Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends(4)
Lorita
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:57 PM

Good evening,

As I always say "here we go again".    I guess it is time to start another chapter.   People, including me, have been having trouble getting on or have been having to wait a long time for the replies to post.   Maybe this will help.

Ray's in bed along with Barclee.   Barclee was trembling some tonight like he did the first night after his eye surgery so I finally got a while Tramadol down him - maybe that'll take care of it.  He has an appointment with his ophthalmologist Monday in Tulsa.    Prince is on the front porch.  I guess he decided it was too warm in the house although I only have an electric heater on.   It was almost 70 degrees here today but supposed to be in the 40s tonight so guess I better get him in the house.

Ray was weepy again tonight.   He's started going to bed before I do but he's weepy when he does go.   I'll talk to his psychiatrist about this when we see him on Nov. 12th.

I'm in a better frame of mind tonight - gotta get out of this funk I've been in and get things organized for winter.   Today I was outside and things are looking different and I got a little bit scared about what the winter may bring this year.   I always try to get plenty of hay out before we have a snow or ice storm but if it lasts a few days I have to put out more anyway.   I'll be sure to have liquid feed and mineral tubs out all winter just in case.   I had considered asking our neighbor if he wanted to feed for us this winter but I talked with his wife last week and she has developed a heart problem and isn't able to do much so I don't know if he would or not.

Guess I'll go ahead and do it myself.

I'll get off and go to bed and quit boring all of you with my ramblings about things.  Hope everyone has a nice, restful  night and a good Friday.

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 12:30 AM

I'm up to listen.  We live in AR, it was beautiful out with the changing colors.  Had a black cat run across in front of us.  Had to laugh, my mother would have done a u turn to avoid letting it cross her path.  It was a happy Halloween, we had 4 trick or treaters.  That's 4 more than we usually have.  

Good Night

Bonnie

Lorita
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 10:17 AM

Good morning, 

Sorry about no paragraphs in my first post - guess I was tired and didn't think to edit.   I have to do that every time after I post to get it to paragraph. 

Marjorie  - how in the world did you get all of that stuff on your post? 

Something was wrong with the message board this morning - I couldn't even log in.   Looks all right now. 

Pretty day here but kind of cool.   I've been to the barn to feed three cows and Buck and the cats and kittens.   Three of the youngest ones are having trouble with their eyes so had to bathe and medicate them. 

I see that Ray is up.  I have to shave him before we go to town this afternoon.  Barclee seems better this morning - guess the pain pill worked.  Prince got up after a while when I came in, ate and took meds and went outside.  Now he's back in sleeping.   I'm going to talk with the vet about muscle spasms like Linda Dee mentioned with her little dog. 

Bonnie, my mother was the same about a black cat crossing the road in front of her.   I am, too, to some extent.   We have lots of black cats but there's almost always one white hair on them - so they don't count.   That's what I always say "Oh, I see a couple of white hairs on the cat so it doesn't count".   I'm also superstitious about walking under a ladder and even stepping on cracks in the sidewalk - and you know you have to say "bread and butter" if you're walking with someone and each of you goes on oppositie sides of a post.  I think it would be interesting to hear about the superstitions others might have.

Hope all of you have a good day - Happy November!  this year will be gone before we know it.   It's really gone fast. 

Marjorie McCarthy
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 12:16 PM

I wrote a big long post, LOL. Then I got all that gibberish.

We have terrible winds here, I'm waiting for dogs to be picked up. Hate it.

Hope your Vet can figure out what is wrong with poor Prince.

Hope everyone has a quiet weekend

Mama Sue
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 1:55 PM

Lorita,   my mom had a superstition that always embarrassed  us kids and infuriated Daddy.    She would get up early,  sometimes before daylight.  She would get dressed without turning on a light.   If she happened to put her dress wrong side out or backward she thought it would be bad luck to change it so she would wear it ALL DAY LONG  that way. 

Daddy would be aggravated at breakfast and tell her ," Go put that dress on right."   When she still had it on at suppertime he'd really be mad but she'd keep it on till bedtime.

