Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Looking to talk with others who have EO
ernestina58
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Hi my name is Tina and I have been diagnosed with EO alzheimers two years ago. My daughter and I have recently moved away from our home. This was very hard but we are starting over now. Lately I have been feeling very alone and scared I am not used to my new surroundings. My mother passed away last year and I really I miss her. My boyfriend lost his license a few months ago and I barely see him anymore. and My daughter works a lot and I am often home alone. I lost my job a few months ago and things have been really tough. I don't know what to do. But I was hoping to find others that are going through similar situations. Maybe we can talk. Please reach out.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:24 PM

Welcome to our online support group, Ernestina!  You are not alone any longer!  You are with a group of people who are going through the same things you are going through!  My diagnosis is cognitive impairment not otherwise specified.  I have been maintained at basically the same level for eight years, now at age 66.  There will be many changes coming into your life.    It will be tough, but we will help you accept the challenge.   Please feel free to join us on the Younger Onset board.  We have two boards, and we use both for all ages.    There are many members waiting to meet and support you!

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:29 AM

Welcome to our world, Earnestina. You have come to a great place for support and learning to adjust.

You have recently lost your mom, moved and are jobless. And you are still adjusting to a diagnosis. Your boyfriend is around infrequently. No wonder you are at loose ends.

In my opinion, the first thing to be become acquainted with what many of us call Best Practices. Do you need to change any of your life style?

There are other things you can do to help slow down the course of this disease, including:

(1) Sticking as closely as you can to a Mediterranean diet (with wine and nuts), which has been shown to help prevent/delay the onset of AD, and also slow its progression. See:

Basically, it involves:

- High intake of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and cereals

- High intake of unsaturated fatty acids (mostly in the form of olive oil)

- Low intake of saturated fatty acids

- Moderately high intake of fish

- Low-to-moderate intake of dairy products (mostly cheese or yogurt)

- Low intake of meat and poultry

- A regular but moderate amount of ethanol, primarily in the form of wine and generally during meal.

To that, I would add eating a quarter cup of nuts every day -- quite a few studies have found they're very good for you. 

Also, olive oil is very good for salad dressings etc, but not so much so for cooking especially at higher temps. Use canola oil for that, or a mix of the two. (I've seen plenty of products that contain olive and canola oils.)Avoid hydrogenated fats and trans fats like the plague.

(I also take Omega 3 and antioxidants.)

(2) Lots of physical exercise ... there is quite a bit of evidence it can help prevent/delay onset. (As strenuous as possible. Recent research shows such build new brain cells!)

(3) Lots of exercise for the brain -- activities that involve learning something new. I've seen some reports that learning new things coupled with using a computer can be particularly helpful.  (A variety is best. Figure out what stretches your mind but is not so hard you are frustrated.)

(4) Socialization, doing things with friends and family. (Most of us do not do well in large and/or noisy groups.)

(5) Plenty of rest. 

(6) NO SMOKING!!! and avoid air pollution as much as possible.

(7) Do whatever you can do to minimize stress.

(And take meds as directed.)

Next:  find out what in your community that you can get involved in. nBook discussion group at the library? Art or music activities, church or social organizations?  Call our help line and ask if there is a support group for you at your local chapter.  If the chapter office is anywhere you can get to ask if you can help at the office. other local organizations often can use volunteer help.

BlueSkies
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:26 AM

Welcome Tina!  

So glad you found your way here.  Just reading of all the changes you have been through made me anxious!  I think you are doing great to have gotten through all that and still have your wits about you. 

I am trying to move to a new house and am really struggling to get through it.  Have developed a horrible rash and my aphasia has gotten much worse just from trying to move.  Had to actually postpone move for now.  So you have every right to be feeling the way you do.  Pat yourself on the back.  You have gotten through the worst.  

Give yourself time to adjust.  Make a little spot just for yourself somewhere with all your favorite comforting things.  Use aroma therapy and music.  Have it as comfortable as possible.  Make it your sanctuary.  Go there often to get grounded.  I am doing that myself now.  I think Iris suggested it to me and it has really helped so far.  

You did the right thing reaching out.  It always helps to be able to connect with others going through the same things.  Hope you will keep us posted on how you are doing.  We care and are here for you!  ((((Hugs))))

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:03 PM

Tina, you said you lost your job recently.  Are you eligible for a disability pension or are you retirement age?  You need to have an income.  The Alzheimer's Association has collaborated with Social Security Administration for Compassionate Allowance to fast-track applications for people with a diagnosis of Young Onset Alzheimer's Disease.  I don't know if you are one of the YOAD patients.

Iris L.

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:51 PM

Welcome the forum, Tina.  You have been through a number of changes recently, and no wonder you are reaching out seeking support. I have Young Onset Alzheimer's, and although my daughter around, I am pretty much on my own as well.  I look forward getting know you.  Feel free jump in anywhere. 

<3

adii
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:30 PM

Hi Tina,

I think that it's great that you are reaching out.  Take hope from that.  I also have the EO AD.

I'm not sure what area you live in, but I found a wonderful Memory Cafe in my area.    The Memory Cafe is good because there are people there who also have Alzheimer's and their caregivers.  It doesn't matter what stage you are at in your disease, you will feel comfortable. There are also activities at senior centers.

I was able to find some disabled transportation run by the local bus service.  In addition, there is a volunteer organization here that will give rides to people.

You might check with the Agency on Aging in your area to find out what resources are available.  

Last but not least, there actually is a message board on this website which is for people with early onset Alzheimer's - also known as younger onset Alzheimer's.

Good luck!  The universe supports you!!

ernestina58
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:25 PM

Thank you so much for your response. I would love to speak with you sometime about the disease and how your coping with it in your life. Sorry for such a late response. I am not online often. Do you know if there is a way for us to privately message?
BlueSkies
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:41 PM

ernestina58, if you want to private message someone all you have to do is click on their board name in blue and you will find a place to click on that says invite.  It will give the other person the choice to accept and once they do you will be able to privately message back and forth.  Hope this helps.  Glad to see you back! How are you doing?  Gotten more settled at new place?
MaryW
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:07 PM

Hi Tina, welcome.

Still trying to figure out the private message thing.  It says that I have two connections but when I click on it, it's blank. 

Mary

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:44 PM

Welcome back, Tina.  It's good to see you back online.  I hope you are doing well.  There are many here to support you.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:18 PM

Mary,

Next time you want to connect do call our help line and have s0me0ne walk yu through the necessary steps.
Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2017 7:43 PM

Hi Tina, my name is Tyrone and I was diagnosed with EOAD last year. I'm sorry to hear about the other trials you are experiencing in your life, but I share your your difficulties behind your diagnosis. I deal with a lot of the same things you are talking about. I know what it feels like to be lonely in a crowd. Only on these boards and forums do I feel any kinship. You have found a good place, please feel free to use it and us. I will try and reach out to you by inviting you to private chats if you would like. The people here are so great about letting me know that I am not alone, and for that I am truly grateful. I am sure they will do the same for you. I am only 60 years old so I am mostly on the early onset page. Feel free to check it out as well. Remember everyone here is here for you, as well as we are for each other.

× Close Menu