Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends(19)
Lorita
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 9:22 AM

Happy June to everyone,

Can you all believe it's already June - before we know it we'll be talking about how cold it is. But, the very hot and humid weather is yet to come - at least here.

This morning started off with a bang. I woke up before six and went out to see if Christy was okay - she is. Came back and fixed cat food, after I got it out of the car, and took a bottle or rather half a bottle of colostrum out to the new baby. She and her mom were still laying down. She took the half bottle after a bit of coaxing, then I tried the teat that I thought had colostrum yesterday but it was bloody this morning. I called the vet to talk with him about it and he said what came out yesterday may have been infection because it was so thick and maybe that's why the baby won't take that one. She did latch onto the one behind and stayed on a while so she must have been getting some milk. Didn't get to check the other two.

After I came back from seeing what I could of the girls - they were already in an inaccessible place for the CW so I'll have to assume they're okay, I was bringing the CW through the gate and heard a noise. The baby was going through the fence to the pasture where we have the hay. For some reason almost every calf we have out north of the house for a while manages to get through that fence. Leanne - you know little calves can just walk through fences - but getting them back through is a horse of a difference color. I didn't want to cut her back with the barbed wire so after many tries, got her down on the ground and pushed her through. Mom was right there trying to help. After all of that I was hot and exhausted so came in for a cup of hot tea and to start this new thread for June.

I did call my sister - wouldn't answer the cell phone but did finally answer her landline. She was very cool when I asked if she was already up. Then, when I asked how she was, she said "I'm surprised you even wanted to know" and hung up. I'll talk with her granddaughter in a little while and then call CIT. Don't know what else to do. Last night she told me she was so confused and even went across the street to ask the neighbors if they knew her. They got her back home and reassured her that was her house. I think she's sundowning.

I think, maybe if things work out all right, I'll take Stormy over to get his shots. Hopefully, this week I can get Sheena over to be spayed.

I'm relaxing right now for a bit, drinking my hot tea and getting ready for some chocolate cheerios.

Today's Lesley Jean's surgery - may already be having it. Hopefully, things will go well and her husband won't even notice she's been gone.

Hope all of you have a good Monday. I took the trash down last night and I'm always so glad on Monday morning that I've done that.

I'll be back later today. Leanne, didn't see a post from you yesterday - must have been really busy. I think you're going to get more rain this week - so no irrigating!

Mulelady
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 11:14 AM

Good morning,
No, Lorita, no irrigating. The wheel line is tied to the fence and will stay that way for a while. We have more rain on the way this afternoon. Then toward mid-week we have a moisture plume from the gulf of Mexico, on from Calif and one from Wash. all converging here. I am no longer hoping for rain. I let my horses back into the little barn pasture and am giving them some hay. They really don't want to eat it because they prefer the grass, but I don't want anyone foundered. I can't bring myself to lock them in that muddy corral.
Sounds like it has been busy at your house. Hope the new baby is getting some milk from mom soon. If she has a couple of good quarters, the baby will find them soon.
Maybe if you can, you could milk out the one that had in fection and get it to freshen. I'm sure she wouldn't let you insert a medicated straw in there. We used to do that with the milk cows and it cleared up infections fairly quickly.
Yup, calves can walk through one way, and then it's like the door closes and they can't see it anymore. I bet you were a mud ball. Was Stormy muddy too? He is so darn cute. The vet can give you some pills for the dogs that will kill their fleas for about 30 days. It also takes care of any internal parasites they might have.

The fleas! When Dawn was little, the kittens and dog that slept in her room got fleas. We got them killed on the animals, but they were under her bed and in the carpet and of course, in her bed. I used a bug bomb. It will kill all of the live fleas, but not the eggs. So I had to do it a couple of times at 1 week intervals until I got them all. I think they have a spray that will also kill the eggs as soon as they hatch.
I hope you can get someone out to help your sister, it sounds like she really cannot be there by herself any longer. If she isn't sure who or where she is, she could wander off and be lost. Much better to make her mad and get her some help. She is at the same place as if she had advanced alz with her phychosis. We know that someone in that state cannot take care of themselves and are in danger of being hurt. I know how hard that must be trying to do things over the phone.
I bet your landline is out because it is so wet. We have had trouble here in the past when it was really wet for a while.

Welcome to Katherina, I had a digital picture frame for Don, loaded a bunch of photos and he spent hours watching it.
Joan, Glad you got your lawn mowed. I got half of mine yesterday morning and will get the rest as soon as the dew dries a bit. Zane and I took my mowers and lawn sweeper and did his friends lawn. We really needed a baler! It was at least a foot tall, and so wet underneath.
Made two passes with the riding lawn mower to knock it down, then the sweeper kept plugging up because it was so wet. But we got it done. He and his wife were so pleased even though it looked kind of choppy from being so wet when we cut it. She brought us out home made lemonade and she and the kids were helping pick up grass and bag it. He couldn't do anything but watch, but was friendly and encouraging.
When we were done, it was 4pm and I had to give Zane a ride to pick up his car that just was fixed in Great Falls. I stopped and visited my mom for a few minutes then came home and it was already 7pm. The dogs thought they were starving. I finally looked in the mirror and realized just how dirty I was. The shower water was brown for a minute or two. It will be good to get my sewer cleaned on Friday. I will really have a pile of dirty clothes by then.
Db, Glad you got to graduation, even though it is a real process to get them out of the house. You need to get out too.
I better go out and finish mowing before the sky opens up again. Right now, the sun is shining. We usually don't deal with much humidity, but yesterday and so far today it is awful. I don't know how you folks in the humid areas can stand it. I sweat like a pig.
I better post this before I lose it. Hope everyone has a great day. Leanne

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 11:45 AM

Welcome to kindly June who will keep us feeling happy springtime BUT - July lurks around the corner just waiting to hit us with the dog days of summer . . . I am always delightedly relieved when those three months, July thru September pass; the more "mature" I get, the less I tolerate the grinding heat of deep summer.

