Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
"Baby" Monitor
Kathy43
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 7:25 PM

My 84 year old Mom is late stage 5 & can't be left alone anymore.  I have caregivers when I go to work, otherwise I am with her. She also can't walk without a walker, but guess what, she can't remember to use it.  I know that will never change, so have any of you bought some type of audio/video monitor that I could put in her room so that even by the light of a nightlight I could see when she is starting to get up?

The thing is I've been doing 24/7 for 14 months & I would like to steal some time back for me.  I think it would be good for me to resume walking on the treadmill, but I can't hear her pressure pad alarm go off while on the treadmill, so maybe if I get some type of monitor that I can watch & listen to while on the treadmill???

Any help would be appreciated.
bluepenguin1601
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 7:40 PM

WHen I had my first child I bought a video monitor made by Summer Infant. Very basic, but infared camera so that you can see her in the dark, decent range for reception, the screen is a good size with a good picture, rechargeable battery, and you can turn the picture off while still leaving the audio on. The camera can be set on top of a dresser/table top or mounted on the wall and it does swivel/bend so that you can get the best view. I bought it at Babies R Us for around $100, which in researching the video monitors seems to be about average. It's been dropped, kicked, thrown, swung around like a yo-yo and it is still going strong 6 years later. 
TessC
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 8:15 PM

I bought this and it works even in low light.

SMART CAREGIVER TL-5102MP Motion Sensor And Pager

bluepenguin1601
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 11:46 PM

Summer Infant Video Baby Monitors on Amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=summer%20infant%20video%20monitor&sprefix=summer+i%2Caps%2C1181
Kathy43
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 8:11 PM

Thanks everyone
PhoenixKatt
Posted: Monday, November 3, 2014 6:50 PM

I'm glad I looked through the first few thread titles because I was just going to ask something similar!

Now that dad and I have a routine going with my mom who has been officially diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia, we are finding that as she begins eating again (yay) she now has the ability to get up during the night while we are sleeping (boo). She is fall prone, having taken several bad spills already, so we are looking for some type of alert that will wake us if she gets up when we aren't awake or near.

I was looking at the bed pad types but they come with (too light) warnings and with her weighing only 91 lbs currently that isn't an option.

Tess C, how has that sensor been for you and is it extremely loud as the reviews suggest? That is the one I was just debating over but I'd certainly be interested in other options as well and who better to understand what you need and why but you guys!

bluepenguin1601
Posted: Monday, November 3, 2014 7:30 PM

Phoenix,

With your mom being so light you may could try the motion pads for baby & toddlers. I never used one but it might work better for you than one for adults.

Kathy43
Posted: Monday, November 3, 2014 7:38 PM

I don't know how it would work with your Mom's weight, but I recommend the pressure pad that is designed for a chair rather than the one designed for the bed.  The one for the bed is maybe 3 feet long & if the person moves at all it goes off.  I use the chair one just under my Mom's behind in bed & it works well.  It is pretty loud.  I hear it in the next room if the TV is not real loud.  I even think it would work for your Mom (it can be activated by just accidentally leaning on it)...
TessC
Posted: Monday, November 3, 2014 7:51 PM

It works great for me. I use it when she is in bed as well as if I have her in a chair. I can go in another room and hear when she gets up and get back to her before she gets into to something, or possibly fall. It is loud but I put mole skin over the speaker holes and when I am in bed I put it under the extra pillow on my bed and it is nicely muffled. It has been a godsend- I can get things done and even sleep more soundly knowing I will be awaken if she gets out of the bed.
1caliqueen
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:00 PM

Kathy I use a "Drive-Way Alarm" it works great its loud has low and high alerts.  I placed the motion sensor just on top of the baseboard closest the the floor next to moms bed, so when she puts her foot onto the floor to get out of bed it alerts me.

Prior to that I had the sensor mounted (hot glued) to the side of the wall heater by her bedroom door pointed at her bed so when she made any movements it would alert me that she is active...and may be getting out of bed, or just trying to get comfortable in bed.  

