Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Took mom home from senior care for a family get-together
Istoppedescaping
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:43 AM

HI. We had the whole family over for a barbaque. Of course it wasn't the same and we finally realized she is never coming home again. It really depressed me and now since my Dad is alone, I made the decision to move in with him. He is severly depressed but happy I will be there. I am single and have a cat, he is 77 with glucoma plus lonely. I needed to express what is going on . Thanks
ndhme
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:49 AM

I am sorry the reality of Moms condition was so much more evident with the family gathering.  I am sure your Dad will appreciate the companionship and oversight in his daily life with you living with him.  It is really hard on spouses when one is no longer in the family home after 50+ yrs of marriage.  They were each others life lines and the rope had been broken so he feels afloat...no direction, abandoned and adrift.  

Best wishes to you and your Dad....

Wgonzo
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:54 AM

Hello! As you have and are experiencing this is a difficult time. It's great that you are there for your parents. As hard as it is having your mom in a facility it's the right thing for her and you. We are only human and can only do so much. Especially when you have both parents and your own responsibilities. You have to take care of yourself both physically & mentally. This disease will take everyone down. Your doing the right thing getting informed.

Are you there only child? If so get as much help as possible. You will need a break, too. If not even with siblings that doesn't mean they will help, but that's another subject. Save yourself the trouble and have POA if you already don't because even with having your dad you need to have legal documents in place. Nobody wants to deal with that reality, but it is necessary. This is a long difficult road. But, this message board is a great place to come to for information and support.

Istoppedescaping
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:26 AM

THank you so much for your advice. It made me feel so much better  for my decision now.

× Close Menu