Thank goodness we lived in the country and seldom had anyone drop in.   I don't know what she thought would happen but she sure wasn't  taking any chances on bad luck.

nessa
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 2:12 PM

My mom was English, married an American service man, she did few things that last in our family...the first one I don't know if it's of English origin or not but on the first of every month it was good to be the first one to say, "Pinch, punch 1st of the month and no return." 

The person that you lightly pinched and punched would respond, "Pinch and a kick for being so quick and no return." also done gently. Dad and I still do that if we remember. He always cringes though as if I would really hurt him! Then I tickle him. 

and then she always knocked on wood...if she thought she might be jinxing herself...my daughter and I still do that all the time but my son mutters at us about stupid superstitions...lol 

bjsmom
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 3:36 PM

Hello all.  It has been a crazy couple of weeks here but I drop in to read some but no time to post.  We are continuing to paint our large sprawled out house between rain and cooler weather.  We had tried to get some of the men from church to help out but got no volunteers.  We borrowed a scaffold from one of our neighbors and BJ is a monkey climbing up and down the scaffold to reach the 2-story soffits.  The bad part is we are having to basically scrape down to bare wood and prime and paint everything. The last paint we got either was not as good of quality as we thought it was or the paint was damaged by hail over the years.  Maybe a little bit of both. 

During the process of painting it has become obvious of some of DH deficiencies with his dementia.  One day Benj was up on the scaffold, I was on a 7' stepladder and Benji needed some paint. We tie the can on to a rope and he is hauls it up.  DH could not figure out how to get the paint up.  He had it in his head that he had to pour it into a roller pan and send it up that way but was worried how to do it without spilling it all over.  We tried for over 5 minutes to tell him how to handle it.  I finally had to get off the ladder and do it myself.  We have had DH help.  He does not do a good job scraping but he can kind of handle a roller and/or a paintbrush. He slops a lot of paint around that never makes it to the house but it is keeping him busy and he is so tired he sleeps well at night.  I have noticed him talking to himself a lot though while painting.  I am never sure if he is talking to himself or to us but when asked he what he says he always says nothin', so I kind of think he is talking himself through the process.

I had hoped to take a picture of my beautiful maple tree outside the kitchen window this year.  It is usually a glorious burnished red and orange.  It did not turn that way this year. It has yellow leaves, which is very unusual for it. I think the weather plays a lot in how the leaves turn out.  Northern Indiana is so pretty now with all the reds, yellows, and greens.  The burning bushes this year are spectular with their red follage.  However, the rain and high wind we have had the last couple of days started the process of falling leaves now.

Since we live in Amish country there are always a lot of superstitions around.  One Amishman told my dad once that winter will never come until the ponds are full.  My mom was always a good one for superstitions.  My favorite of hers was that it was bad luck to cut your fingernails or toenails on Sunday.

Lorita, I have been worried about you. Are you sure you are going to be able to handle the farm animals and Ray this winter?  You have to take care of yourself too. If Prince is housebroken it sounds like he will be a good watchdog for you, if he is in the house.  It has to be hard on Bella too since she is still a puppy to lose her playmate.

I might not be on again for a few weeks until we get finished on the house.  There are too many things to get done this fall before winter hits.  I sure hope I can get it all done.  The guys at my house just do not have an eye for detail.  They do basic stuff but a lot still rests on me.  I have a long list of things to do but I have scaled back some and try to concentrate only on what has to be done now.  Unfortunately it seems to all need done NOW.

silvertop
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 4:09 PM

Lorita, you're beginning to sound better.  That's good news for all of us.

And Marji - glad your surgery is over  Sounds like the outcome of the skin cancer removal was excellent.

