Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Please don't give out your email address. I did and this is what happened
ladypeewee
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:54 AM

Just a heads up It's not a good idea to exchange Email addresses with anyone online. I did it in another support group I belonged to, I thought I was talking to a older lady that was dealing with a husband with Alzheimer's just like me. She said she belonged to this group needing support and she had posted somethings in the group and felt like she was being picked on, So she just wanted to Email to one or two people, so I didn't see any harm in exchanging email addresses with her.

As it turned out this was not an older lady at all. I had been hacked , I had to delete my email account. Change all my accounts online, get a new email account with a new service provider. change all my passwords. I was just lucky I didn't have any family in my email contact list.

I didn't have any e statements sent to my Email account No bank statements Nothing from my real life tied to my Email accounts. I had had that Email account for the last 15 years and it was gone in just one second.

I Know people that have everything sent to an Email address just cause it's convenient, Like Bank statements, Student Loan accounts, credit card statements, Everything now days gives  you the option to have a E statement and go paperless. It's also convenient to have all your family and friends  listed under your contacts. Can you image what a bad person could do if they got into your contact list. I shudder to think about it.

I know some will say people can't get into your email without your password. But let me tell you this! This person got my email address then went and created his own account and added my Email address to his account as a back up so anything I did with my account such as changed my password he got the option to change the password. I found out this happened because I with to block this person from my contact list and a box popped up telling me that I could not block my own Email address, This pop up window had my Email address as the first one then it had her Email address as the second one then it had my phone number associated with my Email account So now this person had my home phone number so I had to change that too. 

So Please don't exchange your email address or even post it online where strangers can see it. You never know whose looking, And you never really know who your taking to. 

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:25 PM

Thanks for the warning, Lady Peewee.  I'm sorry this happened to you.

Iris L.

Unforgiven
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 1:08 PM

One word of caution, some email providers are less secure than others, and they can be spoofed or hacked without the address holder even knowing.  I don't know if I'm allowed to say which provider has been the most vulnerable in my experience, but I began to receive spam from two former contacts, one old email contact was hacked and our personal conversations were exposed.  Hint, it began with Y and ended with hoo.  I don't have anything to do with that provider anymore.  In each case, it was my friends'email accounts that were hacked, not mine.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 1:20 PM

Yahoo did have a big breech about a year or so ago.  They sent out notices.  I had to change my password.  Yahoo is my secondary email account, and I had no sensitive material or links on it.  I had a contact on Facebook who was hacked, because I got a chat room invitation to a pyramid scheme from a family member, and I knew that was a scam.

Yes, diligence is necessary.  It's hard to keep up with all that we have to look out for.

Iris L.

Unforgiven
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 3:03 PM

What is even worse are the sites that require a password that is so 'strong' that the normal memory can't handle it.  One's device will offer to remember it for you, but that isn't good, because even a household desktop can be stolen and mobile devices can be lost.  It is never a good idea to write things down, because the ,ist can be stolen along with the computer, or we can hide it so effectively that even we can't find it when we need it.  Modern life has us scr*wed.

My experience with the Y stuff happened almost a decade ago.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 2:08 PM

oh, no...I have lists...I thought it was clever
alz+
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 8:49 AM

I usually can only handle going to younger onset section, but read this today and think it is very important to those of us with dementia.

I wish this was posted on that section too if it has not been already.

Thank you!

× Close Menu