Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
activities!! PLEASE!!
ashleymaran
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:16 PM

I need some ideas on activities for Alzheimer's please!!
Myriam
Posted: Friday, April 4, 2014 8:26 PM

Hi, Ashley. Most, if not all of us on the I have Alzheimer's or the Early Onset boards are in the early stage of the disease. I'm not aware of anyone who is currently in a long term care facility, or even in assisted living, though that may be possible. 

But if you would like our response as to what activities we would wish for when the time comes, I will speak for myself to say, First: that I'm safe, well cared for, and allowed to express my wishes and that my wishes be met as long as they are healthy, safe fun and within reason. Second, that I am addressed by my name, respected and considered a person regardless of the stage I'm in. Third, that I am given activities that make me giggle and laugh, and that gets my heart pumping and makes me break into a sweat...safely, of course. 

I hope others will chime in with suggestions and ideas. 

TheoT
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 1:39 PM

I live in an assited living facilitity. The staff supervised a painting progect for the "Memory Care" people. It turned out to be one of the best theropies they ever tried.
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 2:23 PM

Welcome back, TheoT!  I'm glad you're enjoying the painting project at your assisted living center.  It's great to be active. 

I hope you can continue to join us.  We'll be looking for you!

Iris L.

eloquentsolution
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:49 PM

my mom loved gardening and riding in the car.
alz+
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 2:29 PM

what are person's interests?

Love the previous responses. I would use your imagination for different types of people.

My father was a business owner and loved to sit at a big desk with a check book, envelopes, a notebook and pen. He was very "at home" at his desk.

so think in terms of the person's life interests...

gardeners - break up potted soil, rake, weeding, watering plants, visiting gardens, books with pictures of lowers, picking vegetables, raking lawn or leaves and so on

fisherman(woman) - sorting (safe) tackle boxes, fish tank, aquarium, sitting on pier to hear sound of water lapping, holding a fishing pole in a stream or lake

musician/music lover - good radio, headphones, recorded concerts, strumming guitar, singing

artist - we all are - painting, clay, fabric store browsing, art shows, so on

sorting - buttons, coins, cards, marbles, mail as in "mail"

cooks - crock pot therapy - help them add stuff to crock pot and check on it.

woodworker - it was a joke at first but I would sit now and whittle wood with a rubber knife, someone must know what you can do with wood without a chain saw or power tool or sharp edge?

stuff you do not want to do - cleaning the vacuum cleaner, washing tires, brushing out car seats and floors, hanging laundry on line, folding laundry, shining shoes, washing windows, brushing dog, put out bird seed, helping make beds.

always show appreciation when we do something for you! A woman at my church asked me to throw out the paper cups after coffee, when I did she gave me a hug and said Thank you! I just HATE to do that." I still remember feeling useful. We want to feel useful! Let that guide you.

mark jones
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 2:48 PM

My wife was in physical rehab awhile back and she enjoyed the stationary recombent bike, as well as knocking a ballon back and forth.
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 6:55 PM

Hi, If you call the 1-800 272-3900 help line, you can have a conversation. So much depends on the person's mental and physical capabilities. You want to capitalize on their interests and abilities. You do not want them to get frustrated. Activities like art that do not have set goals are great. 'Theo T. may be referring to the Aliz. Assoc.s "Memories in the Making."  Plain paper and tempora paint, as opposed to watercolor, are great for this.

× Close Menu