Today I saw the neuro ophthalmologist.  My appointment was 10 am and I got done at 2 pm, so it was a long day with more visual fields and other testing.  The really good news is that what is being seen is a result of my slowly developing glaucoma and not a tumor or a bleed.  This I can deal with, and I'll probably have to start drops in the spring for the glaucoma.  It's low pressure glaucoma that is gradually showing itself on testing and visual fields.  My vision is actually 20/20, despite the holes in my visual fields.  So I'm a happy camper tonight.  I really wasn't too worried because I couldn't fit it in!  But I'm relieved to know it's not something bad.  Jim for the first time in a long time expressed concern but he'll forget it quickly.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.  Carolyn

Lorita
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 8:10 PM

Good evening everyone, 

Went by the vets today and got more pain medicine for Prince and some Tramadol - muscle relaxant.   I thought that was a pain medicine because I have some for Barclee but I'll use it.   Ray did good in town today but when he wasn't looking I had to keep taking things out of the grocery cart that he'd put in.  He got a tray of doughnuts and had two on the way home.   I took some things in the house and came back to the pickup and he was eating another one - BS tonight was over 200. 

Marjorie -That was weird about your post turning into what showed up.  Things were really messed up this morning.  We had awful winds yesterday and blew a lot of leaves off the trees but they're still pretty. 

Carolyn - I am better tonight.   I talked with my best friend late today.  I knew she'd set me straight.  We went to work at the VA the same day - I was 19, barely and she was almost 18 so we literally matured together.   Been through so much together.  

I'm glad  your doctor's visit went well and that your glaucoma is slow developing.   Now they can keep it under control pretty well with drops.  My cousin's husband has glaucoma and she has to put the drops in for him. 

bjsmom - Do you like to paint?   I do but Ray doesn't but I'm going to try to get him to help me anyway.   Be careful on that ladder and don't fall. 

I wish that superstition about not having winter until the ponds are full was really true.   We've had 1.5" the last two days and ours is pretty full so guess winter can begin soon.   

I think I'll make it all right.   I can feed hay before Ray gets up if the weather isn't too bad.   We feed range cubes very late in the day so the cows will calve in the daytime.   I'll have Ray go with me if it isn't too cold. 

If I run into trouble, maybe the neighbor can take over. 

Prince is so good in the house.  He barks if he hears something outside  and his bark is lovely - big and booming.   We've gotten another outside dog - Susie - that we got from the vet.   She's also young and she and Bella have a wonderful time together.   She's bigger than Bella and I try  my best to keep her in the yard.  She's also good with the cats. 

Susie - that's a superstition I've never heard of - about the dress.   We have another one that if we leave the house and have to go back in for some reason, you have to go in the same way you came out.  Another is that mother always called us on Christmas Eve morning and said "Christmas Eve gift".   I still do that with my sister and Ray.   I wonder how all these supersitions begin. 

nessa - the superstitions your mother had are interesting.   We also have always knocked on wood to avoid jinxing something that we said.  So many superstitions and I guess there are different ones in each family and in different parts of the world.

Zandra - what about Australian superstitions?

terromari
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 8:20 PM

So I rescued a black cat from the shelter the spring just before my LO flipped. He replaced my orange Persian that passed at just over 16 years. Did that cat jinx me? He is very affectionate when my other cat is not on the couch.
silvertop
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 8:46 PM

My grandmother was Scottish, and after midnight on New Years my dad had to be the first one to go in her house with a lump of coal ( so they'd be warm all year) and a bag of sugar (so they'd have something to eat).  I was 7 when she passed away, but I remember how important that was to her.  Funny - I hadn't thought about that for years!  Carolyn
Linda Dee
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 10:00 PM

Lorita,  I am anxious to know how Prince does on this added medication. I do hope it helps!! 

Also, I noticed Dr Pol will be on most of Saturday afternoon. I know you enjoy that program and we do too, but I wont get to watch. Maybe I can dvr it, if I can figure that out.

Hope all have a great weekend.  The trees are beautiful here in the Ozarks.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 10:30 PM

When I was growing up in Brooklyn the custom was you wanted to have a man be the first person to enter your home on New Year's Day.  I don't know why.

Iris L.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 10:33 PM

Hi again, 

Carolyn, one of our superstitions that we still believe in is having black-eyed peas on New Years Day so we'll be lucky all year.   I wouldn't start a year without eating some of them.   Mother and daddy used to cook them with some kind of meat, pork, I believe and it was really fatty so wasn't ham. 

