Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Questions on Risperidone
Mauricio
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 9:36 AM

We just got my dad on 1mg of Risperidone after he started having really bad episodes of anger attacks for wanting to drive and also trying to leave the house. He's been on it for three days and it has made him calm down and forget about all these things. However, it has made him very sleepy and lacking energy. We're thinking of giving him .5 mg instead of 1 mg and see if it gets better. What we're afraid of is that lowering the dose will make him go back to the same anger episodes that have us really worried. Has this happened to any of you? Any thoughts or experiencies with Risperidone for this or any other cases of Alzheimer's?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

D in law
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 9:58 AM

My MIL did not respond well to this drug.  She also was way too tired and had runny bowels all the time  so we had to switch to something else.  I wouldn't change doses unless it is also advised by his Dr.  These types of drugs need to be carefully monitored.  In our experience we were able to stop the anti psychotics after just a few months at a regular dose and then gradually going down to nothing.  

Good luck, it's scary stuff (in my opinion) medicating dementia.  These drugs were not designed for it, but it if brings temporary relief to the sufferer and the caregivers then it's OK.  I know it has helped many people.

Mauricio
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 11:40 AM

Thanks.......
Eric L
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 12:25 PM

Mauricio - I think your best bet is to consult with the physician that prescribed the drug. Risperidone has been an absolute godsend in our house. We've been able to keep my MIL at home because of it.
Mauricio
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 1:07 PM

Right. It does seem like it will work on my dad, we just don't want him to be knocked down the whole day. I really hope this works as it will make his and our life a lot more peaceful. Thanks, Eric!
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 1:49 PM

Risperidone is rarely a first choice drug and it does carry a black box label. That said it is used when other drugs fail. Please monitor carefully. I use drugs.com to read about side effects and interactions.

/www.ajpb.com/news/antipsychotics-may-increase-mortality-risk-in-alzheimers-patients

I would try the .5.

Please keep us in the loop.

Mauricio
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:07 PM

Thanks
sixteenpaws
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:12 PM

My dad was prescribed Risperidone at 0.25 and 0.5 mg but it made him pace all night so it was DC'd. These medications need to be closely monitored at started at a low dose and titrated up, not started at a high dose and titrated down.  There is a DNA test that can be used to evaluate which antipsychotic meds might work better/worse for you, based on your genetics. I would inquire about that with your psychiatrist, if you are interested. It might help with the trial and error. My dad has been on many different AP meds and each time, ends up sedated, dehydrated and in the hospital with a  variety of blood imbalances. I hope you find something that works to calm your relative without sedating them!

× Close Menu