Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Alzheimer' victims benefitted by social groups
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:22 PM

This article appeared in a promotion for the Senior Expo.  Apparently, these patients and spouses started their own group for themselves, the Wild Bunch supper club.

http://ladailynews.travidia.com/SS/Page.aspx?sstarg=&facing=false&secid=138099&pagenum=20 

Iris L.

struggling
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:59 PM

I wonder if they are accepting all newcomers, and if so, how do I connect?
Anyone in this part of the world heard of this group?  I am surprised to hear of its existence.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 12:51 AM

Struggling, this particular group is in Portland, Oregon.  A group of patients and their spouses just got together and started their own supper club once a month.  I posted the article so people can get an idea.

You might want to start a group in your own community.  You might start with two couples.  They meet in each others' homes.

Iris L.

BBobAZ
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 12:21 PM

Please don't refer to those of us who have AD as VICTIMS.  We are not defined by AD, we haven't lost ourselves, we are people who have a probable diagnosis of AD and are carrying on our lives in a fairly normal way, maybe even better than we were before we were labeled with accelerated brain aging.

Alzheimer's is a condition.  Like diabetes or heart disease. 

juliette
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 1:54 PM

Some time lurker, first time poster here. If you live in the midwestern U.S., there is a group called "Without Warning" that has saved my sanity since my diagnosis six months ago. It is for "people living with EOD" and their care partners. The monthly meetings are held in the western suburbs of Chicago, but members come from as far away as Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan to attend!

They have applied for a grant to take it nation-wide, so keep your fingers crossed!

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 2:04 PM

Welcome, Juliette.  You're fortunate to have such a group.  I'll keep my eyes open for it, although I don't live in the midwest. 

Here is a link to the website about the program:

http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1160429787936.html

The point of this article is that the patients and family members themselves got together and formed their own support group, after the formal support group was disbanded. 

Patients and family members don't have to wait on an organization to start a support group.

How are you doing, Juliette?  Are you on medication?  Please stay in touch.

Iris L. 

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 2:06 PM

BBob, that was the headline of a newspaper article.  I should have put it in quotes.

I agree, we are not victims.  We are warriors and champions.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 7:52 PM

Hi Juliette,

Welcome to our group.

How far west of Chicago is the group. I raised my family in Oak Park. Wonderful place to live.

× Close Menu