Linda - I just checked and the internet says Tramadol isn't a muscle relaxant so guess our vet thought this would be better.  The girl at the desk talked with him about it - his clinic was really busy today.   I won't give it to Prince unless he seems really uncomfortable - but, maybe I should to see if it will straighten him out.  He only gave us 10 of the tablets. 

Not sure where Pittsburg, MO is.  So if you're in the Ozarks, must be not far from Arkansas.   Weather is supposed to be really pretty this weekend so bet there'll be lots of traffic - people looking at the leaves. 

Ray's kind of odd tonight - doesn't want to go sleep in the bed.  I told him he could sleep on the divan if he wanted to.  He's gotten where he doesn't want to sit in his recliner either.   Don't know what the problem is. 

I really do enjoy watching Dr. Pol but it seems like we're getting the same shows over and over.   I'll watch anyway.

Midget13
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 10:57 PM

Lorita~ My Doctor gave me Tramadol for my osteoarthritis pain...I just reread the side effects and realized it may be that that has caused me to have dizzy spells a couple of times...I only take them if it is real bad...So, I better check before I take anymore....Hope your baby is ok... Hugs, Midget
Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:09 AM

Lolita, sounds like my mother, and we always had a horseshoe above the door for good luck.  I thought I was the only one that still said bread and butter.LOL

Bonnie

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:53 AM

P.S.  We also had blackeyed peas and they were cooked with hog jaws.  

I don't live too far from Pittsburg, MO, I'm straight south.

Just had a call my sil has been taken to ER with chest pains.  That's not good.  Guess I had better try get some sleep, may need to go to OK tomorrow, OH, that's today.

Goodnight, Bonnie

Marjorie McCarthy
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:50 AM

Interesting posts with all the superstition stories. I truly believe the " Touch Wood" one.

I have been on Tramadol for over 15 years, I'm addicted to it. If I miss a dose, my head gets fuzzy, I ache all over and I'm very crabby.

Mike wanted an ice cream bar last night and my back was so sore I could not climb the stairs to kitchen, so he went and brought down a sofa cushion and 2 pillows thinking they were the ice cream bars. I kinda flipped but shouldn't have cause he doesn't know.

He started off in our bed but gets up and wanders around, overturning furniture and sleeping in a chair. So yes, Lorita, Mike doesn't want his bed most of the time and I don't know why.

Carolyn, hope the Glaucoma stays mild and you can see well.

Hugs to everyone

catlady
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:42 AM

Hi Lorita and all,

I'm still here...mostly just lurking.  Don't know quite why I'm not posting....just in a quiet mood.  I had a hand-help shower head put in about two weeks ago and Mike is still not used to it and I'm having to get used to it too!  Seems like Mike was just letting the water flow over him and did not remember how to use a bar of soap. 

Also, I'm having a new sliding glass door and new windows installed.  I'm really worried that it will agitate Mike but the glass door has a leak in it and as long as I'm getting a new door, I decided to get the needed new windows too so they would all match.  We've lived here over 25 years and never had windows replaced so I guess it's about time.  The guy was supposed to start yesterday but the forcast was for rain so he thought he would not show up....nobody told me....when 10:30 rolled around and no rain and no window man, I called and he finally showed up around 1:00 p.m.  Got one window installed....he'll be back on Monday... I thought these were original windows but when he took the first window out, turned out the original owners replaced the windows before we bought the house......who knew????..luckily Mike didn't really wake up and didn't know what was going on.....

bonob
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:45 AM

Hi from another Bonnie. I'm in NY south of Buffalo in the country.  I don't usually go to this discussion but decided to check it out today.
catlady
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:58 AM

Hi Bonnie and welcome to this thread.  I really like reading this one...