A whole lot of planting going on and so many ads coming out with short shorts, tank tops, bathing suits and flip-flops. Here we go . . . . .!

For some reason, I do not recall what surgical procedure LJ was having today, but I still send out my best wishes for the very best outcome and swift healing.

Glad to hear Lorita's newest "baby" is doing well and that the little calf got back inside the fence without any trauma. What a big job with a whole lot of effort.

Well; I am going on to see how our Katrinka is doing. She needs us and will not have a lot of time to come to the social thread, so we need to go to her.

Have a really good day,

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 4:40 PM

Lorita...please be careful what hosp your sister goes to. Have you considered St Anthony South? I can look at some units for you.

Did you mean that your sister owns1/2 the farm where you live now?

Mrs. Braxton
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 8:59 PM

I had to laugh at your post Lorita. You and your sister sound like my Mom and her sisters. Well at least your sister does. What do you care and hung up and they did not have dementia....
I hope her grand daughter can help her. So I am not sure. your trying to have her move to a assisted living place ?
I am always glad when its the beginning of a month and you start a new thread.... I keep up for
awhile..
I am amazed how much you and Mulelady accomplish everyday. I dont know what I do, not much.
Well I am going to see if Katrinka and Lesley Jean posted today.

Good Night Ladies.💜
Angela

Lorita
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 10:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I haven't seen a post yet from Lesley Jean - hope things went all right.

Jo C - I hate those same months - it's always so hot and humid here. When I was growing up I think the temperatures were higher but not as much humidity. At that time we only had one big pond and a little one in the hog pasture and there was no Lake Eufaula. Having four ponds and the lake fairly close has made a real difference. It was hot and humid today and the rest of the week is going to be worse.

jfkoc - doesn't look very promising that we'll even be able to get my sister into a hospital. I called CIT and before her granddaughter could get over there, they had been there and left. She told Sarah that they stayed five minutes and she sent them away. I called them and finally a man called me back and they said they couldn't make her go to the hospital even if she had said she'd commit suicide if she had to go back. She has to say that to them when they're there before they can do anything. I think she made a similar statement last November and that's what got her into the hospital. The man also called and talked with Sarah and he gave her a couple of numbers to call that might be able to help. I'm going to call, too. Also called and left a message for the case worker she had last year. Guess we'll have to go through them again - but if she doesn't want them to come in, they can't. So, looks like we're between a rock and a hard place.

Sarah stayed a while this afternoon with her and she said she was as mad as hops. It's kind of like having a restraining order - they don't do anything until something happens.

Leanne - sounds like you had a busy day - glad you got the lawns mowed before you get more rain. The weather today said it looked really rainy in Montana. I bet you're glad you won't have to bother with irrigating for a while - maybe you'll have rain every couple of weeks all summer and won't have to at all. We have had a few summers like that.

Our weatherman said today that there were 68 tornadoes in Oklahoma during May - this was more than usual, and only ten days when we didn't have rain. It's still really muddy around the barn but with a few days like today, it'll dry up fast.

I took Stormy over to get his first shot today. He's beginning to walk pretty good on a leash. He weighed 14 pounds today. I also got a pill for fleas and ticks for him that will last 30 days and one for Bella and Susie that'll last three months. I'll give them tomorrow.

One of the girls gave Stormy her shot but I saw the vet at the desk and talked to him about the cow. I bought a couple of syringes of medicine to put in Penny's teat. This afternoon I tried to milk it but only got a little stream that was still bloody looking. I can't milk it out - then would have to put the medicine in and milk her backwards (finally got that through my head). Would have to do that two days - no way. I don't think she has milk in either of the front teats - and not too much in the back ones. I gave the baby a bottle this evening and she took it readily plus half a bottle of colostrum this morning. I may just let Penny out and take care of the baby myself. It's hard having three cows up and trying to feed Dolly extra.

I took Sheena out for a walk this afternoon to check the girls instead of taking the CW. The cows aren't used to her yet and she's kind of afraid of them. She barked at the little calf this morning when she got close to the yard fence and scared her. I think she believes the little calves are dogs.

I'm really aggravated at the turn of events today. Angela, we were thinking of an assisted living center or memory care center when she was able to leave the hospital but it looks like she won't even get into the hospital. You know, we've always been on good terms even being ten years apart in age. She got married when I was five so she wasn't around much when I was growing up. After we got older we've become pretty good friends - except when she gets psychotic, then she says she's the big sister and I'm the little one and I can't tell her what to do. Says I'm nosy. Maybe I am but I'm just trying to help her. Leanne, it is like dealing with someone with AD. No reasoning at all.

Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow - probably nothing. I'm going to have to call the phone company and have someone come out and check them, I guess.

I'm going to try to post another picture of Stormy and a couple of the yucca we have blooming. The prickly pears are next to the yucca but so far not too many blooms. But when they do bloom they're beautiful - about the size of the top of a mug and bright yellow but they only last one day. I may post one that has Christy in it. She's the one who hasn't calved yet. Someone asked how many more to go - I think three or four - not sure.

