Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
I'm Overwhelmed and miss all of you
ffwife54
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 10:26 PM

I have been off the message board for a couple of reasons.
I missed Iris and was having a hard time getting on the message board due to a snafu with passwords.

My dad was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer with mets to the bones, lymph glands, chest wall and jaw in August and was given 6-9 months. He is 87 y/o and lives with my Mom in a Assisted living facility. My hubby and I are the only support system he has and my hubby is his PoA for health and finances. Needless to say my stress level has gone through the roof and my memory has taken a big decline. I get lost in conversations, forget things that are said to me and feel utterly lost. I started on the exelon patch about 3 weeks ago at a low dose of 4.5 and have titrated up to 6.2 or 1and 1/2 patches. I have not noticed any improvement in my memory, word finding or carrying on a conversation.

To add to my stress I asked my GP for a referral to a new Neuro in town who specializes in dementia and he said I didn't need one and he wouldn't give it to me..... Although he wrote me a Rx for the exelon also stating " there is no cure for dementia" but what you have is depression???????

I'm at my wits end way to much to deal with and no time or energy to deal with his crap or my own decline.....

Don't really know what else to say...., guess I just needed to vent and get some words of wisdom from those I trust

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 11:57 PM

It's good to "see" you again, ffwife! Don't be a stranger.
I am sorry to learn about your father-in-law. Yes, it's good to focus on family right now and spend time with him.

When I began the low dose of Exelon patch, I noticed improvement within about two weeks. So I knew I was on the right track.

In your case, I do not remember if you have had a sufficient trial of antidepressants. It may take a combination of antidepressants for some people to make a difference. Have you seen a psychiatrist recently? Will you be able to get around the PCP in order to see the neurologist?

Are you still working at the campsite?

I spent some time with my family and attended a wedding in NY over the summer. Now I am preparing to return to Israel next month. That will be my last travel for a while.

I just had a visit with my neurologist, which I am about to post about.

I hope you will be able to set some boundaries and not be so overwhelmed.

I hope you can keep posting. I have missed you, too.

{{{{{{{{FFwife}}}}}}}}

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:25 AM

Welcome back FFwife. I am so sorry about your father-in-law. And of course, the stress is adding.

Do you need a referral to see the neurologist? If so, call the neurologists office and ask to speak with his nurse. Do repeat the conversation with your PCP. Ugh. Maybe she can figure a way around it. Maybe you can go to a new PCP to get the referral. If your current guy is OK that makes it harder.

Sometimes, as with iris, we can tell a medication is having an effect. Other times we don't. If you remain the same, you don't know, without the meds and all your stress, how far you would have regressed.

ffwife54
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:32 PM

The exelon didn't do anything not sure if it was the low dose? What dosage were you on when you noticed a improvement?
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:45 PM

I noticed improvement after a few weeks at the low dose, 4.6 mg. patch.

That might be a good sign for you, ffwife, meaning that your memory loss is probably not from Alzheimer's disease.

Iris L.

× Close Menu