuckles to all of you...... Pauline
pdrer
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 11:26 AM

It really is funny when I sit back and re read this (even though it wasn't that night). Luckily the furniture has been safe since then....just the bathroom floor.  It is amazing how sometimes he can use the bathroom just fine (for both) and other times for neither.  Yesterday he pooped in the toilet just fine and today it was in his Depends.....you just never know.
SusieJ
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:51 PM

Hi everyone!  I hate to tell you this, but my Don peed everywhere for at least two years.  I just now put my oriental scatter rugs back down.  He all of a sudden started telling me when he had to go and sometimes when I take him to the toilet he actually goes!  It's like de ja vous (sp) when potty training my boys.  Makes Mommy so happy!  Only thing we make 6 or 8 trips to the bathroom before anything happens.  God bless us all as we struggle through this horrible disease 

Susie

bonob
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:47 PM

OMG you guys make me feel normal!  I  feel like I live in pottyland!  It's always one or the other and I get those "hanging chads" where you can smell it but you can't see it.  Then you try to wipe and a big clump comes out!  No one but us would believe it and no one tells it like it is in those books.  I have to laugh or I would cry!
mike caregiver
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:22 PM

My father has Alzheimer's and urinates on my bathroom floor all the time. If I say anything he will get angry and deny it and blame me. Then he will launch into one of his personal attacks on me. He is completely delusional and comes up with things that never happened or that have nothing to do with what he did, and will use them to try and attack me. I am really at my wits end with him. It seems that "DAD" now stands for delusions and denial.
Pasnurse
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 6:36 PM

To mike...... I have read your other post.   And you are very angry. How do I know because I have been there and  sometimes  I lapse ........ Have you sought counseling?     I am a retired RN and I finally got to a counselor.... Nurses are supposed to fix everything...... That is who we are..... In this case I am helpless except for being a strong advocate for my 67 year old spouse who was dz at 59....I am 65 which may sound old to you however I am not and neither is he. Peeing in certain places comes and goes did it aggravate me it sure did !!!!!!! But I continue to march on... Have I blocked the world out occasionally ...yes I have....... I know you know that your dad's behavior is not done to spite you.... Your are tired and beaten down....... If I shared with you his other behaviors you would find your self luckier then most of us in this sinking boat.......it does not change how you feel.    But you need hello to sort out your feelings....... Even if and when you place your dad.... I hope you do not take this as a lecture. Because it is not intended to be.....   Seek help for you!!!!!!!! Pleas continue to post.     Pauline
mike caregiver
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:24 AM

Pasnurse wrote:
To mike...... I have read your other post.   And you are very angry. How do I know because I have been there and  sometimes  I lapse ........ Have you sought counseling?     I am a retired RN and I finally got to a counselor.... Nurses are supposed to fix everything...... That is who we are..... In this case I am helpless except for being a strong advocate for my 67 year old spouse who was dz at 59....I am 65 which may sound old to you however I am not and neither is he. Peeing in certain places comes and goes did it aggravate me it sure did !!!!!!! But I continue to march on... Have I blocked the world out occasionally ...yes I have....... I know you know that your dad's behavior is not done to spite you.... Your are tired and beaten down....... If I shared with you his other behaviors you would find your self luckier then most of us in this sinking boat.......it does not change how you feel.    But you need hello to sort out your feelings....... Even if and when you place your dad.... I hope you do not take this as a lecture. Because it is not intended to be.....   Seek help for you!!!!!!!! Pleas continue to post.     Pauline

I have considered going to counseling or therapy. The amount of stress I have had the last 9 months since my sister died has been unbearable. It feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. I have so many things that I have to take care of and the list is never ending. There are all my personal affairs, my business, and then all my fathers personal, medical, and financial stuff. And I have no help. Right after my sister died I had family members coming to me saying how they would do everything they could to help me with my dad. But now where are they? Not one of them is doing a single thing to help except telling me what they think I should do. I can't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep. The stress is non stop and I just can't get a break. It seems that the family members who offered all that help don't really give a sh** right now. I feel like a prisoner in my own home with no escape. My father is completely clueless about what he is doing. The sad thing is I'm getting to the point where I don't give a sh** either.

Conundrum
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 3:21 AM

I haven't had to deal with this issue myself, but my grandfather started peeing in dresser drawers and on the floor of the bedroom.  I think that was the point where my mother and grandmother decided it was time for him to go into a nursing home.  I suspect that if Dawn starts doing things like that, I may well decide that the point has been reached and make arrangements with a nursing home too.

-Mike

Pasnurse
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 8:02 AM

Mike caregiver.  Please seek help professionally for you.... It is not a cure all but you will be able to unburden your feelings to an impartial person.   Call the alz hot line!!!!!! Pauline
Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:21 AM

Good morning Mike, 

I think you're doing a good thing in posting what you feel.  That is a release for you.   I feel that when I write down things,it gets it off my chest and it makes me feel better. 