Hope you all have a good night.

File Attachment(s):
June 2015 - Yucca 004.JPG (109695 bytes)
June 2015 - Yucca 005.JPG (164226 bytes)
June 2015 - Yucca 006.JPG (162656 bytes)

lindebug
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 10:46 PM

Evening everyone,

Just call me frustrated...long post just went poof. So much for upgrades.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. As usual, Mike didn't remember. But sweet DIL told me that since he thinks it's 2013, that makes me two years younger. I like her thinking!

Took 220 pounds of yard waste to the dump today. Divided the iris clumps and did a bunch of weeding. Losing weight has made it a little easier to bend over but the muscles are still sore.

Lorita, Stormy is adorable. Sounds like you're going to be bottle feeding babies again. Sorry to hear that your sister is going through a bad stretch.

Leanne, sorry about sending the rain your way. We certainly could use it here. Hope you got your lawn mowed. It's always hard when it grows too tall.

Welcome Katherina. There's a lot of knowledge here that everyone is willing to share. It's nice to know we are not alone in this journey.

Jo, TV ads seem to be fantasy. Other than my 12 year old granddaughter, I don't know of too many folks who look good in those short shorts everyone seems to favor.

Better send this before it goes poof again. Everyone have a good evening,

Linde

Sasue
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 11:10 PM

Hi all, I feel bad for everyone dealing the rain and mud. We've had a couple of inches Sat and Sun. It's been cold, gloomy and rainy. The weatherman said last year on this date it was 90 degrees, today only 50's. At least the sun was out all day.
Well it's full moon time and strangely, I'm the one that gets crabby and out of patience. Rich stays even tempered. What the heck is that about.

Lorita, I'm glad you got the oral medication for the dogs fleas. I use the liquid on Casey each month. Stormy is so cute. He looks so cuddley. You'll need to vacuum the furniture several times to get rid of fleas and eggs. What about the cats?
I'm sorry your sister isn't doing well. I know you worry about her. Maybe the bad weather set her off. No sunshine for so many days and her being afraid of the storms. Looks like you have another bottle baby. Will you keep any of the babies this year? I thought of you the other evening, I was watching Nights in Rodanthe. I think you mentioned you liked that movie too.

Leanne I always learn something from you. Now I know about pie crust and raspberries. Raspberry jam is my favorite but I've never had raspberry pie.

Time to go, still have a load in the dryer. Hi to Joan, Twink (the puppy is so cute), Diane, Tanya, Bonnie, SandyMac, Linda, Angela, Linde, jfkoc, and sorry if I missed someone.

By the way, edit works for me using iPad.

Sandy

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 11:18 PM

Lorita you do have your hands full. Hopefully your sister will calm down and you can get her to the hospital. The puppy looks so cute and love the flowers with the pink tub in background.
Leane they said on the news earlier that the rains are heading for MT. Hopefully you won't get too much like we did.
Last night a Trooper that was trying to keep a couple guys safe had to shoot him. The two guys truck had stalled in water. Two trooper kept telling them to leave it and come to safety. They walked towards the troopers, and the one lunged at one Trooper, he knocked him down and was holding his head under water, the trooper shot him, the other guy was also arrested for trying to fight with the other Trooper. They had been drinking. Are people nuts?
Ya'll have way more energy than I do.
Bonnie

Sandymac
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:04 AM

Hey everyone...welcome to winter!!!
June 1 was cold and windy, and this morning we had a really big frost....not happy! I walk at 6.30 so it was hat gloves and scarf this am. But then we had an absolutely beautiful sunny day, so shouldn't complain.
I went to painting again...so far I can still go, but not sure how long I can keep it up. Even though I leave a BIG note saying where I am, and he was reading it when I got home, he asked where I had been.

Lorita, Stormy is just gorgeous. Even this animal ignoramus could take him on, with Sheena. What a problem you have with your sister, I do hope that things can be sorted out there. You must feel so helpless being so far away. But by the same token, you have to think of yourself too.......you are still getting yourself together. Hang in there though, and I know keeping busy with your animals is good for you. All those lovely babies around. It seems so strange that you are cultivating prickly pears...I know that their flowers are lovely, and many people eat the fruit, but here in Aus they are considered a weed, and we actually imported the cactoplastus beetle (think that's right) to kill them. In many places outback you see hundreds of them dead by the road.

We went out for lunch with two daughters and one granddaughter on Sunday. A Mothers Day for me and birthday for one daughter....she is 50 today, but still thinks she's 20. We're having a gettogether (not a party) for her on Sunday. It's a long weekend here, so that's a good day. Also having another one in a couple of weeks for a niece, then "Ballet Revolucion" at the end of the month, and I've arranged with DIL to go on a whale watching cruise some time soon. They head north this time of the year, and I've been promising myself we would go for years. Good times ahead!

Cheznut
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:56 AM

Lorita, I'm concerned about you, re sister, I join jfkoc's post re your farm,

I've got something to look forward to, my dau is flying me back to Michigan for a visit! I don't like flying, ha, have to chg planes, fly into traverse city..

AC is finally working, seems like I can't handle heat any more!!

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:10 AM

Morning,

Roxy, I'm glad you're doing better and are going to get to make the trip to Michigan to visit your daughter. I think I'd probably be afraid to fly by myself. I've only made one trip by air and I enjoyed it but don't think I'd ever do it again. I know you'll really have a good time.