I thought of a topic I need feedback on from another topic thread.  Mike and I have always gone to his sister's home for Thanksgiving and Christmas (43 years now).  She's like the matriarch of the family and everybody gathers at her home.  Last year, was not pleasant with Mike.  He was very confused and agitated at Christmas.  I was ready to drive back home (3 1/2) hours Christmas morning...he was so agitated but I stuck it out to help my sister-in-law.

This year I have decided not to go.  But, I think it's going to be pretty depressing with just the two of us and Mike doesn't even know it's Thanksgiving.....heck, other day he thought it was July 4th.....I don't want to go visit friends because he gets confused around crowds of people.  I think I'll cook a Thanksgiving and Christmas meal.  I don't even want his family to call because I'm afraid it will upset him.  He might think he's supposed to be there....but he gets upset when he is there (know what I mean?)

So, what do you guys do get through Thanksgiving and Christmas when it's only the two of you? 

Babs Willis
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:37 AM

Another peaceful Saturday morning!  I slept until 7:30 and when I went in to get Doug up at 9 he said he wanted to sleep some more. So here I sit, feeding my daughter Emily and reading posts. Kind of nice. I don't know if I ever shared info about my oldest daughter. She is 30 and was born with multiple disabilities. She has had a number of major crisis situations in her life and remarkably comes back each time. She is in a wheelchair and cannot talk. Unfortunately she cannot do much. BUT,she is the light of my life. So cheerful, resilient and loving. She is a huge Red Sox fan. During those games she yells and wiggles and has a grand time. She has made it so much easier to take care of Doug because I have had to do similar things since she was born.  I love quiet mornings with her.

Today my youngest daughter is taking Emily and me out Christmas shopping. My sister will take care of Doug.

My dear mother in-law told me about another Scottish superstition that had to do with New Years -the first person to enter your house needed to be someone with dark hair. This represented safety in that dark hair was Scottish and light hair meant invaders from another country.

Lorita,  glad to hear that you spoke with your friend. We really need our friends and family to be with us on this journey. My sister has been an angel since she moved in with me and the normal conversational interaction keep me sane.

Now on to Christmas shopping and planning for a quiet thanksgiving.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:26 AM

Good morning, everyone, 

It's a very pretty morning but kind of cool with the north wind - supposed to be in the 60s.   I'm thinking either today or tomorrow Ray and I may take another foliage drive - south this time.   I'd go today but have to put out creepfeed and feed in the barn so time may be a factor.   He and Barclee are still asleep - I slept until almost 8 a.m.    When the time changes back I'll get up earlier - don't like to get up in the dark. 

Babs - My friend I talked with yesterday and I know each other inside out.  She knows how tender-hearted both Ray and I are and talked me through my guilt-trip - I hope. 

So, you're going Christmas shopping!  We don't do much at all - not many to buy for.   I've already bought something for my sister so I guess I've started, too.    

Catlady - Ray and I spend the holidays alone.  We used to go visit my sister and would eat out but it was so hectic we've stayed home the last few years.  I usually cook a dinner and that's about it.   We don't make much about holidays so it's just another day for us.    We haven't had a Christmas tree in many years.  The last time we had one Ray's mother was visiting and she and Ray got one and had it decorated when I came home from work.    

Don't just lurk - post - we enjoying hearing from you.  I installed a hand-held shower a few months ago and Ray holds it and sprays himself.  He doesn't understand how to change it from hand-held to regular and when I do I get drenched but it does help.  About the glass door, if it bothers your husband could you hang a lace curtain over it so the light would still come through?  I have lace curtains on the door windows and usually have them on the living and dining room windows but didn't change them out this year.  I keep insulated curtains on those windows (north side of house) with a sheer panel underneath.   So,if  your windows are fairly new, are you still going to change them?  Our house is over 100 years old and had the old, wooden windows until we changed them a few years ago.  I think it has made a difference in the warmth - no cool air coming in around them - but they are expensive. 

Bonnie - glad  you're here.  We talk about any and everything.  Now we're telling about superstitions which I think is so interesting. 

