Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
the neuro psych my doc wants me to goto.wont take my insurance: ( ..
vrswesley
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:05 AM

so my doc has to find another one  to send me to. I have medicare/ medicaid..they dont take medicaid..grrrrrr. I also had a friend yelling at me telling me that I dont have dementia because well Im griveing my husband recent death... and also Im on alot of other meds and irt could  bee those causing the problems... .. I agree these are possiblilities but i want to get cked out just in case.. I know Ive gotten worse lately in the last 6? weeks and.. I dont know whats up. As I said I dont think it hurts to ck it out  but her yelling at me doesnt help. I am so scared..I cant relax.. and Im extemely tired.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:04 PM

Who said you are facing dementia?  I agree with your friend, you have many factors in your life that could be affecting your memory, cognition, and overall functioning.  A knowledgeable PCP could help you begin your evaluation by testing for common nutritional and hormonal problems and other medical problems, and reviewing your current medications for cognitive side effects. 

Are you going through menopause or perimenopause?  Grief can cause these symptoms, also.  Your friend's yelling won't help the situation. 

Keep reading the diagnostic information in the main alz.org page.   Write down all the symptoms that you are experiencing, along with all the prescription and non-prescription medications you are taking.  There is a checklist to take to the doctor. 

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_doctors_visit_checklist.asp

You can call your local chapter and ask if they can direct you to an Alzheimer's Disease Research Center or another neurologist who accepts Medicaid.  They are around.  Then you can take your medical records from your PCP.  In fact, your PCP may be able to refer you to a knowlegeable dementia neurologist.

Iris L.

vrswesley
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:22 PM

my neurologist thinks I might be..he want me cked for dementia.. that is what he said.he said he wants me to have a neuro psych eval and a ct scan..I was surprised..i asked him what he was looking for and he said dementia.... at this point I want to be cked out just to be careful and know. but I hadnt expected him to say that at all. I just though he should know what was going on....
Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:21 PM

Keep looking.
Is there a large teaching hospital with a dementia department anywhere that you can get to? You want the best, not the most convenient.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:48 PM

vrswesley wrote:
my neurologist thinks I might be..he want me cked for dementia.. that is what he said.he said he wants me to have a neuro psych eval and a ct scan..I was surprised..i asked him what he was looking for and he said dementia.... at this point I want to be cked out just to be careful and know. but I hadnt expected him to say that at all. I just though he should know what was going on....

I'm confused.  Has your neurologist already evaluated you for the conditions that mimic dementia that I discussed above?  Usually dementia is diagnosed after the other conditions have been ruled out or treated.

Iris L.

vrswesley
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:18 AM

Im a little confused too.. but ill try to explain.  I have been having symptoms..I think I listed them already.. ifyou want  to.. actually i may again cause Ive though of more... just today as Ive read this site...but Ive been having alot of memory problems..Im already on disabilit, have been for yrs for several reasons. plus I go to the doc alot. but in the last 6? weeks some memory stuff has gotten alot worse. I wanted to go to my family doc, but just didnt have time or energy(I will be seeing her soon). But I had an appt with my as I call him my headache doc- Ive been getting migrains for yrs and yrs. he is helping with them.. actually they have gotten worse latly too. But I realized that when I couldnt go see my family doc....that I had an appt with my headache doc and that he is a neurologist..I felt that he was the kind of doc I needed to see any way, and that when I saw him for my headaches-I just bring up my other symptoms too.  as we talked he asked alot of questions and then said he wanted to send me for a neuropsych evaluation. I asked why and what was he looking for.. and he said dementia. He is also senting me for a ct scan to look for tumors. he was going to send me for labs but my family doc had already ordered those for other reasons. She does every three months. Im do again tommorrow.-well monday morning. but he looked up the old(3 months back) labs and noticed that my blood hemoglobin and hremocrite was very low..would explain why Im dso tired.. but thats not his area- he asked me to talk to my family doc about that... I promised i will.. I see her next week. I also just found out.. I have a 9 mm something in my breast, so we are doing tests for that too this week. could be nothing.. or not.we'll see...  so  He my neurologist is just trying to figure out hat is wrong- if anything.. my thought is have the tests.... it will ease my mib=nd.. to have an expert look into it..yes it could be the stress of dan dying, or just normal aging...but he is concerned enought , so I want to let them ck me out..I do live in a college town and live near some very good hospitals.. so ..they should be able to find somebody with good expertise that takes medicaid.. does get frustrateing sometimes. because.. the case workers at dhs(the state) dont realise how hard it is sometimes to get doctors to take medicaid...but thats another soap box...my point is I shouldnt have to settle.. and get a bad doc just to find someone whowill take my insurance.I havre alot of good doctors all but one takes medicaid.(I started seeing herbefore I got insrance)..