Today has not started off well. Last night at MN when I checked Christy (she's still okay) I didn't see Penny's baby anywhere. It was too dark to look for her then. This morning when I looked out to see Christy, I'm 99% sure I saw all three calves. I came back in, then went to check the cows, came back and had my juice. Then I fixed the cat's food and the calf's milk and went out. I couldn't find her anywhere. The two little boys were together in the carport. I didn't hear Sheena barking so I don't think that scared her. She barked at her yesterday and she ran as far as she could until she got to a fence. I fed the cats and then started looking for her. I can't find her anywhere and I can't get Penny to help. Normally, I can ask a cow where their baby is and they'll look in the right direction - not this morning. I've walked all around the hay and can't find her. There was a big dew so I looked anywhere I could see a disturbance in the dew. I looked up and down the road. It didn't look like anyone had gone through the fence but it might have bounced back. I looked all around the hay. The grass is so tall I could walk within 20 feet of her and not see her. Penny doesn't seem concerned at all. I should have put her in the lot when I saw her this morning but I thought she was with her mother and would be all right.

Years ago I startled a little calf and it ran half a mile, went through fences and disappeared. Charles looked for it for three days and then, all at once, it was in the pasture with it's mother. He probably walked within ten feet of it a dozen times. I don't know what else to do.

Same with my sister. I've left two messages with the APS Case Worker with no return call. So I called the main office and had to leave a message. I haven't talked with Sarah. I tried the numbers she gave me last night and one didn't answer and the other was the Police Dept. So, I don't know what else to do.

We do co-own the farm. It was an inheritance from our parents. They left it to Charles and I and my sister. She would never want to live on the farm or have anything to do with it. Is there a concern that maybe I should talk with a lawyer because of her condition? I've thought of that the last couple of days but she couldn't sell it or do anything without my signature, I don't think.

It seems like there's always something going on here that I'm having to deal with. I hate for that little calf to be laying somewhere in the grass. If Penny would only bawl and call her,she'd probably come because she is still nursing her. I can't drive the CW out around the hay - grass is too tall and I'm afraid if I drove close to her, it would spook her and she'd take off. I haven't look in the far back of the barn. The headgate was closed this morning so maybe she could have gone through there. I'll go look now but don't really think she'd have gone through there. Maybe after while, when she gets hungry or when it's mealtime, Penny will bawl and she'll come. I'd have though she'd have stayed with her mother or with the other two. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guess I'll eat a bite, or not, and go look some more. Calves are out of creepfeed so will have to get into town for some this afternoon.

Cheznut
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 11:27 AM

Lorita, yes, concerns re your farm, right of survivorship, etc, plz ask someone who knows, take care, I apologize, if I'm butting in....
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 12:22 PM

Thanks, Roxy, neither you or jfkoc are butting in. I appreciate your concern. When I go to town today or tomorrow, I' ll stop in the lawyer' s office who did our wills.

Found the calf and the police are doing a welfare check on my sister now. I'm so hot I could explode, walked half a mike in waist high grass. That should be mile. Be back later.

Sasue
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:21 PM

So glad you found the calf. Had to take Rich for a ride so I would quit checking the forum for an update. Hope your sister is alright.
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm back and I've cooled off but have been crying replying to Katrinka's thread about pneumonia. If you just sit on the porch in the shade with the wind blowing, it's wonderful weather but when you get out in tall grass, walking and looking, it gets hot fast.

I gave the calf half a bottle of milk and have her in the lot in the shade with her mother. I know I must have walked past her several times unless she moved. It was so hard to get her into the lot until I got her mom to go with us. I thought I was going to pass out before I got that done. Luckily, I did have my medical alert on, just in case. I'll keep her up and let her mother out. I don't think there's any milk or at least not enough.

I have an appointment with the lawyer Thursday at 10:30. Thanks for the nudge.

Nothing much came from the welfare check. Two officers went and talked with her and her granddaughter. I had called her and asked her to be there when they were there. She answered all of their questions except forgot her cat's name that she's had for 12 years. She didn't meet their criteria to take someone to the hospital. They offered to have APS come over and discuss some programs with her - she refused.

The only thing they suggested was that we go to court and get custody or guardianship or have someone move in with her. Sarah and I discussed that and she'd be willing to move in but we both know she'd get mad at her and then we'd not have anyone on the inside. I'll see what the lawyer might suggest when I see him Thursday.

We're afraid she'll get out in her car and forget where she lives or have a wreck and injure or kill herself and maybe someone else. Sarah's going back tomorrow. She's going to pick up a blank key and try to get her to let her drive her car to take her somewhere tomorrow - maybe to get Freon in the air conditioner, which it needs. Then she'll replace the car key with the blank key. At least that would keep her from driving.

Everything just seems so hard to get done. I've had a very trying and tiring morning so I think I'll take a nap. I'm only getting about six hours sleep at night and I think I need a little bit of additional time asleep. Writing about Charles' last days has just dredged everything up again. I think with that, the calf and the problems with my sister, I need to take the two pills a day consistently. I'll do that.

I'll be back later - maybe things will be calm for a while this afternoon. It's going to be time for the air conditioner before long. Welcome, Summer? Not my favorite season by a long shot.

Mulelady
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:48 PM

HI, Been popping in and out all day, not taking time to post. So glad you found the calf. Make sure you drink lots, sweating like that dehydrates quickly. Sorry you didn't get results with your sister. Something WILL happen, and then they will put her in the hospital. Good idea to make car not start.
Yes, lawyer about farm. VERY important.
Will be back later. Hope all are well. Leanne

Sandymac
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 5:40 PM

Glad you've got onto the lawyer, Lorita. Sad that you have to do it, but you must protect yourself, and get things cleared up in your own mind.

