Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
New York State Stinks
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 7:22 PM
Joined: 3/4/2014
Posts: 32

Trying to help out a 95 year old with Alzheimer's end stage.  New York State Tax folks claim she owes $ on 2010 state taxes and with no previous  notification  they decided to contact all  banks and brokerage firms she has accounts with and demand their money.  Several indeed sent the tax people checks for the disputed amount.  Now the tax folks have been sent five times the disputed amount which has created quite a mess to try to figure out because when you call they won't speak to you only to the taxpayer.  When I explained she is 95 with Alzheimer's they say have her sign their six page power of attorney form.

This is something she is unable to do - she does not know what a pen is for.  So I guess they will just keep all the money.  Problem is these accounts provide the funding to keep her in her home with 24 hour care and she doesn't owe them a cent!  You can dispute this but wait time is four to five months before an appeal appointment can be made!  I am now in the process of doing this form for myself as I have Alzheimer's.  I thought I had already taken all necessary legal steps re power of attorney but never would have thought I needed to do a separate one for New York State Department of Taxation so be warned if you live in NYS they have no heart. 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 8:00 PM
Joined: 12/15/2011
Posts: 18519

What a mess!  I don't even know how to begin to advise you.  I had a similar problem a few years ago--thousands $$$ were removed from my bank account.  I was sent notification but due to my illness I had not been in the habit of opening my mail.  I finally had to get an enrolled agent to help me clear up the tax situation.  It took a few weeks but it eventually got resolved. 


Could this be a case of identity theft?  Who is handling this person's finances and prior tax forms?  You might need to hire an enrolled agent.  NYS should have an office that helps taxpayers with their tax problems.  See if they could help you.

Iris L. 

Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:15 AM
Joined: 12/6/2011
Posts: 3326

wwkayaker, have you tried contacting the Alzheimer's Association chapter where she lives? Maybe they've come across a similar situation or have references where you can get the information you need.
Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:18 AM
Joined: 12/9/2011
Posts: 13608

You can reach the Alzheimer's Assn. at (800) 272-3900.   Ask to speak to a Care Consultant.  Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and they can be very helpful.


In all probability, the best way to slog through this will be with an attorney.  I would probably want to consult a tax attorney and an elder law attorney as well.  The tax attorney can probably find a way to cut through the red tape and get a swifter result.



× Close Menu