Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Preventing Alzheimer's Disease--What Do We Know? from the National Institute on Aging
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2015 4:07 PM

Dd197 posted this booklet on the Spouse/Partner board.

We are on the right track with Best Practices . People who eat healthfully, exercise, and keep mentally and socially active have less rates of Alzheimer's

Here is a link to the 28 page booklet:

http://www.nia.nih.gov/sites/default/files/preventing_alzheimers_disease_0.pdf

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2015 6:46 PM

Thanks, Iris

Of course this pamphlet perpetuates one of my pet peeves: How to prevent Alzheimer's .

At this time my personal belief that the goal is impossible.

But what needs to be headlined is what can be done for the patient after diagnosis.

Instead of the doom and gloom of NOTHING CAN BE DONE, WE NEED TO SPEAD THE WORD THAT SOMETHING CAN BE DONE.

Granted that to have the most success, one must be diagnosed early and the patient must have the will to be proactive in their own care. And an important part of that proactivity is the incorporation of Best Practices into the patient's daily life.

However, I'm also beginning to change my mind about those patients who are not capable of being proactive. I am coming to believe that the family and/or facilities in which the patients live can do something. Some physical and cognitive exercises can be incorporated into their daily living. Many of the aspects of the Mediterranean diet can be incorporated into their diet. Those of you familiar with Bob DeMarco's blog are aware of how he led his protesting mother into the gym, the swimming pool and the neighborhood eating spot. Her behavior and her well being changed for the better as he slowly developed his vision on her best care.

Why are we not analyzing/doing a study on the progress of those of us who are doing these Best Practices?

Paul Hornback
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 1:14 PM

Iris, thanks for posting this link.

Mimi S, right on! I could not have said it better. Following the best practices, trying to take control of my fight against the disease, and be proactive have made all the difference in my life with dementia. Of course, I was diagnosed early but these new habits have been truly beneficial to my outlook on the disease, my emotional health, and my slow downward progression.

God Bless, Paul

Dd197
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:34 PM

It was speculated that my hubby's AZ was brought on by a combination of pulmonary emboli, diabetes, inactivity and his complacency in that after he retired he would rather sit around than exercise and keep his mind active. So after the diagnosis over 2 years ago, and at stage 4, he follows all the best practices and this has made a huge difference in his physical and cognitive health. Many who suffer from a variety of illnesses are unable or unwilling to exercise. Paul, like you, my hubby has taken control on how he fights this disease. He has arthritis, celiac disease, a blood clotting disorder, and scoliosis. He fought it at first but now it has become a lifestyle. It's a struggle every day but he has the determination to slow down this beast called Alzheimers. He's doing remarkably well at 70. I'm so proud of him. The medications I think have helped in also slowing the progression down a bit. He cannot drive, lost most of his ability to read, struggles with speech and spacial skills but keeps strong those skills that are still intact.

× Close Menu