here are the symptoms Ive noticed

I wonder if these are caused by my present medication(im on about 30 meds a day) or age..its so weird.. like Ill lose the word but come up with one in the “neighborhood” of the word-example ..walking Toki, my dog, down Marsh rd, we walk past a bus stop.. try to say the word out loud, it comes out bus station (its NOT a bus station!). Or recently I said I was going to put my unfinished dinner in the vacuum! I knew what I meant..just couldn’t say it right. Not quite the right words...not saying this is serious ..just happens a lot, lately especial..I turned 50 on the 15th. Other word memory problems but like I said.. just irritating. Ive been calling billboards, commersals for years. And segments on shows like "60 minutes" , articals... cant get the word for it right but im in the ball park.

One other thing I’ve been having trouble with.. well first it was forgetting if I took my meds.. so I put them in those boxes-so Id know if Id taken them. Then a couple of weeks ago I was setting up my boxes for the week and I noticed they didn’t close right.. I cked and Id put too many of some drugs in them. That scared me..if I hadnt notice I could have died from the over dose! so now I have someone help me.. we do it together.....once there in ..I’m OK. Another thing I do is discribe the thing when I cant say the words..example, the big box that you put things in to make them cold..(frig).. that one Ive been doing for I dont know how long.. with other things too..always losing words..I start using my hands to discribe things because I cant get the word out. Other times Im fine. My biggest complaint about it is maybe be it nothing but it just seems to have gotten so much worse so fast, just lately.

I am grieving my husbands resent death. I wonder if that is the problem? Dan died from kidney failure 8 months ago- Im devestated..

I expected dr masih to just say it was old age or meds or stress.. but he didnt.. so.. now I just want to get it cked out just to be safe.

Does any of this make sense? I hope Ive explained better.

Sorry my typing is so bad..always has been.. I have actually tried to go back and fix typos.. but i know I havent caught them all. you wouldnt know im a very smart lady.. just cant spell or type.

sorry this goit so long but I hope it makes more sense now.

thankyou

violet

Myriam
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:38 AM

Violet, what you've written all makes sense. You are doing the right thing by getting yourself thoroughly checked out and getting a diagnosis. It sounds like you live alone, but that you have someone checking up on you regularly. What kind of services are you receiving?  For example, are you receiving Meals on Wheels, or do you still cook for yourself. Do you have a support group that you attend? I think in another thread or board I may have suggested that you call the of the Alzheimer's Association for assistance. The number is 800-272-3900.
vrswesley
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:45 AM

Since Dan died yes I live alone but I have friends that I see everyday and who help me and I them. plus Im approved for an aide through medicaid-tenporarily dont have one.. need to find a new one...the state will pay for that...good ones are hard to find.. dont need any boduy all the time.. but to help with some stuff..I am physically handdicapped too. I have a service dog and a cat. my babys. yes I cook for myself-not a problem at this point. .. just..I have a question.. if I call them, the alz people what will they say or do.. Ive very shy.. new stituations a hard.. can you give me any idea what they can and might do?

thankyou for all,

violet

Myriam
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:00 PM

Violet, the people who answer the Help Line will listen to what you have to say about what is going on with you, then give you information and guidance. Make sure you have paper and pen handy to take notes. 

Ask for referals for highly qualified doctors who may be able to diagnose you. Are you on Medicaid? Let the person on the Help Line know. 

vrswesley
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:22 PM

thankyou miriam, Im on medicare/medicaid. I will call the alz number and see if they know good neuropsych's in my area or wherever(there really should be-I dont live in the "sticks"! plus I lve within 15?  or less min of a major univercity, Michiain State Univercity or for that matter an hour or so from university of michigan , also a major university and ann arbor a little farther that is also super good..in other words there should be a nuero psych who is good and takes my insurance.  : ))

trhankyou

vrswesley
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:37 PM

I called the alz phone # disnt  talk long.. but they are going to send my info to the local (mi) chapter, and they are going to find me a nueropsych that takes my insurance- if my doc cant find one hes happy with(Id rather he find one just cause he knows me and knows what I need.)  but if He cant Ill give them what the alz people sugjest.he can take it from there.
Myriam
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 2:40 AM

Good for you, Violet!

× Close Menu