Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Working with MCI
KKD
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2016 2:13 PM

I've been diagnosed with MCI - Mild Cognitive Impairment - but would like to find a job to keep some money coming in and to get out of the house.  Does anybody have any experience job hunting with MCI?  Should I disclose to the employer?
Then there's the question of what kind of job to look for.  The impairment makes it difficult for me to multitask so I know I need to look for something that allows me to focus on one thing at a time.  Plus I have trouble doing complex problem solving, so I need something fairly simple.  Does anybody have any ideas?  I was thinking about cashiering -- even though my numeracy skills are low, the machine does the math for you these days.  Thoughts?

Thank you for any ideas you might be able to share with me.  I appreciate being able to bounce this off of people with some experience!

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2016 5:27 PM

Welcome, KKD.  I invite you to post on the Younger Onset board.  There are members there who are still working.

I suggest that you google "work accommodations for cognitive impairment" and get suggestions.  You might also visit a post-stroke rehabilitation website for ideas on working after a brain injury.  It's not exactly the same as MCI, but you can get some ideas.

Otherwise, I really don't have any suggestions for you on looking for work.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2016 8:11 AM

And a lot depends on the type of work you are looking for and the degree of impairment you are already seeing. Some MCI does not progress. If you're lucky to have that kind, great.  If on the other hand, you can see yours progressing, can you make allowances for it as you are job hunting?
KKD
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2016 2:07 PM

Iris -- Thank you for your reply.  I'll try posting to the Younger Onset board to see if anybody there has ideas.  And thank you for the tip for a Google search.  I love Google!  But you have to know what to search for to find what you need

I've been reading your posts in different threads -- lots of great ideas!  I love that you are sharing your knowledge.

KKD
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2016 2:15 PM

Mimi -- The allowance I have been making is in the type of job for which I am applying.  I have been chosing jobs that don't require so much multitasking or long range planning and problem solving.  The jury is still out on whether or not to apply for professional positions and then disclose my disability.  I'm hoping somebody here might have experience with doing that and share how it worked for them.

I just read a book -- the title and author of which I can not recall (argh!) -- written by a guy with AD with took a professional position after diagnosis and it worked out okay for him.  He disclosed once he had the position and was doing okay at the job.

Thank you for your reply!

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2016 2:18 PM

I'm glad you have joined us, KKD, because you will receive the benefit of actual experience from people who are living with dementia and cognitive impairment, instead of reading articles by reporters, bloggers and others without true knowledge.  

All of the members here share their knowledge and experience.  I have learned so much from them.  

Can you tell us why you are not working now?  Did your MCI symptoms have anything to do with your not working?  

Be careful about disclosing.  Legally, we have protections from the ADA.  Check the protections from the law thoroughly.

Iris L.

× Close Menu