Another heavy frost here this am, but the sun is out and no wind so should be another beautiful day.
We're off to do a bit of shopping later. Ron likes to come and poke around and have coffee, then Ron will go down and play a few ends of bowls with the friend who is playing with him. He only lasts about an hour, but at least he's doing something.
The friend said he doesn't really care how long he plays, as he just uses it as practice.

Sandy, strange that you should mention Nights In Rodanthe, I have just been given the book to read, along with another by him called Message In A Bottle. Won't get to them for a while, as I've just started The Da Vinci Code. Somehow it's bypassed me all these years.
By the way, I use my iPad all the time and edit doesn't work for me..

🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶
"Who can explain it, who can tell us why?
Fools give you reasons, wise men never try,,,". 🎶🎶🎶🎶

And I've got another new password

See you all later

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:56 PM

Lorita...have the granddaughter write down all meds and prescribing Dr. You might get in touch with one of them. Also have her take an copy any documents she can find etc. No one is DPOA right?
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:42 PM

Hi again,

Well, I started to take a nap and was listening to some of the Reiki music and the tablet beeped and woke me up. Battery was getting low. But I did rest.

Just got the baby - think I'll call her Trixie, into the stall and opened the door. It's cool in there and she has feed and water and maybe the flies won't bother her as much. She took another half bottle tonight. After all of that I was hot again - goodness, it is humid if you move around. It's hot in the house, too, even with the ceiling fans and floor fan on - guess it's summertime.

Sandy - I do love Nights in Rodanthe. Such a good movie. It's been on here for the last several days. I've seen it probably three times but may watch it again.

Sandymac - the book is better than the movie although it's wonderful. Message in a Bottle is also good.

Had a call from my friend in Muskogee. She had talked with Karen last night and said she sounded pretty good. Said she really doesn't now what lies ahead. Feel so sorry for her. It's been over five months since the accident and it doesn't seem like she's any better, maybe worse. I'll call her tomorrow night and kind of spread out the calls.

jfkoc - when I tried to get my sister's meds renewed, the pharmacy told me the doctor wouldn't do it unless she came in to see him. She's cancelled the last couple of appointments with him and I know she won't go back. But, then they tried to deliver them and she refused them. She doesn't have a DPOA. It sounds like guardianship is a lot of work that I don't feel up to taking on now. Sarah has the time but I'm not sure she'd want to do it. I hesitate to have an outsider do it, too. Thank you for the offer to look into places, again. She was in Integris SW in November and it seemed pretty good - at least they brought her out of the psychosis and she actually enjoyed being around all the people in there. She said she missed them when they were discharged.

I found the deed and wills so I'll take all of that to the lawyer and see if anything needs to be done. I never in my life thought it would come to this but I guess you never know what's ahead of you.

Just got the third or fourth tick off me since my stroll in the grass this morning. Surely don't want to do that again.

Leanne - I've been drinking water like crazy today but I always do. When it's so humid you can't even walk around without getting hot and sweaty. Sandymac, I don't think I'd mind a little bit of frost here right now. It's good that Ron enjoys going to the store with you and playing bowls. Charles always enjoyed shopping - never one time complained of the time I took or anything I bought.

You all should see Stormy tonight. He's been in the mud somewhere in the yard, probably trying to find a cool place. From his waist back he's muddy. Sandy, I used to use the liquid flea and tick stuff on the dogs - always ordered it from PetMeds but found I could get it cheaper at the vets. I think this will be easier but it is expensive. I haven't given it to them yet. I just took off their three month flea collars yesterday. They said it wouldn't hurt for them to wear the collars and have the medicine, too, but I want to be safe with them. I'll give it to them with their breakfast in the morning.

I ordered some stuff for fleas from Amazon. With all the cats, Leanne, I don't think I could do one of those bombs. I ordered some spray for the furniture and something called a flea trip. It has a light and a sticky area where the flea are supposed to congregate under the light and get stuck. The heat from the light is supposed to attract them. The reviews were good - so , we'll see. Need to figure out how to coordinate spraying the furniture and the cats at the same time.

I called APS three times today and never got a callback- can't believe that. The Police Officer who went out called me back and was very nice and understanding. Maybe I should just keep asking for welfare checks and they might catch her off guard. .

I'll probably check in later before bedtime. Seems like I can't keep away from here.

telinde
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:26 PM

Hi all. Okay, this is my third time posting tonight. I don't know what is going on, but it is frustrating me. I won't type another long one and then lose it. Just wanted to say hi and let you know I can read, but can't seem to post. If I type more than a couple paragraphs, they go poof.

Lorita, I am so sorry you had such a hard day today. Sure glad you found the calf and all is well with them. I hope something happens with your sister soon. What a worry for you. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Leanne, glad you got the friend's lawn done. Sounds like they were very appreciative of the help. Nice of you and Zane to step up and help them out.

Sandy, sounds like fall weather is upon you. Enjoy the warm days you have before winter sets in.

Roxy, I bet you are enjoying having the ac working. I turned mine on today. Sure felt good. Have fun in Michigan with your daughter.