Having this alarm has allowed me to get more done around the house and outside of the house...it has a long distance in which it can alert, which has really allowed me to be outside more often. You can get them at HARBOR FREIGHT for around $15-$20.  

I hope this information helps....

Kathy43
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 8:47 AM

Thanks again
heidi9165
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:59 PM

Hi All - I don't post much, but do find support in reading all your posts, makes you feel less alone.  I want to give a shout out BIG TIME to TessC for your suggestion of the SMART CAREGIVER TL-5102MP Motion Sensor And Pager.  

Like many of you, I was at my wits end with Mom getting out of bed in the middle of the night and roaming the house - although everything is baby proofed and there are dead bolts on all the doors high above her reach, it still did not stop her from eating an entire stick of butter, taking bread/rolls out of bags and throwing all over the house, etc.  I admit there are nights when I just pass out from exhaustion and don't hear her.  I did not want a baby monitor, because that would not help me rest - all of I would hear is the constant talking/repetitive noises she makes even while sleeping, and if I do hear her up, she's already out of bed, around the house and now WIDE awake - getting her back to sleep takes another hour.  

This little device - only 35 bucks on Amazon - oh LORD I wish I saw Tess' post sooner.  I have it on the floor at an angle where Mom only has to attempt to get out of bed, the laser catches it and the beeper goes off in my room.  I have had 4 nights of sound sleep in a row because I can rest knowing if she tries anything, I'm on it! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I highly recommend this product!

xo

Heidi

APRESTON5
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:36 PM

Ditto to Heidi!!! I have been struggling with this same issue recently and I didn't even know something like this little gadget existed!! Even if I choose to pick a different brand/style/whatever, at least this has opened up a whole new world of ideas on how I can combat this ongoing issue of midnight adventures while I am asleep! This is such a great community for me and I am beginning to not feel quite as alone in this uphill battle!! Thank you all for being willing to offer support!!
TessC
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:21 AM

Heidi-glad I finally helped someone It is good for when they are in a chair, too. I'm no longer tied to the same room she is in. Another handy piece of equipment for LO who wants tub baths instead of showers, is a bathtub lift. Wow-it helps my back and there is less chances of falls. Since I want to keep mother at home as long as possible, if I see something that will help me accomplish that-I get it. My next purchase will be a dining chair with arms and wheels like they have in many AL dining rooms. It would be easier for me to get mother right up to the table. Right now I have to move the table to her! Good luck to us all!
heidi9165
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 5:16 PM

Oooooh yes, an adult dining room chair with wheels - I agree and will start looking. We are always moving the table all over the place too!
Redsd1
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 9:24 AM

This won't be for everyone, but it has helped me to date. What I'm currently using isn't ideal, but it helps me. I have three cameras (I have "Foscam IP Cameras") aimed at Dad's easy chair where he spends most of his time (I've had this for a couple years now), his bathroom and his bed. When I leave the house I can look at him from my Ipad and know that he's alive and safe. At night, I can be in bed and if I hear something just look at the camera feed and see that he is in bed, and if not I look at the bathroom camera and there he is.  Our walls are thin, and I hear him get up most of the time.  I looked for a motion sensor, but hadn't found one I was satisfied with yet. A friend is going to give me one he has. I bought a cheap baby monitor recently, but it went through batteries daily and as mentioned above, I really don't need to hear him tossing and turning and talking in his sleep.

This camera setup requires a computer and WIFI in the house, and the Foscam people were good at helping me with settings. If you aren't tech savy though, don't bother.  I know people that use the "Dropcam" to watch their parrots. They are more expensive but MIGHT be more user friendly. Having this camera in the house has made my life a little easier by lessening my anxiety.

bela
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:50 AM

adult chairs with rollers...well there are an abundance of cushiony office chairs to explore.  They often have high back for back support and come with or without arm rests.  They are often adjustable hence perfect for dining or at a desk.  Bing.  I think we have hit the jackpot on this one. Recently at a garage sale i obtained at no cost a living room chair that the previous owner added wheels to...

precisely what we need.refuse to have mom in a wheel chair all day

× Close Menu