RSS Feed Print
Book The Myth of Alazheimer's
alz+
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 5:25 AM

read this book in 5 hours, could not put it down.

The Myth Of Alzheimer's - what you are not being told about today's most dreaded diagnosis

by Peter J Whitehouse MD

author Dr Whitehouse has treated dementia patients for many years. He describes the stuff I thought was original with my views in medical and human terms.

In regards to early onset, he only mentioned a gene, the rest of the book is about how money has corrupted the medical and research world from the very beginning of the plaques and tangles theory and the idea there is a cure waiting.

His sense was that there is no cure to be found because this is an aging brain, normal, and that the treatment for the condition is loving care in a safe and active setting - where he feels money should be spent.

I remember a famous man talking about his dementia and his doctor saying "It's not the end of the world" or something close to that and how the man then brought his mri stacks of his shrinking brain to the doctor.

I am still bit slow thinking but I was cheering out loud as I read this book.

comments on amazon were pro and con, some people thought he was saying nothing is happening to a person with dementia. He is putting dementia into a historical and worldwide perspective, and asking for people to realize no one knows what causes this, it has been with humanity for recorded time, is as natural as any other disease process, that the person does NOT disappear or become vacant and to keep shoveling money and hysteria to drug companies and research would be better spent helping people handle the work of caring for someone with cognitive loss in a friendlier gentler way.

I loved the book. His take on Best Practices seemed more to prevent or delay dementia. He felt it helpful to not to use "Alzheimer's" as a diagnosis, to keep living your own best life, esp finding ways to give back to others in need by volunteering or participating in life even if one's thinking is slow or memory challenging. He encourages his patients to enjoy living.

The end of life for all of us can by tough, but living with dementia does not have to mean the anxiety, depression and anger that so many people experience. While no drugs cure the condition, the way we are treated makes or breaks us - as in most illnesses.

Really interesting. I ordered a variety of books to make available locally through the library a section on dementia.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 6:44 AM

title is The Myth of Alzheimer's

by Peter J Whitehouse MD

available on amazon and any online book seller.

He describes how dementia has been around for 100,000 years and how it became "Alzheimer's Disease" and how that has become focused on finding a CURE through drugs so all money goes to "research" and testing, medicalized, and how that is fueled by making it out to be an ugly tragedy that destroys lives, which is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Except for the person living with dementia who suffers. Recommends money spent on community programs to help share burden of day to day life when you can no longer drive or handle finances etc.

Again, the treatment for dementia is a kind acceptance and support that helps the person living with dementia not be in fear but live their best life.

sad hubby
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 4:15 PM

Anything, including all diseases, can be monetized in a society that worships financial wealth.
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 6:06 PM

fear of medical debt - people mention it on boards all the time.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 8:55 AM

I know Peter and he is a very nice guy. He is also wrong in many of his views as most will tell you. He an I have learned to disagree.
Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 8:36 PM

Hi Alz+,
When you first wrote about the book, I got it on inter-library loan ad read it cover to cover.

i would not recommend the book because it seems as though he disagrees that there is something called Alzheimer's.In fact he doesn't and actually praises the work of the Association.

we know what we have. if a patient can't face the use of the word, why make an issue of it.

I did agree with a lot that he wrote about.He is a great fan of what we call Best practices, which he doesn't. he advocates each and every Practice.

I think he does believe in using the various available meds.

There are some areas in which I disagreed. Don't ask me what. I kept notes, but most have thrown them out. I do remember I did not his term ; something like disease of the aging or whatever he called it. We struggle to educate folks about the difference between normal aging and dementia. His writing tries to negate that effort.

And of courser, I'm always suspicious of anyone who claims to know it all.

So, I guess my advice is: know it's a very long book and read with discretion. Take what will work for you.

Eden Desjardins
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 11:34 AM

While his theory certainly seems valid, the references he provided aren't that solid. He also doesn't try to provide a solution but rather.. seems to be set on accepting his fate. I'd rather not follow a theory guided by such principles.
alz+
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 2:08 PM

we all read different books it seems!

the Alzheimer's Myth - as I understood it - was very compassionate and his explanation about how the term "Alzheimer's" was given to mean a collection of dementia symptoms was summed up in one woman's brain exam a hundred years ago.

Loved it, also love to question authority. Do not know who the Know I t All referenced in comments is supposed to be. No one was forced to read it, take a breath eh?

alz+
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 3:06 PM

Michael Ellenbogen wrote:
I know Peter and he is a very nice guy. He is also wrong in many of his views as most will tell you. He an I have learned to disagree.

how cool you know so many people I wish I could meet!

One thing I have come to know over past 45 years of having health problems and plenty of misdiagnosis from medical world and paying in more ways than dollars for wrong treatments - I am better off finding what works for me.

Since there is no science to say exactly what dementia is and since science keeps looking at plaques and tangles because that was what was found in one person's autopsy 100 years ago, and since Dr Whitehouse treated many people and saw what made them suffer and what made them do better - I'll take his views over what has created a nursing home penal colony.

I would not bet the rent I understood and remember all that was in his book, maybe I misinterpreted some things.

It is fine to disagree that way we cover all the bases!

alz+
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 3:17 PM

Eden Desjardins wrote:
While his theory certainly seems valid, the references he provided aren't that solid. He also doesn't try to provide a solution but rather.. seems to be set on accepting his fate. I'd rather not follow a theory guided by such principles.

Did I misunderstand his "solution" is acceptance and a loving appropriate to the individuals environment?

as we all follow what feels right to us, and share our experiences and the changes me make to live better longer, or just better perhaps, it adds up to a grand amount of information for others sharing our condition.

I am not asking people to dissect the book for me, I just always wonder if I totally missed something when other people have very different views.

I have been wrong about so many things. Hope you post more often!

× Close Menu