I'm getting off here before this post gets lost too. Have a good night and rest well. Lorita, please get some good rest. I'll try again tomorrow. Joan

terromari
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:57 PM

Lorita, if you and your sister are joint owners of the farm what would happen to it if she got into a serious accident (all the more reason for the blank key) OR if she had to be placed. Maybe you said in another post but if she doesn't have long term insurance or much money and tried to go on what we call Medicaid would the farm be considered half her asset and have to be sold so her half could be spent down?
Dd197
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:30 AM

Good morning all,
Lorita, as I have been reading about your sister, Terromari posed some important questions about your sister's psychosis and the joint farm ownership. I'm glad you are seeing your attorney. This is a good time to ask about all of the "what ifs" and how you can protect your assets.
Joan, I was able to edit posts with my iPad but now I can't. What's up with that?? Is it the device or the website? If I use my Nook, it saves my log in information but I can't post.
Roxy, I love Traverse City. Enjoy!
I agree that The book The Da Vinci Code is better than the movie. I just got done with The Orphan Train. My cousin gave me a bag of books to read, many by the author Jeffrey Archer. I started reading Sins of the Father which I just can't seem to get interested in.
On Monday I am taking my husband to a day center for the music program. It's only an hour but I think now is the time for him to get used to the idea of going to a center. He is quite stubborn but was somewhat receptive to going. We'll see. I also set time aside to go to the senior center to check out the exercise programs. One is for those with arthritis, which he has. The other is for weight training for seniors. I don't know if I mentioned this, but I am a dyslexia/learning disabilities reading tutor and I am quite busy with kids daily so I can't stay with Dick every hour of the day encouraging him to keep his mind/body challenged. If I am tutoring, he'll sit in front of the tv. He won't ride his stationary bike because he's afraid of a number of things that could happen when I'm not there. So if he likes the exercise programs, I could drop him off for an hour and get some errands done. He could come to the gym with me but getting used to the treadmills and bikes would be a huge issue. I wish you could see the combination of things that he wears...it's a wonder he could move around with everything he has on- sweatpants, t-shirt, regular shirt with denim shirt over that, and a sweatband, and then getting all those shirts off when he's sweaty is another story. Something about having AD does something to how his brain perceives the temperature in the house. I don't know how to explain it but if it's 70 degrees in the house, he's cold but not when he is outside.
Time to take Lucy for a walk...beautiful Michigan morning today...sunny and about 50 degrees now.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:54 AM

Morning,

It's already getting warm here. The temperature now is almost as high as the high for the entire day was last week. They just said the weather pattern is going to change again next week and we'll have a chance of rain and cooler weather. Supposed to be in the low 90s by Friday and Saturday - first time since last October. I can now wear shoes to the barn instead of boots except one place right in the door is still muddy.

Guess I'd better clean the AC filters and get ready to use the ACs this week.

So far this morning, no crises. Stormy rode in the CW with me this morning to see the girls - he really enjoys that. Wonder if he'll want to ride in the CW when he gets grown? He knows his name and comes when I call him and is learning to walk on his leash. I bought a pretty turquoise colored collar for him at the vets but he's not wearing it. Remember I told you all how dirty he was late yesterday - clean as a whistle this morning. Sheena wants to play with him and gets a little bit rough and he screams and screams but stays with her. I've warned her that he'll be bigger than she is and she might be sorry.

No call from APS - I'll call them in a few minutes. I don't think I'll try to call my sister - just let her be. Sarah's going over today and will attempt to exchange a blank key for her car key. If anyone can, she can.

Trying to decide whether to go into town today for feed or wait until tomorrow and make one trip do it - probably the latter. I just hate to get ready to go two days in a row. Sometimes I wonder how in the world I got my makeup on and dressed for over 33 years every day and made it to work. Surely couldn't do it now. It's even hard to decide what to wear sometimes.

Does anyone have any more suggestions about questions I should ask the lawyer tomorrow? I know I want to find out about what would happen if she might have an accident and get sued - and since she does have dementia (well hidden sometimes) what needs to be done to protect the farm, and about Medicaid. I'm sure there's more. I haven't seen a lawyer in at least 40 years when we had our wills done which are now defunct since everyone mentioned in it except me has passed away.

I hope all of you are having a good Wednesday. Have any of you all every thought about the fact that when I first joined and a lot of you, too, several years ago almost all of the avatars were just the outline of a body. Now, they're all so pretty and we get to see what a lot of us look like.

Be back later. Wonder what Leanne's up to?

Cheznut
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:10 AM

Write down any far fetched question you can think of, I guess, for sure, if sister dies, what would her children, etc do,,never assume that what a person says and what they will actually do, emotions are cuckoo. I, had to deal with a suit, over what was orally promised and what was the legal writing was, back in the 90s when my mom died..I came out ok...

Please, do not take on any more.........

terromari
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:16 AM

I wonder if she could quitclaim the farm to you with survivorship to her? Or maybe a trust for you? May be too late in terms of medicaid since there is a 5 year lookback, and she isn't living with you on the farm so you can't use that tact to keep it. But I think it is a serious issue that you need to address as best you can, even if it means you have to bring her to the farm to live with you, with help. I don't know what else to suggest. I didn't dream that you were co-owners. You need protection, especially since she has a house of her own to use for her care if needbe. You sure don't want to be in a position to lose it, with all the animals. Maybe because you have been living there all these years you can use something like adverse possession? I am sure your lawyer if he/she is any good will have ideas to help you. You do not deserve to be in this position with all that you've been thru. For sure switch the car key. Of just take it and tell her it has been lost and they are ordering a new lock and key. Although that might get her to call the dealer herself? A real dilemma. You may need to get conservatorship.
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:35 AM

you need to appoint a DPOA for yourself, go over your will and living will health directive.
Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:56 PM

Hi everyone,

I' m just lying around today and not doing much. Yesterday just about did me in.

