RSS Feed Print
Away From Her
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 5:21 PM

I was feeling very depressed this afternoon. I know why, but won't elaborate.

It's too hot here for me to be outside so I decided to watch a movie I'd ordered.

I put it on and there was an Alzheimer's Assoc. Ad. I thought it was strange. They must have a new form of advertising. Still strange.

The movie opened with beautiful scenes of a couple cross-country skiing. A favorite activity of mine. It turned out to be one of those modern films, sometimes I can figure out what's going on and sometimes I lose track.

The film switched to the couple inside. I did take note when the wife left the kitchen to do something and he took the frying pan from the refrigerator and put it in it's proper place. Oh no. This is not the movie I wanted to see this afternoon, but I continued watching.

I'm not recommending that any of you watch.

It was the wife who had the dementia and yet it was she who insisted she needed to move into Assisted Living.

Scenes of the neuro testing, which she failed. She was still more ready to believe than he was.

The ALF did not allow visitors for a month! I screamed in my head ...don't do it. An aide said she didn't know if she agreed with the policy and gave him her cell phone number to call anytime. The aide and he became good friends. She helped him understand what was going on.

The wife forms an attachment with another patient and he forms a brief attachment with the guy's wife.

Through it all, he loves his wife with a never ending love.

The wife received an Oscar nomination for her role.

I used many tissues but watched to the end.

No one has posted here for a week. I felt like writing about it and this would be a safe place to post.

GwenD
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 10:53 AM

Mimi what was the name of the movie so we can avoid?
GwenD
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 10:54 AM

now i see it in your topic. Saw it, pretty hard to watch.
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 1:02 PM

yes, much of it was too close to the truth.

Except:
She was the one who accepted her diagnosis. he kept looking for hope that it wasn't.

She was the one who pushed for the Assisted living.

And the ALF was fairly typical of better places.

And the relationship between patients is fairly common. Sandra Day O'Connor experienced it

Lisa Ramey
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 3:48 PM

Mimi,
I just don't bother with any movies at all. I can't stay focused on them. Sorry for your experience
Lisa Ramey

× Close Menu