Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Diagnosed with Dementia at age 49
aeiland
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 12:01 PM

I was recently diagnosed last August with Dementia and they are still trying to figure it all out. I am going to a speech therapist, a psych therapist, and am scheduled for a sleep study. They are trying to R/O sleep deprivation an depression, but I wasn't depressed before my diagnosis. My Neuro doc give me this website to see if I can get some support with filling for disability, but that scares me too!

Any suggestions or input is appreciated. 

Andrea. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 7:44 PM

Welcome to our world Aeiland; we're so glad you foud us. Sounds as though your team is trying many different things to help you.  All have helped others in the past.

Do call out help line: 1-800-272-3900 and ask about applying for disability. If yu just feel like talking about you, that's fine.

Do try the Younger Onset Board. It's more active now, and designed for folks like you.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 8:32 PM

WElcome from me too. I also suggest you post on Younger onset as well as any of the other boards.

All I know about filing is that there seems to be concern as to when to file in relationship to your job,

aeiland
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 12:28 PM

Thank you!
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:37 AM

Aeiland,

what's going on in your life these days?

Determined
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 11:59 PM

You qualify for the FAST TRACK. Copy all your medical records from all your doctors (cost me $150) but well worth it. I scheduled at appointment with the Social Security Administration. Took all them in at one time and filled out the paperwork with the clerk. My husband came with me. Then I called my doctor and told them to make sure they put the correct medical codes and Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease and showed the neuropsy test results and within 3 months I received my first check. Now my personal disability plan is a different story they are ignoring the Alz and just going by the Rheumatoid Arthritis I have and tried constantly to try and not make my monthly disability payments. Would you want someone with EOAD treating you? Apparently they think I should work>

Determined
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 12:01 AM

You will need to quit work first which my neuropyyschologist said to do ASAP and concentrate on my health and maintaining as long as possible.

obrien4j
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2018 5:53 PM

First, BREATHE!! I sent you an invite. Second, PRAY A. LOT!?!  Glad you reached out. Third, don’t forget to LAUGH and SMILE.I have, along with wasting a lot of precious time.  And finally,  PRAY SOME MORE!!
BlossomsPack
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:41 AM

IMHO, you will receive better legal advice from a lawyer who deals with this as part of their practice rather than consulting a public forum where you do not know who is giving the advice. Also, there is a plethora of legal advice and an active thread on this matter on the spouse/partner forum. I would not give up a job without exhausting all possibilities for job accommodations first.
BlossomsPack
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:11 PM

This is the thread I am referencing on the spouse/partner forum that has to do with getting matters in order and applying for social security. There are probably also other threads about work accommodations that will be useful to you, that others can send to you, or that you may find by using the search engine on this website.

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147540201

lollyred
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:27 PM

I was diagnosed with dementia on January 16, 2018.  I had frontotemporal dementia.  It's Pick's Disease.  I am going to a psych therapist as well.  I am retirement funds from social security.  Your psych therapist can suggest some considerations for the filing the disability.  
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 12:45 AM

Welcome to our group, lollyred.  I'm sorry you have received a diagnosis of Pick's Disease.  I hope you will come back and continue to share.

Iris L.  

× Close Menu