I did talk to the APS caseworker from last year. She thinks they've done all they can but is going to talk to her supervisor to see if there's anything else they can do.

I'm making a list of the things I want to ask the lawyer tomorrow so I won't forget something. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

jfkoc, why would I need to get a DPOA.? I want to do everything I can to get things back the way they should be. I know I Should get an advance directive done or living will. I surely don't want any extraordinary measures to be taken. but I have no idea who I would have for that.

I went out to the storage building a While ago to find the box that has my summer pants and blouses in it and Sheena with laying stretched out on the carpet in there. I guess that's going to be her place this summer. when the rains are over for sure I'll open the windows so there be some air circulation for her.

My family was always close with only the two girls. We saw no reason at all not to make it a 50 50 ownership. She's always lived in town and no way would she want to live on the farm. It was only fair that it was split between Charles and I and her. If she hadn't developed dementia a problem would never have arisen. She has never had any say in what's done on the farm as far as when the hay is baled, when the pastures are sprayed or mowed, when calves are sold or anything - just really not interested. When we sell cattle we send her 40% and that's really the only Involvement she has in the farm.

I guess this really shows that people should have things in the proper order from the very first and then they wouldn't have to deal with it when a crisis arises. I suppose you just don't think a problem like this would ever come up.

Penny has been bawling this morning because she's not with her baby but for the present she has quit. I guess I should let her back out with the other cattle this afternoon.

If you all can think of anything I should ask, please tell me. Hope everyone is doing okay today. I'll be back later.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:01 PM

So they find you in the field unconscious.....who is going to make decisions for you? If something happens that would prohibit you from taking care of the farm what will happen. Stuff happens!!!

If your sister is not putting in any money for the farm expenses there is no reason to pay her 40% of the income. You may need that money for your own care.

Be informed!!!!!

Your sister owns 1/2 the farm...it is an asset. She is no longer rational...anything could happen and if it involves money you may have to deal with her daughter and/or granddaughter. You need to know what CAN happen

Mulelady
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:42 PM

Good afternoon,
I just spent an hour trying to catch up on what has gone on yesterday and today. I've been spraying weeds and finished planting my garden.
This morning the night crawlers were all out above ground because it is so wet. I spent an hour picking up an ice cream bucket full. Zane uses them for fishing and keeps them in an old bath tub at his house. He keeps an old screen door over the top so they can't crawl out.
He was here all day. Helped me with some fencing and fixed a riding lawn mower. He is trying to start a business repairing small engines, mowers, weed eaters etc. He just hung up a couple of posters and already has 5 mowers to fix. For now, he is using the front shop. I don't mind and all the tools are already there.
I fixed us dinner before he left. Nice to have someone to eat with me. I cook if there is someone to enjoy it.
Let the horses and mules out into their pasture today. The grass is up to their bellies. I only left them for 2 hours this morning and 3 this afternoon. Then brought them in and gave them hay. I'm so afraid of founder. I know they were full both times, because they were laying down and rolling and just standing asleep.
Lorita, I think everyone else has brought up about all the questions I can think of to ask the lawyer. If you describe the situation, I'm sure he/she will know what all should be done. Since she has not participated in any expenses, but gotten 40% of profits, maybe that could be counted as payments to buy her part of the farm?? I really am just speculating, because I don't know, but lawyer will.
As long as you are now feeding the baby, just as well let the cow out with the rest. She will get over not having the baby sooner if she can't hear or smell it.
I know what you mean about getting ready to go some place. I had an appointment to get my hair cut today and almost forgot about it. It is a 35 minute drive, and I remembered 45 minutes before time. I washed my face, brushed my teeth and changed muddy clothes for non-muddy clothes and flew out the door. If I had thought of it in time, it would have taken me 45 minutes to get ready to leave.
Joan, Sandy, Linde, jfkoc, Terramari, Db, Roxy,I hope I didn't miss anyone. Hope you all have a gentle evening and get a good nights sleep. And I hope all of us quit losing posts!!! How frustrating. Leanne

telinde
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:39 PM

Good evening:

Lorita, you got some great responses. The only other thing I can think of is to tell the lawyer that your sister has dimentia. If she has a DPOA, would they make the decisions for her regarding her 1/2 of the farm? Just in case it could be used to determine Medicaid eligibility. It sounds complicated, but the lawyer will know all the answers, and direct you in the right way. Good luck with all this. I hope it is all resolved soon so you can relax and not have to worry. Any new news on your sister? Maybe her granddaughter made some progress today. I sure hope so. I hope you got rested up a bit today.

I wanted to tell you I loved the pictures you posted of Stormy and the cow. The yuca is beautiful. I've never seen it here. Must not grow well in the mountains. Stormy is getting bigger every week. He is so fluffy and cute.

We had another beautiful day today. In the high 70's and blue skies. The flowers I planted look like they've already grown since putting them in. I went in for a treatment for my back today. Something just hasn't been right for awhile. I think it is too much lifting lately. I feel so much better tonight. I have been lazy all day today.

Leanne, it has to feel good to get your weeds sprayed and the garden planted, even if it was in the mud. Hopefully it will dry out now so things can warm up and get growing. We're supposed to have more storms Friday and Saturday. I'm going to visit Harv tomorrow so I won't have to fight the rain Friday.

