Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
How can/do you deal with this?
Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 12:37 AM

I have no official diagnosis of anything, but I know something is seriously wrong. 

That I'm dealing with one dementia or another, if not more. 

I feel like nobody not experiencing this can relate to what it feels like. 

For whatever reason, there it  ist. I'm it trying to accept it's reality for me. Just lost 

my train of thought. Try to continue later.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 1:59 AM

Hi Phi High, you've been dealing with this feeling for about a year.  It could be Alzheimer's, but it could also be something that you can handle with treatment. One of our members had such low testosterone it affected his cognition.  He improved after his hormones were readjusted. Another was on a medication that had a strong side effect.  Once off the medication he was back to normal. 

I don't know if any of this will apply to you.  You will have to find out.

Wouldn't it be nice to know if there was something that you could do something about?

Even if you do a memory disorder, you need time to make plans and to begin Best Practices.

Iris L.

Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 8:28 AM

I'm listening Iris and thank you. Actually I first started feeling something was wrong about 5-7 years ago. For what it's worth, I talked to one of my daughters yesterday. Told her I need help.

Supposed to conference call with sisters on plans for action. It's time I quit deluding myself. Time to "hang em up". My work is no longer fun. I now see it's a major stress. I've been driving for a living since I was 18. It's not going to be easy, and I don't know how I'm going to handle it. I've got to admit honestly that even I am no longer comfortable with my driving.

Hopefully I've set something in motion that I can't stop.  Am totally out of control (not sure if I'm saying that right).

What's the first thing you need to do when finding that you're digging yourself into a hole? Put the damn shovel down! I need help with that. I know it's time to hang up the keys, but it ain't gonna happen till somebody intervenes. Now, I have to go to work. Don't worry, I'm still safe.

younghope1
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 8:42 AM

HiPhi, it took me 2 years and a lot of miles & doctors and tests to get a diagnosis of FIRST, EO AD and then a few years later, my Neurologist was pretty certain it was Pick's disease and now finally 11 years later, it may be a vasculitis with dementia, Pick;s hasn't been completely ruled out. Over the years, I have learned to not focus so much on what it is, but rather this is what is happening in my life, this is what the doctors are treating me for and finally living in the moment. None of us knows what tomorrow will bring if it even dawns. So live in the moment taking care of yourself the best that you can. Try not to focus so much on wondering what it is, just learn to adapt to what is. I hope I have made sense?

Tracy

juliette
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:28 PM

What worked for me was to keep trying doctors until I found one who BELIEVED ME. They would give me tests for this or that-Vitamin B12 deficiency (because I am a vegetarian), sleep disorder, seizure disorder, you name it, and they all came back negative so "It was all in my head." 

Well I knew that! I know what is my head and it just wasn't normal, so I kept searching. Keep talking to people. It sounds like your family is supportive and that is worth a lot!

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:54 PM

The medical profession has an extremely difficult time getting through their thick skulls that a person under 60 years of age can have dementia. Their final diagnosis is made so much more difficult.
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:47 AM

I am repeating an earlier post in regard to dealing "with this" - meaning what if I have dementia? I have been told I have Alzheimer's.

HOW DO I LIVE WITH THIS?

I am working on a small booklet on this.

recommend WHEN THINGS FALL APART by Pema Chodren

It has become a humbling process, to know I had the life I did, to know how lucky I was to have had children I love, to have had the work I've done, just the precious life I was allowed to live. We all die and spend much time avoiding that.

The advice or wisdom is usually how to beat this or that or stay positive or eat well, exercise, take your meds when people are asking - Thing just fell apart and I am told I will  lose my ability to think and my memories. The stories I read indicate many people consider a person in late stage Alz to be walking dead, already gone, meaningless and yet kept alive. That is a horrific thought.

What is seeing me through this is facing the truth of the matter and going through whatever it is to accept it and then plan what I can for the next years when my environment and people around matter most. After that, I pray each night (some times for hours in tears) to help me let go of the reins and trust in the divine, and to give hope and help to all in need.

We are no different in our disease than cancer or heart disease or mental illness or all the other things that happen to  people from birth to old age. I am not meaning happy talk or positive thinking. I mean facing the fact of all life, it always ends to make room for new life. I used to feel I was getting rid of my stuff but now think of giving it to someone to love and enjoy. I train to open my heart to the experience of loss and fear and go forward knowing we are all going to original loving home.

There is no way out, it is shock, the shock when faced will bring clarity to the rest of your life - and there may yet be a cure. Nothing is certain, it never was.

jereo
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 5:06 PM

Tyrone, have you never been to a doctor about your problems? You really need to see a good doctor, pronto. If it's ALZ they can prescribe medications that will work wonders. Please, DO IT!

× Close Menu