Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Concealed Handgun permit & firearms
Navy1911
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 11:21 PM

I am retired military & was on the US Navy Pistol Team & have been a handgunner for 50 years, I am 62 & newley diagnosed with early Alzheimers, I fully realize that I will have to give up my pistols at some point, I am still very lucid & still carry a pistol regularly. Politics aside, is there anyone here who has or is facing this decision. My doctor has indicated that he will be submitting paperwork to have my carry permit suspended so all this might be a done deal pretty quick anyways, lol. I will miss my sport & the right to excercise my 2nd amendment rights, however I am a gun safety guy. I will most likely pass on my pistols shortly so those around me feel safe. Thank you. Please coment
dayn2nite2
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:13 AM

A spouse on our boards has posted about a long experience with the legal system because her husband shot at a group of people from his property because they were making noise.  There is also the consideration that if you’re carrying and an officer tells you to disarm but you take too much time processing that instruction, you without a doubt will be shot.

Time to give up the firearms.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:36 AM

I had carried for over 25 years. I read one article and I totally gave it up many years ago. I know to many folks with dementia that go blank for a few moments and that is all it takes to have confusion and shoot a love one. I could not risk that so I sold them and gave my best one to my friend to carry on for me. I would also tell your doctor were to go unless you are really bad now days.  

eaglemom
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:30 AM

Navy1911 I believe you already know the answer to this question.  Yes carrying was something you used to do, but alas you need not carry anymore. It simply a matter of safety - your safety and the safety of others.

As others have said you simply don't / won't have the reaction time. Plus you might not be able to follow instruction from police, etc. I know its a bitter pill to swallow, this is something you used to be able to do. For your sake and safety please "retire" your weapons to others. 

eagle

ladyzetta
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 11:47 AM

My DH was 89 he was a gun collector and had many guns. I do not like guns so I was really glad when he got rid of them. He realized he was having problems. He also reloaded all of his ammo for himself and others. He had always said when he felt his techniques of measurement was failing he would stop reloading. So 5 years ago he knew it was time to stop so he gave all his reloading equipment away to his sons and most of his guns. He kept a few guns and they were hidden in the house. So when he was in MC I kept reassuring him the guns were still in the house. My DH passed away 2.5 months ago his guns are no longer in the house. I was real lucky he knew when it was time. It sounds like you will also know when it is time.
Horse Lover
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 5:27 PM

I work in law enforcement.  I am responsible for 2 guns while at work.  I have not yet informed my employer that I have been diagnosed with EOAD.  I'm still very capable of doing my job.  My husband works with me and is always within sight.  He told me that he will let me know when it is time to give it all up.  I also have a concealed carry license.  However, I do not carry or handle weapons when I am off of work.  I only have the license to prevent being arrested should my husband leave his weapon under the seat or somewhere that I'm not aware of.  If I am stopped while driving and have a weapon in the car, I could go to jail AND lose my job if I don't have that license.  Also, I have no interest in carrying.  We do target practice once a year before we qualify for work.  However, my husband arranges everything and gets the weapons ready.  I really don't even handle them except for that.  I know that some of you will disagree with my decision but again, my husband said that he will let me know when it is time to give up my job and when I should no longer be able to use a weapon.  I feel that I am ok for now and that my husbands judgement is one that can be trusted.  He has both of our welfare in our best interest.  His opinion is really the only one that I care about on this topic.

× Close Menu