I hope everyone has a good night. The moon was so bright last night I had trouble getting to sleep. It was beautiful. Joan

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:27 PM

Hi everyone,

Ask and ye shall receive - I'm so grateful for all the suggestions. I've never had to deal with anything like this and have no idea where to start. The lawyer has been in Checotah for at least 45 years. Charles and I went to see him 40 years ago. He was a lawyer for years, then was a judge for some years and now back to being a lawyer - so he should know what to do. I have all the questions you all suggested ready to ask.

jfkoc - I never thought of something like that. Guess I'm like an ostrich with my head buried in the sand. If she didn't have dementia, there would be no problem. She is so angry at me for trying to help her - she considers it meddling.

The APS worker called today and they're going to reopen the case and have someone go out. I ask her if they could notify us when so her granddaughter could be there but it's a surprise visit. I called her tonight and when I said "hi", she hung up. I called back and she said some awful things. Later she called and said "you sent the police out again today and that's it". I didn't send them today - it was yesterday when she wouldn't answer the phone.

Joan - Stormy is growing by leaps and bounds. I have to ration his food so he won't outgrow his bones. The cow is Christy who is waiting to have her calf. She sometimes has trouble. When she had her first calf our vet said she just wasn't built to have calves. Since then, she's had a calf almost every year and lately by herself. I bet your flowers are growing fast - with the rain and the warm weather, everything seems to be - especially weeds. Hope you have a nice trip to see Harv and that everything is okay. We've had yucca for years - these are one I bought at Lowe's, probably, years ago. This year they had 7 or 8 spikes of flowers that feel like the southern magnolia. They're blooming now, too. We have one but it hasn't bloomed yet - don't know how old they have to be.

Leanne - it's been four days since Penny had her calf. Today she still hadn't passed all of the afterbirth. I tried to get some of it yesterday but it's so slick you can't hold on. This afternoon, it looked like it was gone but she kept humping up and trying to urinate or something. I called the vet and before he got here she was laying down like she was trying to calve, having contractions. We got her in the chute and there was still a lot of afterbirth in there - took him about ten minutes to get it all because it was in pieces. Put in three boluses and gave her an antibiotic shot. So glad I called him. Now, the good news plus having all of that done - she has three good teats! The one had closed up so much he couldn't even get the tiny tube in to put in medication. So, in the morning, she'll have her baby back. He laughed and said, "you don't even have a bottle baby now, do you?" I told him we should put a mark on the wall - that's what Charles always said.

I'm glad Zane is opening a small engine repair shop. There is great business for that, everywhere I imagine. I wish we had one in our little town. There is one in Checotah where I've taken things before. I bet he'll have so much business he can't get it all done - you may have to help.

I know after the long winter, all the animals are really enjoying the juicy, green grass. Our fescue is beginning to ripen and turn brownish.

Glad you got the weeding and spraying done. I haven't sprayed the cockleburs yet but I'm going to have to when things settle down a bit. They may be too big to kill already.

Surprising how much it's dried up. I even walked down the runway to the barn without wearing boots. It's still kind of muddy in front of the barn but the sun is doing it's job. Some people, our neighbor for one, are already baling hay. He has rye grass and was about to lose it. I imagine it'll be a long time before they can get into our meadow.

Glad you remembered your haircut appointment in time to get there. I started to make one to get my hair cut tomorrow but didn't get it done.

Darn, I hate all of this has come up. Dementia, as we all know, can cause all kinds of problems. What's the word for them not knowing something is wrong - agnosia? That's the sad part - people trying to help and them refusing to accept that anything si wrong.

I rested today but tomorrow will be busy. I'm watching "In the Kitchen with David" and they're using lots of sweet cherries - guess it's the season for them.

Okay, wish me luck tomorrow. Thanks, again, for all the wonderful suggestions. Sleep well.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:43 PM

Lorita...you have made my day. I will be eternally happy not having to deal with cow afterbirth...lol

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:06 AM

orning,

It's already warm and sticky.

Jfkoc, it's not so bad after you're around it a while- you kind of get used to it.

Both Penny and Trixie are happy this morning. I let them together and Trixie latched on. All of them are in the barn today.

I' m about to get ready to go- wish I didn't have to. I'll go there, then get some feed and a few groceries and food for Barclee. Should be home a little after noon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mulelady
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:25 AM

Good morning,
Lorita, I am sorry you have to do this too, I'll be thinking about you all morning. I hope it all goes well.
I still have spraying to do, but I'm out of "poison", so have to go to town and get some. Just waiting for everything to be open.
If the Burdock (cockle burrs) are too big and getting dry, sometimes you can still cut them down and just pour a bit of spray solution right into the stalk. It usually will kill the root. I bet that would be a mess to get those burrs into Stormy or Sheena's fur.
I'm glad everything worked out good with Penny and Trixie. Always better when mom can raise her own calf.
You don't seem to be long without a bottle baby, does Christy have a good bag? From her picture, I assume she is older, maybe had enough calves that she won't have any trouble.
Jfkoc, Cow after birth is something everyone should encounter at least once. It is unreal how much an entire placenta weighs. Sometimes when they have to be removed by a vet, they call it unbuttoning, because they are actually kind of anchored in several spots. The cow can get a roaring infection and die if left untreated.
Joan, Glad you are going to visit Harv today. Much better than driving in the rain. It is sunny and warm here today too. Supposed to kind of dry up until the middle of next week. I hate to complain about rain, but am glad it will be dry for a few days.
I keep forgetting to ask, but how do you like your rocks by now? Are they what you have been moving the hurt your back. Glad it is feeling better.
I better get busy. Will check in later to see what the lawyer said.
Leanne

× Close Menu