Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Wearing a liner in pull-up to help prevent UTI's?
LoriHolz
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 4:12 PM

Looking for those to share their experiences.  My MiL wears pull-ups, and for the large majority of the time, they stay dry. She has had several UTI's and today the nurse practioner mentioned that we should have her wear a panty liner inside the pull-up that can be changed every time she goes to the bathroom.  She mentioned that maybe the pull-up is shifting enough that she is getting contamination.  The problem is that I'm not sure she will be able to manage that on her own and we are trying to have a chance to be independent as much as possible.  Plus, twice a week she goes to an adult daycare program.  A slight confusion can turn into an obsession pretty quick.

So, what are your thoughts?  Does people have their LO change their pull-up at each bathroom visit?  Or, do they use panty liners and change those?  Or, just use a pull-up and change a few times a day even if dry?

Thanks in advance, 

Lori

NC caregiver
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 8:33 PM

Mom wears Depends & we just change when it is wet or soiled.   She does have a history of UTIs .  I don't really see how adding the liner would make a difference for prevention of UTI.  I have heard of people using then to make changes simpler & to save cost .  For Mom hydration seems to help the most . Mom's kidney function is not very good & bacteria builds up because she's not urinating often enough.
Relocated Daughter
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 11:17 PM

I used liners with my mom because the pull-ups absorbed so well that she didn't believe they were wet and she'd refuse to change them. It was easier to convince her the liner was wet and then take that out and replace it. This was mostly during the night, and it was easier to change the liner than the whole pull-up when we were up going the restroom 3-4 times/night.
Cheeto
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 8:50 PM

My LO wears thick, overnight depends all day and night. I used to have her wear less absorbent ones during the day but it got too confusing to her. She changes it every time she goes to the bathroom , which takes forever, but like someone else said, she never believed that they were wet so she was never changing them. This is not the most cost effective way to do things but it's the only way to make sure she stays relatively dry.

× Close Menu