Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Chemicals/poisons root to my early onset??
kwc
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 8:03 PM

I am 54 last year I found out I have ALZ A REAL SHOCKER
I worked at a chemical plant for 27 yrs (6days a week also) with a lot of various dif chemicals and poisons could this have brought on my ALZ/ ( dementia)
My wife and I seem to think so she could smell some on me when I came home even after showering at work

eaglemom
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 10:32 PM

I suppose anything is possible. But is it probable? On that I have no answer. There are so many different and various factors that go with this disease.

If you could give us some information on your diagnosis, etc. it might be easier to help you.

eagle

kwc
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 6:24 AM

I have no ALZ in the family I had the neurophysiology test I have had MRIs I have been to 3 dif Drs for this Plus I am on a clinical that my wife got me on that she found about through ALZ.org Each Dr was a yes unfortunately ( hoping 1 would be like not sure to no) Let me know if u need more or if this helps at first I was hoping they were wrong but then you learn that they aren't an you deal with it that's life could be worse
alz+
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 6:49 AM

KWC - we all wonder what triggered the conditions known as Alzheimer's. Seems logical to think it was chemicals or environment but who knows?
It is a real shock. You might these boards very useful as the days pass. One can always hope the diagnosis is wrong or the cause and a reversal may be found.

Glad you came here to post your story.

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 10:43 AM

Hi KWC,
Welcome to our world.

I'm probably one of the few with the disease who didn't spend a lot of time wondering where it came from.

Makes no difference, I have it.

Find out as much as you can about the disease. Read and read on alz.org; lots of links. Check out your local library.
For newly diagnosed, I often gift them with Lisa Snyder's: Living Your Best With Early Stage Alzheimer's.

Do learn about Best Practices. There are severeal of us on these Boards who think they are the reason we have stayed in Early Stage so long.

1. Take meds as directed. No smoking.

2. Strenuous physical exercise. If you have been a couch potato, take it slowly.

3. Varied cognitive activities. You want to aim for a level that pushes you to think, but not so hard you can't do the activity.

4. Mediterranean Diet. I also take Omega 3 and antioxidants. You might want to investigate aromatherapy.

5. Increase or maintain so dial activities.

Do come back and become a steady!

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:46 AM

A variety of chemicals have been casually linked to Alzheimer's disease including mercury, aluminum fluoride, various pesticides and herbicides, and diesel fumes. If you have particular chemicals that you would like me to research just let me know.

I am interested in the causes of Alzheimer's disease for prevention reasons. But in terms of treating the disease, following Mimi's recommendations may help a great deal.

TheSteven
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 8:23 AM

Do you have any amalgam (mercury/silver) fillings. That may be the cause. See my TheSteven post
kwc
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 1:34 PM

I worked in chemical manufacturing for 20 of my 27 (I worked 6days a week also) years at a Fortune 100 company. (Abbott Lab) I have a list of a lot of the chemicals that I have used through the years if you are interested I have been looking but I don't know how to go about it . wife even sent a letter to the CEO AND they sent it to their benefits and we get jerked around but at this point it's just a matter of I would like to know ( ( we feel very strong that is where). I retired early at 50 now 54
I would love to give u a list if u want.

kwc
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 1:37 PM

No fillings at all. I do most all that DRs tell me like keep to a normal life exercise an get out an about
Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 8:31 PM

kwc, yes I would like to take a look at the list of the chemicals that you were exposed to. I will be away from here for a few days, but will try to get back with some kind of an answer within a week or so. I appreciate the work of all trying to find answers to Alzheimer's disease. I found TheSteven's post quite interesting based on extensive research; detailed but useful.
kwc
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 7:04 AM

I tried to attach the pic of my list but it is too big I can email it to you if possible
Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 10:07 AM

That sounds good. Hopefully, it will work via e-mail.

× Close Menu