We've all been there, are there or will be there so we understand everything you're going through.   I have used this forum so many times in the past two years for that purpose.   Ray and I are alone - no relatives closeby and I'm, of course, the sole caregiver.  We live in the country - so no close neighbors to rely on except one that I can call on if necessary.   I don't unless it's an emergency.  But, everyone here is a friend and understands so to them I vent, rant, rave, ask questions or whatever comes to mind.   Someone is always here to listen and help in whatever way we can.    

I have called the Alz. Org. a couple of times when Ray would walk away from the house.   That's another good resource.  Use all you have.   If a place is available for you to get our of the house alone, do that, for a few minutes.  I know you're a man and may not think crying is something a man should do, but it makes a woman feel better - so why wouldn't it make a man feel better, too.    Yell at the top of your voice is you want to - what will it hurt? and it might help you.    Anything to let off the steam - and sometimes there's plenty of that, right? 

Post often and whenever you feel the need.  We'll listen and try to help. 

Ol' Doc
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2013 2:44 PM

This topic is so timely, I hope nobody minds if I comment.  I'm new to the website.  My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia in 2009.  He is treated at the VA Hospital and is 77 years of age.

The first time I knew we had this problem, my husband used a beautiful red pot our daughter gave us for Christmas.  It was sitting on the living room floor, half under an end table.  It was too large to fit all the way underneath.  The pot now sits outside on the front porch.  It was washed well.

Since that episode of using the bathroom where ever the feeling struck - he has gone twice at the air conditioning closet - once inside and once outside.  He went several times in our bedroom floor and another time pulled out a bureau drawer with my clothes inside and then peed on the front of the drawer. 

He can still use the toilet but sometimes cannot hit the water.  He will have urine on his legs and tops of his feet.  I can tell him he needs to sit down on the commode but he is so used to standing that he won't listen. 

The VA Hospital supplies us with 23" x 36" bed pads (plastic on one side, absorbent material on the other.)  These are wonderful for covering the couch cushions where he sits and for covering/weighting down over fresh spots on the rug - before using the Spotbot for cleaning.

And the VA also now has the pull-up Depends type pant.  They only supplied the tab sided pants at first, like a giant diaper.  These are more manageable.

SunnyCA
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2013 4:35 PM

Hi, Ol' Doc, welcome to the forum!

We're delighted to have your input, any time you feel like chatting with us!  And please feel free to start new topics of your own, any time you have questions, concerns, or just want to vent.

pdrer
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 2:44 PM

Well, the latest attempt at a new place was in the garbage can in the kitchen.  Luckily I got him in time and got him to the bathroom.  I follow him around most of the time with the urinal now (just to keep his clothes dry mainly) and he is pretty much ok with that.  It makes me realize just how much he does "go"!   I think I need a couple more to keep up with him (he goes to different bathrooms each time).  Loves spreading the joy I guess!     Almost wish he would just go outside and pee in the swimming pool!    I am thankful for all the response to this post.... I AM NOT ALONE!
L7738
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 8:29 PM

While we were staying at my son's home until our apartment was ready, if I didn't get up in the night to lead my DH to the bathroom we would find a puddle here or there, usually in a different place each time.  Since we moved in last month, with the master bathroom just a few steps from his side of the bed he has used the toilet every time.  Until today.  It's my 81st birthday today, and for the last 55 years he used to wake me on my birthday with a kiss saying "You're not younger than me any longer, you're the same age now"  Instead I woke to a tinkle, and could see (they still havent't replaced the door I broke thru when i was locked in the bathroom) him urinating into the shower.  No probldem, easy to clean.  But I jumped up when he started washing his hands in the toilet, grabbed some disinfectant soap and led him to the sink.  The rest of the day was fine, but I wo;nder what tomorrow will bring. You just never know what to expect, do you?
SunnyCA
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 8:37 PM

And a very happy birthday to you, L7738.  What a way to celebrate...
lurk
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:58 AM

Happy Birthday, L.  Hope the rest of the days this year are less eventful.
MLW-S
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:28 PM

My DH is 66 and his Brain spec just came back as Alzhiemers.  He is not at the peeing stage yet, thank goodness, but  after reading everyone's posts, I've picked up some hints on how to handle it when and if it comes.  Thank you for all your candid posts on what you are doing to make this problem bearable.

MLW-S

pdrer
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:48 AM

MLWS, glad this post was a help to you.  Keep us posted on your journey as well.
daddysbeanbag
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:19 PM

It is wonderful to find others who are also dealing with this problem. I had to move the trashcan out of our bathroom as my hubby would aim for the toilet and end up with peeing between the can and the toilet. He still misses more than he should but this has just started with him. I still have a lot to experience yet. The toilet and resistance to bathing and changing clothes are my problems now.....I have a lot to look forward to. Alzheimer's  is a ) :

× Close Menu