Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Nanny cams in assisted living and memory care
allalone2day
Posted: Friday, September 8, 2017 4:54 PM

I know many places allow nanny cams as long as not in a bathroom.  But my questions is, with many places allowing them, why would a place not allow them?
bela
Posted: Friday, September 8, 2017 6:17 PM

Privacy issues.  In the case of a NH for example, most LO's are sharing a room with another NH resident.  If you are thinking about using one check your state laws before proceeding and investing in a system.

MC and other non NH facilities may permit these devices, (IL, AL etc).  

Also, I read up on some nanny cam products and as I recall an IP addresswas needed.  IP addresses were needed because the nanny cam would be using the internet/wifi connection belonging to the NH.  It's unlikely that the NH or other facility would provide that let alone any passwords.

I am no tech so I am reporting what I recall.  Recollections are fuzzy because it was many years ago. Read the instructions of any nanny cam first -

Their are spy cameras also.  They come in the form of ink pens, clocks etc.  They are meant to go unnoticed.  Again, as I recall, IP address and/or wifi connection was needed.

allalone2day
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:26 PM

Nursing homes must allow nanny cams, its the law. But many and I know this because I have asked and many places have it listed as being ok to install in many assisted living places. There is no need for cameras in bathrooms and no privacy issues are ever a problem. These are becoming common place in all senior living businesses.  To prevent a nanny cam is to hid something. If I walk into 10 different senior assisted living homes in a single day and 9 of them say it is okay, what is the 10th hiding?
Rockym
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:27 AM

allalone, I can't say why someone would say no to the nanny cam, but at the same time I feel like if I need to "check in" or "spy" on what's going on, then my parent doesn't belong there.  I am not placing my LO anywhere that I do not trust.  Believe me, I have thought about this before.
allalone2day
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 1:12 PM

I would love to know who feels they can trust anyplace. I have witnessed stealing from the very best and most expensive places. I have witnessed neglect and verbal abuse from the most recognized and certified places around.  I am speaking about facts, actual events beyond any doubt. There is no place around that does not treat people like an industrial complex. Its horrible what we accept and or turn a blind eye towards. I know of a place with the best recommendations in the industry where people have stolen rings off of loved ones fingers. Im sorry for being so negative, i have personally visited over 50 assisted living, memory support homes and almost to an exact speech from them all. The industry rules itself with no oversight. Its wrong. I respect your opinion that you would not trust a place where a camera is needed-I just feel it is an uneducated opinion.
Rockym
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 7:19 PM

Sorry, been to many, many places and although I am not always a trusting person I cover that base by not have things of value at my mom's place.  I keep tabs on her things the best I can, but there is no way I am going to worry about stuff at this point in her life.

Mom's care has been well and I use her body language, etc. as a gauge as well as my observations.  I am around often so my advise is if you aren't trusting of the facility, be there more and see what is going on.  If a nanny cam is that important, put one in, but I would much rather be enjoying my day and not spying on mom or her caregivers.  Just my opinion.

bela
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 11:18 PM

I'm with Allalone2day!!!!!

Use of cameras in skilled nursing differs from state to state aka state laws.  To my knowledge there is no federal protection permitting all nursing homes to allow cameras, nanny type or otherwise.

Speaking to the director, owner etc is nice but do not rely on them to report accurate or truthful information.....refer to state laws .

× Close Menu