Midget and Marjorie - I wanted to try a muscle relaxant for Prince but I guess our vet though the Tramadol would be better if it's for arthritis.  I read about it and it does say it's very addictive.  Think I'll give the Deramaxx in the morning and later in the day the Tramadol to kind of spread it out.   

Marjorie - Ray's like your husband - doesn't know what things are called.  I can ask him to hand me something and he'll just hand me anything thinking that's what I asked for.  Gets frustrating, I know.  It's hard to understand why they don't know what things are but that's just part of it, I guess.  Sometimes I think it's just easier to do things myself but he feels so good and useful when he does help. 

Bonnie - welcome to our thread.  Sorry to hear about your sister - hope she's all right soon.   I'm going to look up Pittsburg, MO - bet you're close to Branson.  My parents and I used to always go to Rockaway Beach on Lake Taneycomo on Labor Day and ride the Lake Queen paddlewheel boat.  We went there on our Senior Class trip and fell in love with it.  Ray and I have been there a few times and he really liked it, too.  We'd always rent one of the houses facing the lake and stay the weekend - it was so very restful.   Wish we could take trips like that again.  The last time we went to Eureka Springs for a few days he wanted to come home the first night.  After two hours at my sisters a couple of weeks ago he wanted to come home - guess he feels more relaxed and safe at home.  So, from now on very short trips. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.  Extra hour of sleep tonight or an extra hour tomorrow when  you need it. 

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:41 AM

Catlady

I was just thinking of that last night.  What about getting a rotisserie chicken,  Kraft stove top dressing, instant potatoes, gravey mix, and vegetable.  I will probably make cranberry salad too.

I will be making it for 4.   My dh's daughter will be coming this coming weekend for their Thanksgiving.  The rest will be coming the Holiday weekend.

Hope it turns out to be a good day for you.

Bonnie

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:55 AM

Hi catlady, 

I do just about what Bonnie suggested.  Last year I cooked a turkey breast in our Nu-Wave oven - turned out good.   Easy things to do so you get to rest a bit.  Gotta have pumpkin pie and I do bake that.   I use instant potatoes a lot and they're really very good.

Nipper
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:11 AM

Good morning from the Northwest! This morning is beautiful, we had rain in the night so every.thing is wet, but the sun is shinning, gives me energy.

I haven't posted for awhile, but glad to cruise the comments.  I like this format, like just chatting with a friend.

I bought a "transport. Chair" for my dh as his angina is getting worse and his legs hurt when we walk, so this way, he can ride and we can still get out. I have made a game out of it, if he will let me push him first, then he can push me awhile and back and forth. Gives us both some exercise, I so dread a long dark wet winter.

There is so much to say, but will save some of it for later. I will try and post more often.

deeandlaz
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:10 PM

Hi Everybody,

I haven't really posted on the website much as I am new to this.  I love reading all of you guys posts about your life, family and animals.  I have been reading alot of the post and enjoy them all.  This website has helped me to get through the shock of Larry's (my husband) diagnosis in late Sept. 

We have 2 cats we love dearly but my DH can't for the life of him remember the youngest ones name which i Baby.  He consistantly calls her by our other cats name of Lily. 

It's raining today in Florida.  I am from North Carolina and we moved here a year ago.  I so miss the change of seasons.  I would love to see a beautiful Maple tree changing colors.

I too grew up with superstitions....On New Years Day you have to eat black eyed peas for luck, ham hock for health and collard greens for more money.  Never ever wash cloths on New Years Day.  If you do someone in your family will die.  Never really bought into that until one year I did and my FIL passed that year.  Not that I think I'm the cause, I'll just never take that chance again..lol!  My mother was a big believer in bad luck caused by black cats but as I have owned several I never bought into that one either. 

We will be spending the holidays alone just Larry and I as my daughter and granddaughters are back in NC.  I miss them terribly and Halloween was sad without seeing the girls but the internet helps alot. 

I look forward to the break in my days where I can get on here and read the posts.  I've never really been one to post alot but I'm learning that this is a good website to unload some!  Thanks for being here everybody!

henry1
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:21 PM

Hello to everyone,

I have not been on the site for about 3 weeks or more.  I realize that when I get in a down mood I don't want to see or talk to anyone and tend to isolate.  Things have been to hectic and I know that is what made me get in one of those moods.

