Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
New to all of this
abbie81
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2018 2:10 PM

I have recently been told that I have mild Alzheimer's .  I am really scared.  My Mother had it and it was terrible to see.  I have read books and been on line and know what happens to people who get Alzheimers.  How do you deal with this when you watch yourself do cognitive things that are just not right?
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2018 3:59 PM

Welcome, abbie.  I fell into a deep depression at the thought that I might have dementia.  Eventually I decided that if I did have dementia, I was not going out like a victim.  I would fight for my life!  I decided to do whatever I could for myself.  It was from the members here that I learned about Best Practices, which are lifestyle habits to improve functioning and to prolong the early stages.  They have been working for me.  They are not a cure, and the results are variable.  I think it is important to be proactive in order to have some control over our lives.  Get your affairs in order and then continue living your life, abbie!

Iris L.

PatJ
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:05 PM

I just joined tod.  way - my husband is ES.   Where can I find the Best Practices?
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 2:36 PM

Welcome, Pat.  Best Practices are lifestyle habits that include:

--taking medication as prescribed

--eating the Mediterranean diet fruits and vegetables for antioxidants, and nuts and fish for omega-3 fats

--exercising vigorously to tolerance

--continuing to stimulate the brain with new learning

--continuing to socialize.

We also get good sleep, avoid stress, and use complementary/alternate medicine as desired. There are many threads on all of these topics.

Please invite your husband to join us patients.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 6:39 PM

Hi Abbie,

Welcome to our world. I'm so glad you found us.

Before we were diagnosed, many of us worried about our symptoms. Now, we shrug, and say, oh that's just the ALZ.  

We also come up with strategies to cope.

And as Iris wrote, we participate in Best Practices.  

Do limit alcohol and no smoking.

Get involved with our on line board and your local Alz. Assoc. Community.  Are there memory Cafes or other support groups for those diagnosed.

× Close Menu