I have been looking around for another home and I have decided that this is not a time for that so will rest and step back.  Also we had to get a different car that took some time. 

Henry had basil cell cancel just above his ear and finally had that taken care of. His doctor wanted to be sure he got it all so he removed what he felt he had to (the hole was almost around the size of a quarter) so the doctor did not stitch up the hole until he had it tested to be sure he had all the cancer out.  That evening I looked over and Henry had taken off the bandage and it looked awful and since I was not sure when he took it off (I was getting supper, doing dishes and other chores for about an hour) I was afraid that he had put his hand on the site.  I took him to the emergency room to have it cleaned and new bandage.  He took it off 2 more time while I was right there in chair next to him and again in middle of the night-  after 3 days it was stitched and before the week was out to remove stitches he had pulled all except 2 out.

Then I forgot my password and got locked out.  Finally got back on and feeling more like myself.  At least until the next mood hits.

henry1
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Hello again,

Did not want to make the last post to long so starting  new.  Thirty - five years ago right after my son passed away I went to work for the first time.  A young man at that time 11 years younger than me took me under his wing and I don't think I would have gotten through  that time without him.

After 5 years working together the shoe factory where we worked closed down.  We did not lose total touch with each other but it could goes years before we connected again and it felt like no time had passed.

Two years ago I found him on face book and found out he had moved to FL and we visited.

This last week he called me to say another friend of our from that job 35 yrs ago was coming down to visit him and we got together for lunch.

The sad news is that he is only 58 years old and was diagnosed with alzhimers last May.  I saw the change in him from 2 years ago.  Such a sad thing as he is so young and not married.  Where he worked he had a retirement fund which he is not able to start using until he is 65 years old.  I feel like crying for the future he is losing because of this horrible disease. 

Marjorie McCarthy
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:35 PM

I wanted to take a shower this AM but DH was in the bathroom forever, then he wanted to shave with my help. So now I turn up the heat and wait a few minutes to take my shower and you guessed it DH is in the bathroom and will take forever as usual. I'm so miserable.
Linda Dee
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:06 PM

Lorita, my vet  helped me figure the dosage and let me use MY medication on my dog Ali. Ali is my larger dog, Meeko is my little yorkie. Ali is better, but not 100% yet. I may decide to try the injections.

Pittsburg, MO is at Lake Pomme de Terre, just north of Springfield,MO. Bolivar, MO is where I do all major shopping, doctors, hospital and Walmart. Branson is about 90 miles south.  I also, had my Senior trip at Rock A Way Beach!

No one has mentioned spilt salt being thown over left shoulder, or broken mirrors. My family talked more about weather things. Leaves turned back on Maples, rain in 24 hours, cattle laying down facing same direction it will rain. Wind from the east, fish bite the least. Sun dog in the sky, snow is going to fly, etc.

DH still in bed today. He is sick, coughing, low grade temp. Will take him to dr on Monday. unless we do ER sooner

Bonnie-----that lives south of Pittsburg,MO. Do you go to cg meetings, for AD, in Bolivar?

Other Bonnie.....Did your cat ever show up? I missed out on that post.

What a Blessing this forum is!!!

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:33 PM

Good afternoon, 

I'm so enjoying our thread today - so much activity.  I think that's great - we're just visiting with friends. 

Marjorie - I know what you mean about the husband being in the bathroom a long time.    I think Ray stays in there  a lot because it's warmer - I haven't started using the propane stove yet.   Sometimes when he says he's going in there, I hurry and go before he gets there. 

Nipper - glad you're back.   I would love to see the Northwest.  I have a friend who worked with me that came from Medford, Oregon.    She said it was beautiful.    I'm glad the transport chair is working out well for you.  Can you fold it up and take it with you in the car?   Ray hasn't had to use his WC for a long time but it's here just in case.   

deeandlaz - welcome to the thread.   I always look forward to seeing who has posted overnight or during the day - lots of good friends here.  I, too, like the change of seasons.   I used to like autumn best but it's kind of a sad time of year with things going dormant and dying.   We've had some pretty cool nights and my beautiful caladiums that were so bright and pretty during the summer have fallen over.  I still have four forsythias I need to plant.  They're pretty  much just sticks but a couple of them have leaves and for our area fall is the best time to plant shrubs.   Maybe today. 

Hi Helen - I've missed seeing your posts lately.   I'm so glad your husband's ear is progressin well.  I know that must have been painful.  I know about the moods - I've been in an awful one the last few days but a good friend has helped a lot toward bringing me out of it.  We have to move on no matter what has happened but sometimes it's awfully hard to get out of a bad or sad mood.   All of the people here are so good at bringing back the good moods. Everyone is wonderful and has helped me through so many bad times and they're there in good times, too.   

I think it's great that you reconnected with an old friend.   Friends are precious and sometimes hard to come by.   It's sad that he's so young and has AD. 

Linda Dee - you said your big dog was taking a muscle relaxant - what's the name of it?   Prince has been pretty active this morning - been outside and interacted with the others, ate two cans of food plus part of my toast and some crackers plus I don't know how much dry food.   I don't know how much it would take for him to get full. 

You mentioned some superstitions that I'd forgotten about.   One is whatever you do on New Years Day, you'll do all year long.  So, I don't do things I don't like to do.   Also a friend of Rays told us if the cows are laying down the fish won't bite.   I'd never heard the one about sun dogs but I've always watched for them.    It's interesting there are so many and you wonder how they came to be. 

So, you live near Pittsburg and so does Bonnie - not too awfully far from Oklahoma.   There's lots of us on here from Oklahoma and two or three from Arkansas and now a couple from Missouri and Texas.  I don't recall anyone from Kansas but I could be wrong.   So many of our beautiful states are represented on our forum - so many people dealing with the same, awful disease.   It's so good we have others who know what we're dealing with that help us in hard times. 

I'll check back in later to read about other superstitions.    

Linda Dee
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:42 PM

Lorita,  I got to watch Dr Pol today, due to sick dh had a change of plans. I thought of you, while watching....would 

a calf shed work for a big dog house?  The kind used for bobby calves, then make the door opening smaller?  Just a thought!

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:49 PM

Hi Linda, 

I didn't watch Dr. Pol today - I think I'd already seen them.   That's a good idea about the calf shed.   It might work.   Wonder where you'd buy one of those?   Maybe Atwoods or Orschelns.   I'll check into that.   I don't know if they're insulated or not.  If the opening is high enough for a calf, it should work for the dogs - Prince is 29 or 30" high now at the shouulder.    

Thanks for mentioning that.  There used to be several dairies around here but they're all gone now.   I'll  look on line and see what the size is. 

Mama Sue
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:20 PM

Bonny,   about the horseshoe over the door for good luck..... Do you always make sure to hang it with the curved side down?   Otherwise the luck will run out.  Isn't that silly?   I don't really believe or fear bad results so I guess if you do things because your mom did it would be a tradition rather than a superstition.   Like having turkey  and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and blackeyed peas for New Years.

When my sister and I lived in California we had the hardest time finding fresh  blackeyed peas.  When we finally made them understand what we wanted,  they said, "Oh you mean cow peas.  We don't eat those .  We feed them to cattle.  "    My sis was determined though .  She kept looking till she found them  for her New Years dinner.

The superstition I hate most of all is when someone dies and people say ,"  Wonder who will be next cause they always go in threes."   When I was the Social Services  Director at a Nursing Facility the nurses and aides always said that and speculated who might be next.   Sadly enough there often would be more deaths in a short period of time.    So sad !

On a brighter note,  when I was in school,  if my girlfriend  and I both said something at the same time,  we'd say ,"Jinx !  You owe me a coke!"   I don't think we ever collected on the coke though.

Gotta fix my sweetie a snack.  He's foraging.   later.

× Close Menu